Heart no longer managing cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Why not? Because they don’t think anything is wrong?
The ecg and blood work was fine. I don't quite understand what is wrong and what it means for my lifestyle all that I was told was to drink plenty of water, eat regularly and add salt to my cooking which is what I have always done. I don't know whether or not I can engage in more intense cycling.

classic33

Leg End Member
I take b12 and iron supplements along with a multivitamin containing things like vitamin D etc, my blood tests were good so I assume I have no deficiencies.
Is the "no deficiencies" as a result of the supplements being taken or as part of your normal diet?

vickster

Legendary Member
The ecg and blood work was fine. I don't quite understand what is wrong and what it means for my lifestyle all that I was told was to drink plenty of water, eat regularly and add salt to my cooking which is what I have always done. I don't know whether or not I can engage in more intense cycling.
If it was a one off, I’d just carry on as usual, but include plenty of rest days, other types of exercise, jogging, walking, swimming and if cycling any distance make sure there are bail points on your routes, like railway stations so you can get home easily if needed. Eat proper food before, during and after, forget the processed crap like gels and bars (make your own flapjacks)

has the Covid test come back clear?
do you have asthma? Have you been checked for it?

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

If it was a one off, I’d just carry on as usual, but include plenty of rest days, other types of exercise, jogging, walking, swimming and if cycling any distance make sure there are bail points on your routes, like railway stations so you can get home easily if needed. Eat proper food before, during and after, forget the processed crap like gels and bars (make your own flapjacks)

has the Covid test come back clear?
do you have asthma? Have you been checked for it?
It wasn't a one off, the same thing has happened couple times now for the past few months. I don't have asthma and I haven't heard back about the cover test so perhaps it is a good result or they haven't analysed it yet?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You don't need salt in any of your cooking ! I never add it.

I think you've over done it as you are very new to it, and 100km is quite a distance from basically very little. The endurance of it, whilst not 'hard' can take it out of you, add in seasonal bugs.

Just chill and stop worrying so much - that won't help either. Better off speaking to a medical professional, not a bunch of internet people. If the GP isn't too worried, don't be.

vickster

Legendary Member
It wasn't a one off, the same thing has happened couple times now for the past few months. I don't have asthma and I haven't heard back about the cover test so perhaps it is a good result or they haven't analysed it yet?
I wouldn’t worry if a couple of times. Most people would struggle with the distances you do (including myself)

Ajax Bay

Guru
Your resting heart rate is at the upper limit of what’s considered normal. Plus that blood pressure was extremely low. What was your doctors explanation of cycling causing the low BP? I’m surprised your doctor has no concerns at all. How is your blood pressure now?
My resting heart rate tends to be 90-100bpm
My blood pressure and pulse are good today:113/79 and 77 pulse
the doctors said it was the 125km cycling that caused it.
YB nailed the questions. I would ask for another call (phone) with the doctor and get the assessed cause very clear and verbatim, and the rationale for that assessment.
Over a short period of time (a month, say) you have only have one normal resting HR. And it's 77. I would measure mine daily, and record it, if you think this is going to affect what you do.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

A resting HR of 90-100bpm is in the top decile (20 year old in healthy population). How did you determine this? [In bed, first thing on waking gently, supine.] I am interested as I'm an 'outlier' (in these data) myself.
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhsr/nhsr041.pdf
I have a blood pressure monitor which also measures the heart rate. I measure it sitting up with feet flat and the floor after I have been sitting for a while for it to be considered resting.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Sounds all very stressful. Wake up, get hold of your watch or phone, stay lying down, . . . . . relaxxxxx . . . , find your wrist, temple or throat pulse, count 'zero' when a beat coincides with a second, count for 10 or 12 or 15 seconds and do the math.

I have a similar situation to you, elevated HR, spiking well above theoretical max HR on the bike. Had a stress ECG which returned normal.
Sat at my desk, over an hour since I got off the bike, pulse is currently 115.

Do you have a heart rate monitor on when cycling? When I ride I need to watch my HR like a hawk because even though it doesn't feel like I'm riding hard my HR can shoot through the roof and tire me out much more quickly if I'm not paying attention (not to mention the risk of further damage by riding at intensity for long rides).

How is your sleep?

fossyant

I have a blood pressure monitor which also measures the heart rate. I measure it sitting up with feet flat and the floor after I have been sitting for a while for it to be considered resting.

You could also be getting white coat syndrome - I do at Docs, despite not being 'bothered. Had 24h monitor before, and my BP rocketed at work, but as soon as I was home and asleep , very low - so overall OK.

fossyant

Also OP, aren't you 19-20 ? No need to be worried, and certainly no need for BP machines. If you've not been exercising like this for long, then yes you will suffer after. I was doing long club rides from 16, and got battered at first. My son, being 19, can suddenly fly past me on a climb, but he runs out of 'puff' quite quickly (and he is T1) and his bloods run low. He hasn't got 'pacing' - I've told him 'this climb takes 20 minutes at my pace', whe will go fast then be knackered within a couple of minutes. It's experience. He doesn't ride often, and is a bean pole.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Also OP, aren't you 19-20 ? No need to be worried, and certainly no need for BP machines. If you've not been exercising like this for long, then yes you will suffer after. I was doing long club rides from 16, and got battered at first. My son, being 19, can suddenly fly past me on a climb, but he runs out of 'puff' quite quickly (and he is T1) and his bloods run low. He hasn't got 'pacing' - I've told him 'this climb takes 20 minutes at my pace', whe will go fast then be knackered within a couple of minutes. It's experience. He doesn't ride often, and is a bean pole.
I am not a very fast cyclist my average speed is 18-22km/h depending how flat the terrain is. I would say that I pace myself well. I think I will just try to take it easy and do more local rides for now so I can get home easily if I am struggling.

Top Bottom