3-Ingredient Banana Oatmeal ... cookies?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
IaninSheffield

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Made some this afternoon, but varied the recipe:

220 grams quick oats
110 grams rolled oats
3 bananas (going brown)
150 grams mixed fruit - raisins, currants, sultanas, candied peel

I used an extra banananana because some of the oats were still loose and dry in the bottom of the bowl. The third one incorporated them nicely.
I didn't think that chocolate sounded healthy (delicious - yes, healthy - no) so I substituted the mixed fruit as I happened to have some handy.
150 grams was too much, I couldn't get it all to mix in. Next time I'll try 120 grams

After cooking, the outside was firm, not sticky at all. Easy to bite into, but then needed a fair amount of chewing before swallowing.

Very tasty, and I'll definitely be making some more.
Thanks AP, that should help @vickster out. I'm afraid I worked by eye so couldn't comment on the original recipe.
I agree with your observations on chewiness. A rather different texture from other coookiebunbiscuits which have a similar appearance, but to me, a pleasant one.

vickster

Legendary Member
Oven temperature? ;) My UK fan oven doesn’t go to 350 other than pyrolytic mode which would cremate anything inside!

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I did the same with mixed fruit

May add a bit of cinnamon next time, to make them a bit Xmassey

Possibly experiment with some crunchy peanut butter too

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Pardon my ignorance but while I know what rolled oats are I have no idea what quick oats are.
I am not too good on precise measurements as taught largely by my wife who regarded recipes as for wimps. Made something today but the bananas were a bit firm so added a couple or three spoons of yoghurt to moisten the mix a bit plus mixed fruit instead of chocolate which I cannot eat. Worked a treat and mostly all gone now.

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
Pardon my ignorance but while I know what rolled oats are I have no idea what quick oats are.
I am not too good on precise measurements as taught largely by my wife who regarded recipes as for wimps. Made something today but the bananas were a bit firm so added a couple or three spoons of yoghurt to moisten the mix a bit plus mixed fruit instead of chocolate which I cannot eat. Worked a treat and mostly all gone now.
Quick oats are usually smaller and thinner than rolled oats, so they cook more quickly - fairly similar to Instant Oats like Quaker Oat So Simple.
I think that generally you could use rolled, quick or instant. The choice will only affect the texture. I wouldn't try using oatmeal, though - it's much too finely ground.

Good idea with the yoghurt :okay:

OP
OP
IaninSheffield

IaninSheffield

Veteran
I think the terms rolled and quick oats, taken in an American context, refer to what we in the UK might call jumbo and porridge oats respectively (not quick oats such as those found in Ready Brek). At least that's the impression I got from the video, but am happy to be corrected.
Wouldn't have thought of yoghurt, but what a great idea if the mixture needs loosening. I tend to find ripe bananas need no encouragement to go mushy though😉

wonderloaf

Veteran
I think the terms rolled and quick oats, taken in an American context, refer to what we in the UK might call jumbo and porridge oats respectively (not quick oats such as those found in Ready Brek). At least that's the impression I got from the video, but am happy to be corrected.
Wouldn't have thought of yoghurt, but what a great idea if the mixture needs loosening. I tend to find ripe bananas need no encouragement to go mushy though😉
I'm just onto my third batch of these and for the 'quick' oats I just ground down some of the rolled oats in the food processor which seems to work OK.
I pretty much stuck to the original recipe for the first batch, but since have added honey and a small amount of demerera sugar to sweeten things up a bit (I've a bit of a sweet tooth) which seems to work well .... all good instant carbs as well as I understand. Also have found that the riper the bananas the better and not to mush them down too much. I'm also putting cranberries into the latest batch 'cos I ran out of choc chips and had them in the cupboard!
The problem now is that they are so yummy they're getting eaten before I get a chance to take them on a bike ride!

OldShep

Über Member
I'm just onto my third batch of these and for the 'quick' oats I just ground down some of the rolled oats in the food processor which seems to work OK.
I pretty much stuck to the original recipe for the first batch, but since have added honey and a small amount of demerera sugar to sweeten things up a bit (I've a bit of a sweet tooth) which seems to work well .... all good instant carbs as well as I understand. Also have found that the riper the bananas the better and not to mush them down too much. I'm also putting cranberries into the latest batch 'cos I ran out of choc chips and had them in the cupboard!
The problem now is that they are so yummy they're getting eaten before I get a chance to take them on a bike ride!
Have you found the ideal thickness to make these?
My attempt, I think, I made them too thick and were a stodgy lump.

wonderloaf

Veteran
Well, using my vernier calipers the average thickness on my batch of 12 was about 15mm. My cookies do have a slightly 'soggy bottom' but I quite like them like this, but may try turning them over half way through baking next time to see if this improves things.

Top Bottom