Heart in my mouth moment today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Seriously thought I was going to hit a pedestrian today. Scared the life out of me! I came off the roundabout by Debenams HERE with a car in front of me. A lad of about 17-19 with stupid floppy hair sauntered out into the road at a fast walking space right up to the drivers door and looked to all intents and purposes like he was gambling on darting out behind it and in front of me (with a leg bent forward like he was about to sprint).

Trouble was I was doing about 25mph with a nice tailwind, and I realised he was a bit close for comfort. Instictively I tugged the brakes and came to a stop but he just stood there with this gormless expression on his face. I sighed in releif and rode off.

If the lad had walked a few feet up the road theres a pedestrian refuge at the traffic island nearer the rab. Pedestrians can be so ambiguous. :huh:

hypnose

lucky u didnt hit him them, i probably would have.:rolleyes:

On a shared ped / cycle path yesterday I was pootling on my ss when confronted by a group of teenagers spread almost across the path. I headed right towards the largest gap beside the group and away from the boys on skateboards on the left hand side of the group. Just as I was passing one skateboarder who had been skating backwards veered straight towards me and my back wheel. I tensed up and probably visibly flinched expecting to feel the impact of a teenage boy on my bike however when I looked back all I saw was him laying in a flowerbed with his peers laughing at him.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Peds shouldn't have to look where they're going as they always have priority (as I was told recently)

It does annoy me when people come out with claptrap like that ("expect the unexpected" thats another one, doh thats why its unexpected you morons :biggrin: ). Theres always a caveat - within reason. If someone sprints out between parked cars as happened to Tynan a while back there really isnt anything you can do.

Here however there was and I did as a caution. :tongue:

Peds shouldn't have to look where they're going as they always have priority (as I was told recently)

If it was on one of your videos I have a feeling that was me - unless you can tell me otherwise as I don't recall ever saying they don't have to look.

Example

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn3Q_13oiAs

0:31 here - the man is pretty much in the road before you turn the corner

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xxNJMeRUv4

0:54 - yes some places the pavement isn't wide enough and this is obviously a heavily pedestrianised area, you can't expect them to get out of the way for you

Now there are obviously some annoying ones there, they should look - but so you should and you wont be fully absolved of blame if you don't hit them. Cycling further out would help but this is a contraflow cycle lane - which obviously doesn't let you do that and is too narrow - I would dub this a crap(almost) cycle lane and not use it (after all you said you don't use cycle lanes in another video...?)

This type of place is perfect for closing off traffic during the day.

Jaguar

If it was on one of your videos I have a feeling that was me -

Er no. I don't know you. Or do I? It was a bunch of chaps in the pub I was discussing this with.

Jaguar

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=3xxNJMeRUv4

0:54 - yes some places the pavement isn't wide enough and this is obviously a heavily pedestrianised area, you can't expect them to get out of the way for you

I've had another look at that vid (thanks for your comment). At 0.54 the pavement is empty, the man is simply walking in the cycle lane for why? the sheer fun of it?
Yes, I do expect him to get out of the way, I expect him to walk on the footpath. I'm confused about why I'm in the wrong here?

btw, same cycle lane is on this latest clip: if there was an alternative route into town, I would use it. Having said that, the cycle lane is (contraflow) on a road heavily used by buses & taxis (and the odd norty car) so I fail to understand why pedestrians simply step off the pavement without looking

I've had another look at that vid (thanks for your comment). At 0.54 the pavement is empty, the man is simply walking in the cycle lane for why? the sheer fun of it?
Yes, I do expect him to get out of the way, I expect him to walk on the footpath. I'm confused about why I'm in the wrong here?

btw, same cycle lane is on this latest clip: if there was an alternative route into town, I would use it. Having said that, the cycle lane is (contraflow) on a road heavily used by buses & taxis (and the odd norty car) so I fail to understand why pedestrians simply step off the pavement without looking

This is where pedestrian rights of way come in... I can walk up a road all day long and I don't have to get out of the way for anyone (if you have ever hiked in the UK footpaths tend to end on roads where you need to take it to the next footpath etc).

And yes, sometimes the pavement isn't wide enough.
Just like sometimes the cycle path isn't wide enough (next time you venture out on the contraflow think about this).
Just like sometimes the road isn't wide enough.

I'm sure motorists expect you to cycle in the cycle lane, when its not required... just like walking on the pavement isn't required.

It sounds like this video you have linked is a pedestrianised area then - hence the reason why people use the full area.

And you hate pedestrians? I'm sure they're all bad... just like the way some people hate cyclists, because we're obviously all pavement cycling red light jumping lycra clad lunatics...

New video

0:00 you crossed a dashed line, you are required to give way there (as if you are passing into a junction).

0:17 is the car still waiting? that is a junction the zebra crossing and it looks like (correct me if I am wrong as the video cuts out) you are about to pass a car on a junction - bad

davefb

Guru
might have 'right of way' , but it's quite explicit in the highway code that to cross roads or whatever you should use the green cross code and look.

it would be mitigation, if you knocked one over and they hadnt looked, then you wouldnt be at fault, no matter what someone says about 'always have right of way'.

If you could avoid it then it would be your fault... this obviously depends when they step out.

A few of these videos they are in the road for ages before cyclists approaches... thus avoiding a collision is easy (yet an annoyance).

Oh and btw, if you are talking right of way turning into a junction - cyclists/motorist turning into that junction would be 100% in the wrong as you are supposed to wait until it is clear.

davefb

Guru
If you could avoid it then it would be your fault... this obviously depends when they step out.

A few of these videos they are in the road for ages before cyclists approaches... thus avoiding a collision is easy (yet an annoyance).

Oh and btw, if you are talking right of way turning into a junction - cyclists/motorist turning into that junction would be 100% in the wrong as you are supposed to wait until it is clear.

yeah, but it doesnt allow pedestrians to step out , when you've already started to turn

though they do ;)

marmalade400

Yes, I do expect him to get out of the way, I expect him to walk on the footpath. I'm confused about why I'm in the wrong here

The road is empty too, but instead of going round him you cycle straight at him then go mental on the horn once you are right behind him. I take it you would be happy for a driver to treat you the same?

In your videos it seems like you are trying to almost hit people, getting as close as you can and even deliberately refusing to take precautionary or evasive measures in order to prove a point.

Please try to give the same level of consideration to pedestrians as you would like drivers to give to you.

DrSquirrel is giving you good advice, especially the bits about respecting give way lines and turning into side streets.

Top Bottom