Heart no longer managing cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Anonymous1502

My resting heart rate tends to be 90-100bpm the gp said they are not worried, my ecgs always come back fine and I had many. Yesterday I did an 125km audax event I really struggled the whole ride and felt very out of breath. I did 100km before and managed just fine I never struggled so much in my life.

At home despite resting, eating well, keeping hydrated and using electrolytes my heart rate skyrocketed to 128 despite resting for 2 hours and my blood pressure fell to 80/45 the doctors think it was the cycling that caused it. Does this mean I should stop cycling? I had something like that happen when I was sitting down most day and did no strenuous exercise.

Did anyone have anything like that happen to them?

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Probably coming down with something, or didn't eat/drink properly before and during the ride. Take it easy for a week or so and let yourself recover then see how you feel.

We all have bad days occasionally, even me!

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Probably coming down with something, or didn't eat/drink properly before and during the ride. Take it easy for a week or so and let yourself recover then see how you feel.

We all have bad days occasionally, even me!
I personally thought I ate well as I brought a lot of food and energy gels as well as lots of water with hydrating tablets. So that's why I feel a bit confused about yesterdays event.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Did anyone have anything like that happen to anyone here?
Er, I am going to have to put the pants back on everybody on the forum so I can bore them back off again... :whistle: :laugh:

YES!

I've just remembered what my worst experience on a bike was ... (how could I forget!)

Our Brad had just won the Tour de France and Cav had taken the final stage - again! It was a sunny day and a mate had cycled over so we decided to go and do a hilly little local loop to celebrate.

We cycled along the A646 to Mytholmroyd, a couple of flat miles. We were only doing about 15 mph but I seemed to be struggling to stay with my mate. I probably needed a while to warm up?

We turned right and soon passed the sign marking the start of the Cragg Vale climb. It ascends 968 ft in 5.5 miles, a mere 3.3% average. It is not a hard climb, with only a short section of about 8% midway.

Suddenly, Cragg Vale morphed into Alpe d'Huez and my mate became Contador! Effortlessly, he danced on his pedals and sprinted away from me on the intimidating gradient.

Reality check: Er, no, this was Cragg Vale, and the cyclist disappearing into the distance without even trying was my mate. I was terribly out of breath and gasping on the early 2% slopes. I was riding in a tiny gear and only doing about 2 mph. Something was wrong - I felt like I was dying on my bike!

The rest of the climb was awful and it took me nearly an hour. I rested at the top and then carried on to complete the rest of the 19 mile loop, got home, and collapsed in a heap on the stairs leading up from my kitchen. My pal made me a big mug of tea which I barely had the strength to drink.

Those of you have looked inside my 'GWS' thread will know what had happened ... I had developed a DVT (blood clot) in my leg, which led to a pulmonary embolism (feckin' big blood clot in my lungs!) - I literally had nearly died on my bike!

I ended up getting very ill and being carted off to hospital.

I've been terribly breathless on my bike lots of times, but normally it is after doing something silly like dragging my overweight body up a 20% climb. Experiencing it doing 2 mph on a tiny drag was no fun at all!
My RHR was usually sub-50 bpm, but it went up to about 150!

I'm not suggesting that you have the same problem, but I wouldn't ignore it for too long in case it does turn out to be something sinister.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Sometimes it's just a result of a virus, or a change in your general fitness, I picked up a virus in 2018 which knocked me out for months, I'm over it now but I didn't really start to gain fitness until the end of 2019.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Sometimes it's just a result of a virus, or a change in your general fitness, I picked up a virus in 2018 which knocked me out for months, I'm over it now but I didn't really start to gain fitness until the end of 2019.
I have had no virus for years and I recovered fine after having the flu years ago. My temperature is good and I have no viral symptoms.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Your resting heart rate is at the upper limit of what’s considered normal. Plus that blood pressure was extremely low. What was your doctors explanation of cycling causing the low BP? I’m surprised your doctor has no concerns at all. How is your blood pressure now?
I asked the doctors questions and they didn't seem to know the answers because the blood work and ecg was fine they didn't seem to have any concerns and they gave me 3 sets of iv fluids.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Your resting heart rate is at the upper limit of what’s considered normal. Plus that blood pressure was extremely low. What was your doctors explanation of cycling causing the low BP? I’m surprised your doctor has no concerns at all. How is your blood pressure now?
My blood pressure and pulse are good today:113/79 and 77 pulse
That's strange

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Er, I am going to have to put the pants back on everybody on the forum so I can bore them back off again... :whistle: :laugh:

YES!

My RHR was usually sub-50 bpm, but it went up to about 150!

I'm not suggesting that you have the same problem, but I wouldn't ignore it for too long in case it does turn out to be something sinister.
I will edit the post, I was typing fast and got a bit muddled :wacko:

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Okay maybe monitor daily for a bit to determine what’s normal for you.
There are days where the pulse is consistently in the low 100s it all definitely jumps a lot. Blood pressure jumps a lot too there are times where pulse is good but blood pressure is bad or pulse is bad and blood pressure is good or both are bad.

When the pulse is very high or blood pressure is low I can definitely feel it as I usually feel dizzy and weak and I can feel my heart pounding . So it is not about the numbers purely but I don't feel well

Last edited:
I've found some 'energy' drinks and gels have a serious affect on my heart rate. Taurine especially seems to cause a spike in heart rate. Also I've been off coffee for years since that too was over stimulating my heart rate leading to Afib.

Try some more basic foods on the next ride, less sugar and caffine, to see if your recovery rate improves.

Top Bottom