Heart no longer managing cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I thought flapjack was quite sugary? Next time I will take a peanut butter sandwich and a banana. I am a vegan so I don't eat meat or egg. Thank you for your help :smile:
Make your own you can put as little or as much sweet stuff in that you want. Sweeten with honey or dried fruit perhaps
Make sure you have a big bowl of porridge before you leave
You can get vegan sausage rolls and similar, vegan cheese etc

Next time I will take a peanut butter sandwich and a banana. :smile:
Perfect!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
From watching gcn videos I had the impression that when cycling you needed to eat foods that have a high sugar content as they all seemed to survive on energy gels, cereal bars, coffee and cake. If I am cycling in the middle of nowhere and there are no shops what do I bring with me from home?

No no no.....

GCN - well, whilst entertaining, they do talk some crap. You need complex carbs, not sugary stuff. Energy gels are for emergencies.

Drink, can be water, water and a fruit juice added, or a carb drink (long distances). Food, just take something you can eat - bananas, cereal bar, sandwich cut into bike sizes.

If you are thinking about caffeen and sugar, then no wonder your HR is spiking. Eat normally. You don't need a whole load of food on 100km.

I do a fair amount of MTB'ing in the real middle of no-where and I'll have a couple of gels and cereal bars as an emergency back up. I'll carry a couple of bananas and fluids of a 3-4 hour ride. The last one I did a few weeks ago, I just had fluids over 3-4 hours, and a pint and a bag of crisps near the end of the ride.

From watching gcn videos I had the impression that when cycling you needed to eat foods that have a high sugar content as they all seemed to survive on energy gels, cereal bars, coffee and cake. If I am cycling in the middle of nowhere and there are no shops what do I bring with me from home?

Salty stuff is good too. Crisps, savoury crackers, nuts, rice cakes...

To be honest, you can't beat a good packed lunch.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

If she tries a ride with normal food and has no racing heart then it could be down to the sugar and caffeine
I have the Sis energy gels I looked at the ingredients and there is no caffeine inside them.

Ajax Bay

Guru
No no no.....
I grabbed that quote, saying "no, no ,no" and scrolled down to find @fossyant had beaten me to it ;)
[NB: Off topic]
Real food is king: a savoury and sweet sandwich combo, and 2 bananas gives you all you need for 100km. Assumes a hearty breakfast before the long ride starts.
Completed a 600 yesterday (well nearly today). Food for 42 hours:
a) Salted cashew nuts with extra salt (you must have salty to complement the sweet), flame raisins and broken up cookies for 'as you ride' snacking. Vegans could use Oreos.
b) 'Clif' bars and 'Vifit' bars all (out-of-date :laugh:) given by long distance triathlete daughter: have checked and cannot see non-vegan constituents in the Clif bars but the Vifit ones have a tad of 'milk'. I would not take these if they weren't 'free' - I'd take flapjack bars: sugar/syrup for energy now and oats for energy later (GI index) - can be made dairy free.
c) Bananas - about one per 100km.
d) Otherwise food from garages and shops (about 4 stops)
e) Fish and chips both evenings

Top Bottom