Heart no longer managing cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

If they haven't done an ECG whilst you're having symptoms, it means nothing at all.

I've had two Bruce tests, two 24 hour Holters, and a seven day Holter, but the only times they've ever seen my arrhythmia were the other ten occasions when I fetched up at the hospital in an ambulance. If you have atrial flutter there's also the possibility you're dealing with a doctor who can't tell the difference between that and sinus tachycardia, because they're easily mistaken.
When you were in hospital in an ambulance and had ecgs then, were they fine? Did any of your ecgs ever come back bad?

vickster

Legendary Member
Have they tested you for Covid to check there’s not some viral cause as it’s an unusual disease

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Yes I have been tested but I haven't got the results yet but I doubt I have it since I don't have a fever or a cough and my sense of taste and smell is fine

Aren't you at Uni ? You'll be asymptomatic. We tested a bunch of our students and over 40% were positive. :wacko:

You've most likely got a bug if this has come on only recently.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Aren't you at Uni ? You'll be asymptomatic. We tested a bunch of our students and over 40% were positive. :wacko:

You've most likely got a bug if this has come on only recently.
I keep going between uni and home since most things are online, currently I am home.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
I had issues with heart palpitations for years. Don't have them very often now, but they caused me huge anxiety.

Food certainly affected mine, though other things did as well. After reading a few articles I avoided the obvious things like caffeine, but also fruit juices and bananas and tinned salad beans. I was once a little ill with what was probably a virus, then drank fruit juice, and ended up in A and E with tachycardia and my heart skipping all over the place. The one thing to avoid is energy drinks - caffeine and sugar is a very bad combination for anyone with heart issues. Check the ingredients of your supplements and gels.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...s-blamed-foods-ripe-bananas-cheese-beans.html

Ecgs are useful, but they are just a snapshot. Likewise, I have had 24hr monitors on a 'quiet day' that only caught a few hundred skipped beats, when other days I have had them all day long.

If you are young, doctors are unlikely to be concerned about a one off case of tachycardia, as it could be food or virus related, but as others have said, have a look at what you ate and drank that day (especially sugar and caffeine), keep a note of your heart rate and bp for the next few weeks, and consider a covid test. If it happens again, it needs further investigation - 24hr monitor and preferably a scan. Best wishes.

Edit: my 21 year old niece had covid a couple of weeks ago. Tested positive with no symptoms other than a bit tired with a slightly sore throat. Only had a test because she works in a shop and wanted to be extra careful.

Sorry, just realised you are awaiting a covid test result.

Last edited:

Johnno260

Veteran
Your resting heart rate is at the upper limit of what’s considered normal. Plus that blood pressure was extremely low. What was your doctors explanation of cycling causing the low BP? I’m surprised your doctor has no concerns at all. How is your blood pressure now?

Depends on the doctor, some don’t give a rats.
When I did martial arts to a decent standard, and suffered a muscle injury, I asked my GP what I should do and his answer was stop.

I said ok fine so in a few years when I’m obese and have diabetes I can say it’s fine the doctor said don’t work out?

after my flippant comment he said I suppose I can sigh off for some physio.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Depends on the doctor, some don’t give a rats.
When I did martial arts to a decent standard, and suffered a muscle injury, I asked my GP what I should do and his answer was stop.

I said ok fine so in a few years when I’m obese and have diabetes I can say it’s fine the doctor said don’t work out?

after my flippant comment he said I suppose I can sigh off for some physio.
I also don't want to stop doing sports, I enjoy cycling and there are still lots of cycling adventures I want to have. Decreasing cycling to leisurely 1-2 hour journeys feels a bit sad.

faster

Über Member
Simple nutritional deficiencies can cause this sort of thing even if you think you are eating well. They are not the sort of thing the NHS is great at picking up either.

A good multivitamin covers a lot a bases, won't do any harm and is basically cheap insurance. If you aren't already, it's worth a try.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Simple nutritional deficiencies can cause this sort of thing even if you think you are eating well. They are not the sort of thing the NHS is great at picking up either.

A good multivitamin covers a lot a bases, won't do any harm and is basically cheap insurance. If you aren't already, it's worth a try.
I take b12 and iron supplements along with a multivitamin containing things like vitamin D etc, my blood tests were good so I assume I have no deficiencies.

Top Bottom