Health & Safety gone MAD!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Arch said:
I imagine nuts in shells are better value anyway, because you get to watch the squizzle opening it up...
indeed. and you get a bag for about 79p and it lasts ages, even with two kids.

Arch said:
Alecs, I'd like a ticket to your "Bored to death by squizzle pics" evening please... I know they're nasty immigrants, but oh, so cute.

i'd recommend formby then, there is a reserve of red squirrels there (and you can buy peanuts to feed them), so you can enjoy them with a clear conscience ;)

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Keith Oates said:
When I used to work in the UK the people that went into health and safety were the ones that were not very successful in their chosen profession!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well the shop steward types had to find something to do didn't they?

mosschops2

Arch said:
Alecs, I'd like a ticket to your "Bored to death by squizzle pics" evening please... I know they're nasty immigrants, but oh, so cute.

In my tired state this morning - I managed to misread that as "tasty immigrants"!!! Which woke me up a bit!

Wasn't there something on the downsizer website about cooking squirrels??!!;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
TimO said:
Of course, it's really just some excessive little petty bureaucrat who doesn't have enough work to spend his time on, looking for things to create trouble, where the chances of a problem ever occurring are infintesimal.

Wouldn't it be good if there was a petty bureaucrat with not enough work to do who went the other way? Started looking up ancient bylaws about women being allowed to graze geese on the common and every citizen being required to present the mayor with a peppercorn once a year and so on, and enforced them? Sort of redtape gone mad, but 'mad' like in 'funny crazy:biggrin:.'

There's a sitcom in there....

Melvil

Arch;41050][quote=TimO said:
Of course, it's really just some excessive little petty bureaucrat who doesn't have enough work to spend his time on, looking for things to create trouble, where the chances of a problem ever occurring are infintesimal.

Wouldn't it be good if there was a petty bureaucrat with not enough work to do who went the other way? Started looking up ancient bylaws about women being allowed to graze geese on the common and every citizen being required to present the mayor with a peppercorn once a year and so on, and enforced them? Sort of redtape gone mad, but 'mad' like in 'funny crazy:biggrin:.'

There's a sitcom in there....[/quote]

There's an oft told story about a student doing an exam at one of our older universities. After looking up the ancient ancient university statutes, going back nearly one thousand years, the student called the invigilator over and demanded his 'pint of ale' as per the ancient statute. Unfussed, the invigilator calmly went and got him a pint of ale......

......then fined him a large sum of money for doing his exams without his sword!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Melvil said:
There's an oft told story about a student doing an exam at one of our older universities. After looking up the ancient ancient university statutes, going back nearly one thousand years, the student called the invigilator over and demanded his 'pint of ale' as per the ancient statute. Unfussed, the invigilator calmly went and got him a pint of ale......

......then fined him a large sum of money for doing his exams without his sword!

Fantastic! I envisage a whole town where suddenly, thanks to this bureaucrat, all the men have to wear hats on Tuesday, and do bow and arrow practice, and everyone has to salute poodles and so on...

A bit like Passport to Pimlico in some ways..

OP
OP
Tinkstheminks

Tinkstheminks

Arch;41134][QUOTE=Melvil said:

Fantastic! I envisage a whole town where suddenly, thanks to this bureaucrat, all the men have to wear hats on Tuesday, and do bow and arrow practice, and everyone has to salute poodles and so on...

A bit like Passport to Pimlico in some ways..[/QUOTE]

You know that all York citizens are allowed to kill Scott's with a bow and arrow from the walls of the city...also... every Man should, by law, practice his long staff technique and bowman ship every day!!!
And....
No invading alien force may mount an attack without a permit!!!!!!
I read that in a old by law book somewhere and it was brought in 1983 or there abouts!!!
I want to know... which department do you need to apply to and who will enforce it?!

You couldn't make this stuff up!!;)

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
kill scott's what?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Tinkstheminks said:
You know that all York citizens are allowed to kill Scott's with a bow and arrow from the walls of the city

I think the Scotsman has to be wearing a kilt... But I've never put it to the test!

bonj2

It's also apparently legal for an englishman to shoot a welshman who is in the act of riding from wales into england on a horse on the third friday of the month. Or something.
(But I think it has to be a bow and arrow, not sure a gun counts)

Melvil

alecstilleyedye said:
how do you know if he's welsh?

Just ask him to read out:

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

and if he leaves about half a gallon of spit on the floor he's welsh. If he sounds like a dim-witted monkey with a lisp he's english!

Top Bottom