Heart no longer managing cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Thing is, cycling can let you ride further than you think is OK, as it's none impact, then you have to get back. Regular riding is the key, not a big miles once a week. Little and often is the key, keep doing it regular.

MrsF struggles on the bike - can ride quite fast, but pop in some wind and cold, she can't cope. She's not a regular cyclist and she's not used to breathing in cold air.

The fittest cyclists are those that commute every day. Doesn't have to be that far. I got very fit doing it. I'm not now, since a broken spine 5 years ago (from commuting) but since lock down, I'm getting out more often as I'm WFH so commute from home to home when I want - doesn't have to be hours, but an hour 3 days a week is far better than 3 hours at weekend in one go for fitness. My mates from this forum, that are commuting every day, are fitter than me now. We were similar when I was commuting. It doesn't mean riding flat out, it's about how often.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I also don't want to stop doing sports, I enjoy cycling and there are still lots of cycling adventures I want to have. Decreasing cycling to leisurely 1-2 hour journeys feels a bit sad.
You're young. You're fit. It will work out. The important thing is to follow medical advice and listen to your body.

If I can offer a little encouragement. I'm 66. January 2019 I had a brain haemorrhage, after 10.5 hours surgery my wife was told "first we have to see if he wakes up." Four months later I was told to limit my cycling to 10-20 minutes a day.

Today I'm riding 150-200 miles/week and in the form of my life.

We all have blips. Take it easy but continue to ride while listening to your body. It's clear cycling is important to you. Mental and physical health are equally important. Do what you love because stopping will make it harder to recover physically.

Don't worry. Fit people can take a lot more than most folk.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Consider riding with a HR sensor and display, for your longer rides.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garmin-E...270004?hash=item2d19f8e3f4:g:ggQAAOSwE7lfhvGp
I have my HR as the main window (of 5) on the display. If I'm pushing over 140 then probably going too hard for a 10 hour ride. If over 160 on the hills then I'm on the limit. If I push hard at the end of a hill I (this year at advanced age) can get over 175. If it's less than 120, I'm loafing. If I'm leading a weaker cyclist I know that if I go more than 115 she won't be able to hold my wheel.
And after getting all excited typing this, my HR is 55 ;)

ianbarton

Veteran
Consider riding with a HR sensor and display, for your longer rides.
I find my HR sensor very useful. My max is around 185bpm, which I can sustain for only a very short time. On hills, I can maintain 160 for some distance, but if I go much above this I have to slow down to a much lower rate.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

After following the thread right the way through, I'm still of the opinion it was caused by the over-use of gels and sugary energy snacks. Quite literally, a burger and fries would probably have been better!
From watching gcn videos I had the impression that when cycling you needed to eat foods that have a high sugar content as they all seemed to survive on energy gels, cereal bars, coffee and cake. If I am cycling in the middle of nowhere and there are no shops what do I bring with me from home?

vickster

Legendary Member
From watching gcn videos I had the impression that when cycling you needed to eat foods that have a high sugar content as they all seemed to survive on energy gels, cereal bars, coffee and cake. If I am cycling in the middle of nowhere and there are no shops what do I bring with me from home?
What food do you like to eat? Sandwich, banana, apple, sausage roll, homemade cake or flapjack, Malt loaf, just some haribo or jelly babies if you want a more palatable sugar hit, even a boiled egg (xx() All easy to carry

As @vickster says, just take an ordinary packed lunch.

After following the thread right the way through, I'm still of the opinion it was caused by the over-use of gels and sugary energy snacks. Quite literally, a burger and fries would probably have been better!

I'm not so sure. I've done lots of Ironman races so it's sugary stuff for over 12 hours. I've never had my heart racing like this.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

What food do you like to eat? Sandwich, banana, apple, sausage roll, homemade cake or flapjack, Malt loaf, just some haribo or jelly babies if you want a more palatable sugar hit, even a boiled egg (xx() All easy to carry
I thought flapjack was quite sugary? Next time I will take a peanut butter sandwich and a banana. I am a vegan so I don't eat meat or egg. Thank you for your help :smile:

rivers

How far can I go?
For longer rides (for me anything 85+ miles is a longer ride), I take a peanut butter sandwich, apple slices, peanuts and the like. One bar of some description and one gel. I generally have eggs on toast on a stop. For my double century, we had peanut butter slathered on rice cakes, nuts, soreen, some gels and bars, but mostly real food. After we passed 160 miles, none of us could eat anyway.

Top Bottom