3-Ingredient Banana Oatmeal ... cookies?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Dropped on this recipe the other day and was struck by how good a source of energy they might be for a quick cycling snack:

View: https://youtu.be/3rQ-LrmzG3w

But don't think 'cookie' as in crumbly or biscuity. These are more akin to those chewy, fruity bars ... but with oats.
Really easy to make and easily adapted. I substituted dried fruit for choc chips and am going to have a shot at chopped dried apricots with pumpkin seeds, and cranberries with toasted chopped hazlenuts. any other suggestions?

wisdom

Guru
Think I'll give them a go.Pumpkin seeds added would go well.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Not watched it properly but looks like a fantastic idea as I could not see any margerine going in. That means they will be low in saturated fat unlike normal cookies which are sinfull. I would try sunflower seeds as they are good for the immune system.

OP
OP
IaninSheffield

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Not watched it properly but looks like a fantastic idea as I could not see any margerine going in. That means they will be low in saturated fat unlike normal cookies which are sinfull. I would try sunflower seeds as they are good for the immune system.
Yep, no fat. Though of course some could be added, or indeed some sugar if that's to someone's taste. Easy to modify.

OldShep

Über Member
For those of you who are like me and can never be a***d to watch a 7 minute video when a 30 second read tells you all you need to know.
Also 'quick oats' just grind some up in the liquidiser.

INGREDIENTS
  • 1.5 cups oatmeal I used 1/2 cup rolled and 1 cup quick
  • 2 medium bananas
  • 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips

INSTRUCTIONS
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • Line a rimmed baking sheet with a silpat mat or coat with some cooking spray.
  • Using the back of a fork, mash bananas in a medium bowl until they are broken down. Add in oats and gently stir until all of the oats and bananas are mixed together and look like a thick cookie batter.
  • Now your ready to add the chocolate chips! Sprinkle them into the dough and stir until they are just mixed throughout.
  • Scoop one heaping tablespoon of the dough into your hands and free form into a cookie*. Place on cookie sheet and continue until you have 12 cookies.
  • Cook for 12-15 minutes or until set through and lightly golden. Cool and enjoy!

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I suspect this will be better the riper the bananas are - they are sweeter when ripe. One reason I rarely make banana cake - bananas don't last long enough in this house to go ripe enough :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
For those of you who are like me and can never be a***d to watch a 7 minute video when a 30 second read tells you all you need to know.
Also 'quick oats' just grind some up in the liquidiser.

INGREDIENTS
  • 1.5 cups oatmeal I used 1/2 cup rolled and 1 cup quick
  • 2 medium bananas
  • 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips

INSTRUCTIONS
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • Line a rimmed baking sheet with a silpat mat or coat with some cooking spray.
  • Using the back of a fork, mash bananas in a medium bowl until they are broken down. Add in oats and gently stir until all of the oats and bananas are mixed together and look like a thick cookie batter.
  • Now your ready to add the chocolate chips! Sprinkle them into the dough and stir until they are just mixed throughout.
  • Scoop one heaping tablespoon of the dough into your hands and free form into a cookie*. Place on cookie sheet and continue until you have 12 cookies.
  • Cook for 12-15 minutes or until set through and lightly golden. Cool and enjoy!
Can we get it in proper English too please?:whistle:

Adam4868

Guru
My partner swears by putting tinfoil over the stalk of bananas and says it makes them last longer.
I couldn't tell you if it works but there you go.

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
Made some this afternoon, but varied the recipe:

220 grams quick oats
110 grams rolled oats
3 bananas (going brown)
150 grams mixed fruit - raisins, currants, sultanas, candied peel

I used an extra banananana because some of the oats were still loose and dry in the bottom of the bowl. The third one incorporated them nicely.
I didn't think that chocolate sounded healthy (delicious - yes, healthy - no) so I substituted the mixed fruit as I happened to have some handy.
150 grams was too much, I couldn't get it all to mix in. Next time I'll try 120 grams

After cooking, the outside was firm, not sticky at all. Easy to bite into, but then needed a fair amount of chewing before swallowing.

Very tasty, and I'll definitely be making some more.

Top Bottom