Health, Fatness and Training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rvw

Guru
There is no other way to put this than....

"Bugger me, keeping a food diary is an enlightening (shocking) experience."
+1. Especially when someone at work brings in cream cakes for their birthday...

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
So far so good. Complete abstinence from booze. Near total abstinence from cheese, rigorous calorie counting/food&exercise diary Mon-Fri, slightly less rigorous but still being careful of a weekend. Saturday's off the bike as much as poss but doing other active stuff, Sunday's a club ride or off mtb'ing.

Two weeks in, half a stone gone. Back under 15 stone now, and gunning for fourteen-and-a-half. Gym programme starts this week, just core and upper body, and flexibility.

tadpole

So far so good. Complete abstinence from booze. Near total abstinence from cheese, rigorous calorie counting/food&exercise diary Mon-Fri, slightly less rigorous but still being careful of a weekend. Saturday's off the bike as much as poss but doing other active stuff, Sunday's a club ride or off mtb'ing.

Two weeks in, half a stone gone. Back under 15 stone now, and gunning for fourteen-and-a-half. Gym programme starts this week, just core and upper body, and flexibility.
Be warned, most ofthe weight you've lost in such a short time will be water weight, unless you've eaten/burnt 24,500 calories extra in the last two weeks. and when you join a gym it is easy to see your weight rise, (you'll start retaining water as you abuse/use your muscles) Ignore it, forget weighing yourself too often, once a month is more than enough (IMNSHO) warm up with a power walk, and then do your weight, then cardio (it's one way of feeling you've got your money's worth out of the gym), then cool down with a run/walk. Start Slow Have fun, keep going, Do you much, too soon, and you'll hate it and stop. YMMV

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Good start Greg. I don't agree with the above about expecting a gain when you start at the gym. If you carry on with the new regime, you will continue to drop, imho. I would also continue to weigh-in every week, to make sure you keep track and it will be motivational. I agree that the quick initial loss is probably mostly water weight, although the science says that if you carry on with deficits, you will carry on with losses, although they may be reduced, in scale.

Good luck.

tadpole

Good start Greg. I don't agree with the above about expecting a gain when you start at the gym. If you carry on with the new regime, you will continue to drop, imho. I would also continue to weigh-in every week, to make sure you keep track and it will be motivational. I agree that the quick initial loss is probably mostly water weight, although the science says that if you carry on with deficits, you will carry on with losses, although they may be reduced, in scale.

Good luck.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/351391-water-retention-in-muscles-after-exercise/

I love science.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Goldfish don't drink water, they absorb water through their skin...:angel:
Which is why I said hydrate not 'drink' :whistle:

Crankarm

Guru
It's not rocket science.

Eat less but a balanced diet of ALL food groups except kebabs and crisps. Don't totally cut out carbs. If you are truly active you need them unless you want to feel faint most of the time. Eat carbs in the morning when your body needs energy quickly. Think of carbs as your fuel. Don't fill up at the end of the day as you are not active and carbs will be stored as fat, unless you are deliberately carb loading.

Move more, more frequently, for longer and further.

Drink more instead of eating, water, not alcohol.

Do not eat late after 7pm, slob on the sofa then go to sleep.

Chin ups are very good for core muscles and back. As many as you can do.

Also go running.

tadpole

It's not science.

Don't fill up at the end of the day as you are not active and carbs will be stored as fat, unless you are deliberately carb loading.

Do not eat late after 7pm, slob on the sofa then go to sleep.

Fixed that for you

Your body does not have any clue as to the time, it doesn’t know if it’s 5pm or 11pm. “Calories in” is all that matters. If you eat a dozen doughnuts worth of calories over your daily need at 3pm or 7pm it will not make any difference to the amount of excess that is stored as fat. Eat too much and the excess will be stored even if you eat it all at midday and in one go.
If you want to eat after 8pm, eat, just eat real food rather than junk food, so have grilled chicken wrap with salad, rather than pizza.

Crankarm

Guru
Fixed that for you

Your body does not have any clue as to the time, it doesn’t know if it’s 5pm or 11pm. “Calories in” is all that matters. If you eat a dozen doughnuts worth of calories over your daily need at 3pm or 7pm it will not make any difference to the amount of excess that is stored as fat. Eat too much and the excess will be stored even if you eat it all at midday and in one go.
If you want to eat after 8pm, eat, just eat real food rather than junk food, so have grilled chicken wrap with salad, rather than pizza.

Sorry Tadople but your post is absolute rubbish. Peeps do not follow this advice.

Have you studied any biology in particular metabolism and nutrition because your post suggests you missed out on this?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I don't need to have studied biology to know that my body knows that it's midnight. For one, I'm usually asleep. And if I'm not, I'm tired.

I don't know whether there's anything in the theory that it's better to eat earlier because otherwise food is more easily stored as fat, but dismissing the theory on the basis of nonsensical statements isn't very sensible.

G2EWS

Some really useful advise on this thread, thanks for all the contributors.

Don't be put off by the title and read this. It has a holistic approach that will leave you with lots of ideas of how to go about reconciling fueling needs with weight loss needs, and hints and tips to get around the need to calorie count all the time.

Hi Vam, thanks for the link, I too had seen this recommended before, so have just bought and downloaded it to my iPad.

Regards

Chris

Top Bottom