Heart in my mouth moment today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
yeah, but it doesnt allow pedestrians to step out , when you've already started to turn

though they do ;)

If they're on the road before you pass the line, then they can "step out". Specifically at the start of the newest video they are clearly crossing that area.

Er no. I don't know you. Or do I? It was a bunch of chaps in the pub I was discussing this with.

Just to come back to this point...
That is the reason why I said "If it was on one of your videos..." as I noticed you moderate them and I don't see the comments yet.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
If it was on one of your videos I have a feeling that was me - unless you can tell me otherwise as I don't recall ever saying they don't have to look.

Example

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=kn3Q_13oiAs

0:31 here - the man is pretty much in the road before you turn the corner

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=3xxNJMeRUv4

0:54 - yes some places the pavement isn't wide enough and this is obviously a heavily pedestrianised area, you can't expect them to get out of the way for you

Now there are obviously some annoying ones there, they should look - but so you should and you wont be fully absolved of blame if you don't hit them. Cycling further out would help but this is a contraflow cycle lane - which obviously doesn't let you do that and is too narrow - I would dub this a crap(almost) cycle lane and not use it (after all you said you don't use cycle lanes in another video...?)

This type of place is perfect for closing off traffic during the day.

0.54- I disagree. He had every bit of space available there and its laziness to simply walk in the road. We have to apply common sense to this.

With 0.31 I'd go slightly further and say that he seems elderly. This may mean limited vision and/or mobility. I have to be honest I dont mind giving way in these situations.

marmalade400

0.54- I disagree. He had every bit of space available there and its laziness to simply walk in the road. We have to apply common sense to this.

If you disaprove of where he is walking (even though he has every right to be there) then is the correct response to pass him as close as possible and use the horn?
Where is the common sense in that? The pedestrian is in view for ages, the road is completely clear, surely the sensible thing to do would just be to ride a bit wider.

With 0.31 I'd go slightly further and say that he seems elderly. This may mean limited vision and/or mobility. I have to be honest I dont mind giving way in these situations.

If there is enough space, then surely the lazy option would be to walk on the pavement? Maybe he was passing the woman in front? Well that is what I was going to suggest as he stepped in but only just realised there was a horn involved.

Never even knew there was use of a horn as I'd been watching with the audio off.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
If you disaprove of where he is walking (even though he has every right to be there) then is the correct response to pass him as close as possible and use the horn?
Where is the common sense in that? The pedestrian is in view for ages, the road is completely clear, surely the sensible thing to do would just be to ride a bit wider.

Dont put words in my mouth. I never said it was right to make a close pass/honk horns (and if you get to know me you'll know I often state that we cyclists must not do to pedestrians as we have had done to us by drivers). I'm talking of the lack of common sense on his part, he is walking with the potential flow of traffic, he cannot see what is approaching and this is why its a daft thing to do.

And there is clearly room for him on the pavement.

marmalade400

Dont put words in my mouth. I never said it was right to make a close pass/honk horns (and if you get to know me you'll know I often state that we cyclists must not do to pedestrians as we have had done to us by drivers). I'm talking of the lack of common sense on his part, he is walking with the potential flow of traffic, he cannot see what is approaching and this is why its a daft thing to do.

And there is clearly room for him on the pavement.

I was not putting words in your mouth. Because your post only had criticism for the pedestrian I simply asked if you approved of the close pass/horn approach demonstrated in the video. I'm glad you dont!
To me the intimidating behaviour of the cyclist is far more of an issue than that guy walking in the cycle lane for a short distance. He was right in the gutter anyway, no cyclist or car should even need that space.

Top Bottom