Health issues with high calorie energy gels/drinks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tadpole

when I did the welsh 3000 - many many years ago, we lived on them, (and jam sandwiches) the really good bit is they foam in your mouth and as we were normally out of water and dry as hell we could get them down.
It would have been that really hot summer of 78? - lots of reservoirs dried up.

Licramite

Über Member
yes, - a younger sleaker version of me with a fully working heart if I remember right.

Lee_M

Guru
how do you lot manage to carry mars bars and jam sandwiches etc.

Don't they just end up in a sweaty melted mass in your pocket?

I carry gels as they're easy to carry, then stop for proper food somewhere

Flossyrockstar

Über Member

I carry my supplies in a rucksack, along with spare tubes, tools etc.

Arsen Gere

Über Member

I wrap jam sandwiches and tea cakes in kitchen foil and put them in my back pocket. I never use gels for normal rides just races.
Foil is easier to get in to when you are moving.

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
Cling film or kitchen foil?

Foil for me! Much easier to rip open on the go (and the resulting metal ball can be thrown if people don't hold their line in corners).

Ningishzidda

I was riding along and a silver coloured spherical object flew across my path. I told everyone at the end of the ride I’d seen a UFO.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I wasn't actually asking what people prefer, I was responding to Lee, with a rhetorical question, i.e. never heard of cling film or foil? hehe.

But on the subject of preference, I prefer cling film, because I tend to shove the litter up my short leg (so I don't have to fumble through a load of litter to find stuff in my pockets and end up dropping it) and foil is scratchy, cling film scrunches down very small too.

Lee_M

Guru
I wasn't actually asking what people prefer, I was responding to Lee, with a rhetorical question, i.e. never heard of cling film or foil? hehe.

But on the subject of preference, I prefer cling film, because I tend to shove the litter up my short leg (so I don't have to fumble through a load of litter to find stuff in my pockets and end up dropping it) and foil is scratchy, cling film scrunches down very small too.

Ive heard of it, but it doesn't seem to stop my food ending up a mangled sweaty mess!

Maybe I just have a higher level of hygeine standard that I dont want to eat something thats been bathed in my sweat for a couple of hours :rolleyes:

Ningishzidda

You mean you have room up your shorst legs.
I stuff litter down the waistband of my shorts cus there's only leg muscle up my shorts legs, and no room for anything else :laugh:

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
The most efficient way to recover from 'the bonk' or hypoglycemia is simple carbohydrate (sugar) in the form of glucose tablets (and a tube fits in the pocket nicely) orange juice also works but the source is fructose and not glucose (but is easy to get down). At this time you should NOT take any complex carbohydrate (or any other food source) as this will slow the absorption of the sugar, when you start to feel better (20 minutes maybe) then reload with complex carbohydrates.

Yep. take care of dem teef.

Top Bottom