Health, Fatness and Training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
So let me get this right, eating after a quantifiable time at night (say 7pm) will change the calorific value of the food you eat and make it change instantly into stored fat?
Or are you saying that people in a coma do not need to eat, as they are technically asleep and the body doesn’t burn calories when you are asleep?

Your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is the minimum amount of calories your body needs, just to live, not move about or sit up, just live. 24 hours a day 365.249 days a year. You know of course that you are burning calories all the time. Every second of every day

Next you multiply your BMR by a fixed amount to take into account your activity level
Harris Benedict Equation

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise): Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
If you are moderately active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

This gives you your: Total Daily Energy Expenditure
The TDEE is used to calculate the amount of calories your body needs to function in a normal day, what you need to move about and live.
So once you’ve worked out what you need to live your normal everyday life, you then calculate what you have to eat to lose weight.
There are two common ways to do this.
Either take your TDEE and subtract between 500 calories or 1000 calories (equates to between 1lb and 2lb per week)
Or
Eat your BMR and add your exercise calories.

MY TDEE is 2500 calories a day (that is what it takes to support/repair/fuel me in my sedentary life.
So I aim to eat 2000 calories per day on my “none exercise” days and 2000 + my exercise calories the rest of the time. TDEE minus 500 calories per day equals 1lb weight loss per week
(Personally I don’t eat them all back as both calculating my BMR/TDEE, and the Calories in my food is a bit more black magic rather than science)

However, getting back to my point
If I eat 4 meals at 500 calories per meal and burn 1000 calories doing exercise, I am in deficit, as I need to eat 2500 calories to live my sedentary life. So when I eat my chicken wrap at 9pm (380 calories) my body will use them to replace glucose and glycogen, and if there is any left over, then and only then, does it store them.
Now between your liver and muscles you can store roughly 1400 to 1600 calories worth glycogen. So living in a permanent deficit situation - as you must, to lose weight- you never get to the point where there is anything left, after your 1200 calories (BMR) your exercise Calories 1000 and the recharging of the liver/muscle glycogen 1400. Calories in equals 2000 calories – out equals 3600.

According to Columbia University Health Services. Calories you consume late at night have the same energy value as calories you consume at any other time. Some people have success reaching their weight loss goals by including an evening snack to stave off hunger and possible overeating the next day. For others, not eating after a certain time in the evening means successfully avoiding sugary or high-fat foods that can derail an otherwise healthy weight loss plan.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/440180-what-are-benefits-of-not-eating-before-bed/#ixzz275M5RNl7

Maintaining healthy nutrition is important for exercise because your muscles rely heavily on the foods, and primarily the carbohydrates, you eat daily. Your body digests carbohydrates into glucose (simple sugar), and either uses it for energy or stores it for later use. Extra glucose is stored mostly in the form of muscle glycogen (complex sugar). When you exercise, your body uses both glucose (quick, simple sugars) and glycogen (longer lasting, complex sugars)
http://health.columbia.edu/

There is no magic time after which the body stores fat. For instance, if you eat the same exact meal at 6 pm or at 8 pm, is one more caloric than the other? No, each meal has the same number of calories. What really matters is the total amount of food and drink you have over the course of a week, or a month or longer, and how much energy you expend during that timeframe. Excess calories will be stored as fat over time, regardless of whether they are taken in during the day or night.
When it comes to eating late at night and the potential for weight gain, there are several considerations:
Portion sizes — waiting to eat could lead to consuming larger portion sizes
Quality of food — after a long day of work or school, a few slices of pizza or a fast burger may seem easier than steamed vegetables and broiled fish
"Mindless snacking" — evenings spent studying, out on the town, or watching TV may lead to excess calories from fast, sugary, on-the-go options
Health concerns — consistent periods of going without food followed by a large meal can negatively impact the interaction between blood sugar and insulin and make you more vulnerable to Type 2 diabetes.
http://goaskalice.columbia.edu/eating-night-weight-gain-myth-or-fact

I will restate that your body does not have any clue as to the time, it doesn’t know if it’s 5pm or 11pm.
“Calories in” is all that matters.

Absolute rubbish.

Anyway your posts are clear copy and paste jobs.

IIRC Tadpole not long ago you admitted to being of a rather heavy disposition which is not suprising if you practice what you copy and paste.

tadpole

Absolute rubbish.

IIRC Tadpole not long ago you admitted to being of a rather heavy disposition which is not suprising if you follow the posts you have made above.
I think you will find they are called quotes, you'll find most of my posts are quotes, from the places I've included in the links, and, I'm a lardarse this is true, I've lost 100lb with 40lb to go, but I've lost 100lb eating 5 meals a day, the last one being after 7pm, everyday. finally in this is what I call "the winner", something you' need to think about,
If it is good enough real science for a reputable university to publish on its website as advice for people, then it is factually worth 100 times more than all your Broscience, opinions without any kind support for your own rebuttals.
I’m fat because I ate too much, not because all my calories magically turned in to fat once second after 1900hrs.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Absolute rubbish.

IIRC Tadpole not long ago you admitted to being of a rather heavy disposition which is not suprising if you practice what you copy and paste.

Cut & Paste it may be but tell us Crankarm, exactly which aspects are absolute rubbish and why? I happen to think it's correct, in the main.

Crankarm

Guru
Cut & Paste it may be but tell us Crankarm, exactly which aspects are absolute rubbish and why? I happen to think it's correct, in the main.

Pretty much all of it which is perhaps why Tadpole is of a large disposition.

What you eat, how much and when during your day determines how successful you are at maintaining a normal weight and being healthy. If you want to stuff your face late at night with pizza, crisps and cake because they have the calories you require because you have not had breakfast, neither lunch thus starving yourself all day, then be my guest, but you will become an over weight slob and probably die prmaturely from a heart attack and definately become diabetic. Each to their own.

Crankarm

Guru
The French rarely eat before 19:00. The Spanish almost never do. I am considerably more obese than the avg. "insert politically incorrect names for Frenchmen or Spaniards".

I work until 18:00 most days. It take 50 mins to get home. Her indoors, for some trifling reason related to working full-time educating other people's children, never has a meal on the table for me when I get home. (I know it's shocking but there we are). I abhor microwaved ready meals and I like cooking.

How am I meant to eat before 19:00?

My experience of living in France for 3 years was that French people had a proper lunch break, a sit down meal rather than eating a sandweech and drinking a Coke over their ordinateur while they work which is very much the British way.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
You're just taking things to extremes. Drama Queen, as usual. Nobody is suggest stuffing your face full of junk food. The bits about BMR and TDEE are quite acceptable and I maintain that as long as you have a consistent deficit - you will lose weight. If you were to stuff pizza, cakes, crisps every night - you most likely wouldn't be hitting your calorie target would you??

Furthermore, if you were to be in your target and eat nothing but junk at midnight everynight, then yes - you would still lose weight. It may not be healthy but you would lose.

tadpole

Pretty much all of it which is perhaps why Tadpole is of a large disposition.

What you eat, how much and when during your day determines how successful you are at maintaining a normal weight and being healthy. If you want to stuff your face late at night with pizza, crisps and cake because they have the calories you require because you have not had breakfast, neither lunch thus starving yourself all day, then be my guest, but you will become an over weight slob and probably die prmaturely from a heart attack and definately become diabetic. Each to their own.
Nope not good enough, sorry but we want facts as to why you think my post is absolute rubbish, nothing you've posted answer the question.
Stop avoiding answering the question or stop posting nonsense.
So apply Rule #five and either admit you are wrong or post evidence supporting your opinion.
Facts backed up with evidence not made up wrongheaded opinion.
Oh and I didn’t eat too late in the evening to get fat, I ate too much, end of story. I ate to many calories for the activity I was doing.

Crankarm

Guru
Nope not good enough, sorry but we want facts as to why you think my post is absolute rubbish, nothing you've posted answer the question.
Stop avoiding answering the question or stop posting nonsense.
So apply Rule #five and either admit you are wrong or post evidence supporting your opinion.
Facts backed up with evidence not made up wrongheaded opinion.
Oh and I didn’t eat too late in the evening to get fat, I ate too much, end of story. I ate to many calories for the activity I was doing.

I don't have to justify myself to you. I have posted on a number of threads where fat people have asked how to best lose weight. Perhaps if you had followed sensible nutritional advice from those of a normal healthy weight you wouldn't be carrying so much extra weight that you do now.

The proof is in the pudding really. I eat sensibly, at sensible times and avoid crap. This why I weigh 70kg. Probably could get down to 65kg, but at least I'm not a glutton who binge eats to excess late into the night who has unhealthy amounts of fat surrounding their vital organs and a huge belly. Euugh!!

Breakfast eat like a king, lunch eat like a prince and supper eat like a pauper.

Some of us have no choice but to eat later at night.

tadpole

This why I weigh 70kg. Probably could get down to 65kg, but at least I'm not glutton who binge eats to excess late into the night. Euugh!!
I’ve never said I supported binge eating, and you know that, in my first or second post I said swap a pizza for a chicken wrap.

Depending on your height 70kg could be overweight and of course being fit and healthy has no bearing on what you weigh.
If your body is the right weight and you have not enough LBM you are Skinny fat and that is unhealthy as being fat
However I guess you are not even interested in posting facts you are just a lowly troll bent on being as rude and annoying as you can, in that you’ve failed as you’ve amused me.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
What you eat, how much and when during your day determines how successful you are at maintaining a normal weight and being healthy.

When you eat during the day might affect your weight - if little exercise is taken; but it has been scientifically shown, that exercise does 'speed up' the metabolism for many hours afterwards.

I can't see how anyone who exercises on a regular basis, is going to be adversely affected by eating after 7pm. As stated already, the body doesn't know what time it is, but metabolic rate can be increased, simply by doing exercise . . . . . . . at any time of the day. Those who go to the gym soon after work in the early evening, need have no worries about eating long after 7pm.

The point that I'm trying to make, is that it is perfectly possible to increase metabolic rate at any time of the day or night.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
What mountain is this?

losing weight and getting fit Cranky, which also seems to be something Tadpole has been rather successful at as well.

Those of us of a 'chunkier' disposition do like to read about these success stories...inspirational is a word often used. Now, be fair, do you think that your contributions to these sorts of threads are ever going to inspire? I'm not claiming you need to do so but, apart from venting a bit, you're not really bringing anything to the party are you? Do you think that people like me are unaware of why we are overweight and how to fix it, or can you imagine that we're sometimes just looking for the right driver. Something that clicks and gets the ball rolling, or maybe just the knowledge of others success gives us some hope. You may feel that's melodramatic tosh, and you're probably right, but then you're not the one with a problem. But be very clear on this, there isn't an overweight adult in the land that hasn't heard the sort of advice you bring to the table.

I could easily haunt threads about drink or debt problems, pointing out that I have neither and how easy it is to avoid. But I don't see that as ever being a helpful contribution to make towards people that are struggling.

It's the net mate, we all get a bit challenged and a bit heated at times. I can look at some of my past contributions and think to myself...that was a bit wanky Al...sometimes I even remember and learn from this, or at least just avoid joining in on certain discussions.

Crankarm

Guru
I’ve never said I supported binge eating, and you know that, in my first or second post I said swap a pizza for a chicken wrap.

Depending on your height 70kg could be overweight and of course being fit and healthy has no bearing on what you weigh.
If your body is the right weight and you have not enough LBM you are Skinny fat and that is unhealthy as being fat
However I guess you are not even interested in posting facts you are just a lowly troll bent on being as rude and annoying as you can, in that you’ve failed as you’ve amused me.

Now now tadpole, personal insults will get you no where and show you have lost the argument. Only a lowly troll ....................

I thought human respiration and metabolism was part of the biology syllabus at school? Were you asleep. May be biology is no longer taught. Another casualty of dumbing down. Did you not study biology, human biology?

I am 5 feet 9 inches tall.

Top Bottom