Health issues with high calorie energy gels/drinks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Ive heard of it, but it doesn't seem to stop my food ending up a mangled sweaty mess!

Maybe I just have a higher level of hygeine standard that I dont want to eat something thats been bathed in my sweat for a couple of hours :rolleyes:

Then you needs to wrap it better I think. The wrapping may end up sweaty or wet etc but my food is always good to eat.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
You mean you have room up your shorst legs.
I stuff litter down the waistband of my shorts cus there's only leg muscle up my shorts legs, and no room for anything else :laugh:

So I have puny legs but you have a small penis? Is that what you are getting at? :laugh:

Licramite

Über Member
for rides of upto 3 hours I tend to carry stuff in my pockets or on the bike (neat little bag under the cross bar) but for all day rides I carry a rucksack. - mate of mine has a really neat one that is semi-framed so it site off your back with a gap for airflow, - so no sweaty back (flash git).

Ningishzidda

When organising one's self an Audax DIY, it is recommended to acquire a 'proof' every 25km or so. At newsagents, garages, grocers stores, coffee houses, cafes etc.

Why carry food and drink?

Peteaud

Veteran
On longer rides i will take a gel (Torq) and always have a pack of Zipvit chews about (love them as sweets). Tend to use High 5 drink but more due to habit and i bought a great big tub.

Cant stand red bull, monster, etc drinks, they are vile.

Licramite

Über Member
well red bull has been banned in several countries. - I haven't seen health warnings on other high energy / hi caffine drinks - yet.
It's odd people don't assiociate the food they eat with thier body - as in the case of the guy who ate 2 big bags of M&Ms and kealed over. - food is a drug - certain drugs have certain predictable effects, its the same with food.

Licramite

Über Member
Talking to a medic friend about drinks on rides and he said - why don't you drink Dyralite - it's used for dyhdration patients - it contains sugar and salts and comes in a couple of flavours.

I shall give it a go.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Hmm, the wife bought some bottles of coke, I use these on longer rides, according to the info list...600 kcals and easier to get down than gels.

Or is coke too simple?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Coke is good to some degree, have you never seen the pro's chug a small can of coke at the end of a race or from their musettes at the feed station?

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Seems to work for me at the moment. It wouldn't normally be my ride drink of choice, but wife got them thinking she was helping out.

The way I see it, no different to eating jelly babies on long rides, just easier for the body to metabolise, but I'm no expert at all and that may be total tosh.

Good point about the dehydration thing, I do take water as well.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
I carry gels as an emergency pick me up. A mental one of nothing else,the caffeine ones are really amazing for that.

In ride ill take granola bars, although its almost impossible to eat them while riding (for me anyway). Then I use a carby drink for the rest.

Top Bottom