Heart Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Lucky your family has such good genes, Heart Attack. I am not trying to tell you anything - you obviously have it all sorted.

Jonathan M

@ Heartattack, when you say that you've yet to see proof that smoking contributed to your heart attack, I assume you mean you as an individual and not the well proven role that smoking has to do with heart disease? http://www.bhf.org.uk/keeping_your_heart_healthy/preventing_heart_disease/smoking.aspx

Yes, it is your health, and you are entitled to choose what to do about smoking or not, but have you ever considered that improvements can happen relatively quickly if you do stop smoking, and that your cycling may improve?
http://old.ash.org.uk/html/factsheets/html/fact11.html

Jonathan M said:
@ Heartattack, when you say that you've yet to see proof that smoking contributed to your heart attack, I assume you mean you as an individual and not the well proven role that smoking has to do with heart disease? http://www.bhf.org.uk/keeping_your_heart_healthy/preventing_heart_disease/smoking.aspx

Yes, it is your health, and you are entitled to choose what to do about smoking or not, but have you ever considered that improvements can happen relatively quickly if you do stop smoking, and that your cycling may improve?
http://old.ash.org.uk/html/factsheets/html/fact11.html

Yes I am talking about MY health, and yes I've seen and heard it all before, but as I said the more I'm told to do something I don't want to do the more I won't do it, I'll quit as and when I want to, as for improvements, yep they will come but I don't think I'm doing too bad at the moment either :?: The only issue I have is trying to get that last smoke in while warming up for a TT, its hell trying to get a puff while on the drops or aero bars, the ash just blows right back into my face ;)

Jonathan M

HeartAttack, quite an intresting stance you take, and I'll agree with Youngoldbloke that you must have some decent genes. Can we take it you'll leave your body to medical science so that the elixir of lengevity can be discovered?

But from MY health perspective, I'd gladly change anything in my lifestyle that would improve my longterm outcomes, but sadly the origins of brain tumours are not known, so other than a "healthy lifestyle" there is not much in my control.

Interesting that you have something within your control but choose not to make any changes. I'd love to have such choices available to me, and my wife would love me to, and I'm sure my 9year old son would like me to have such choices, as would the many smokers who accept that their smoking has contributed to their long term cardiac condition.

OP
OP
Bill Gates

Bill Gates

youngoldbloke

There are some parallels with your experiences and my own situation

youngoldbloke said:
I am 61 going on 62.

I'm 60

youngoldbloke said:
I think I must have taken every cholestrol lowering medicaton known, statins lowered my cholesterol, but I developed chronic muscle pain, (which continues to some extent). I stopped statins some years ago and now take Ezetimibe, but have some doubt as to its effectiveness.

I too had side effects including severe exhaustion, palpitations, insominia, terrible pain in both thighs and other personal stuff. Ezetimbe is part of the same group that lowers cholesterol artificially and it's worth googling for side effects.

youngoldbloke said:
after racing in my youth, but became something of a born again roadie following the recent procedures.

I raced until I was 33 and then stopped totally. After my first heart attack I refused to let it beat me and gave myself the challenge of getting under the hour in a 25 mile TT within 12 months at the age of 55. Almost did it too 1.00.06 in a race on the F1 early April 2005. Very cold and windy so quite pleased with that. Symptoms from statins not that bad at that stage. Within 2 days had a crash while descending when the tyre on my front wheel blew out. By the time I had recovered it was August and did another 25 mile TT whilst experiencing side effects from statins(unknowingly) and crawed around to do a 1.12 or something totally exhausted. Went round to old clubmates house and could barely climb the stairs!

Then googled side effects of statins and found that they were poisoning my system. Not really been back to the previous level since then with various other crashes and set backs (not least another heart attack in June 2007). Don't know if statins have had a long term effect or not but it took me 12 months to get over the first lot of Atorsvastatin to ride reasonably and then this year another 6 months after the second lot of Omacor.

youngoldbloke said:
Resting heart rate about 47, max around 180. My weight is down from around 12.5 stone to just 10. I will never be as fast as I remember being (!)

My RHR is 43 and MHR 176. Weight is 13.5 stone and used to be when racing before 12.5 stone. 6 ft tall. I'll never get back my old speed. I used to be able to race TT's @ nearly 30 mph on what is now considered a road bike.

The challenge remains. Under the hour for a 25 mile TT (has to be next year now)

OP
OP
Bill Gates

Bill Gates

HeartAttack said:
Training etc, yes I do some intervals, normally this year they have been 60sec max effort 60 secs recovery x 10 once a week, I also take 99% of the time Monday's and Friday's as a non bike/rest day. I always remember being told that you don't get stronger/faster through training but through recovery so yes having time off will allow your body to recover.

Interesting choice of intervals. For me 60 seconds is too much for max effort (VO2max) and not long enough 90/95% MHR for LT training.

I do both long 2 x 20 minutes/5 minute rest ;and 4 x 7 minutes/3 minute rests; and 5 x 30 second sprints max effort as many sets as can manage. After doing these I'm stuffed for 2 days.

When I was racing in my youth I could a 40 mile ride in the morning, do a set of intervals in the evening and ride to work the next day, which was a round trip of 26 miles no problem. It's not being able to do the training which is so frustrating.

nigelnorris

Bill Gates said:
I don't need convincing. Whatever gave you that idea?

I'm asking for training tips re recovery FFS. The stuff about cholesterol and to take it easy in your condition is in answer to those who brought it up in the first place.

I didn't bring it up and I'm not looking for advice about my lifestyle thank you. I know repeat KNOW what statins did to me as I had the most horrendous siude effects that I'm convinced would have killed me if I carried on. Now I'm feeling just great. Those of you on statins, be honest, how do you feel?

In my GP's surgery I overheard two guys talking about how many pills they were taking, willy waving if you like. Believe me they looked like sh*t.

No I don't need convincing!

Is here anyone out there who can give me an answer re training and recovery at 60, without lecturing me on some ridiculous notion that I'm on a crusade to get people off statins? Thank you
You're very aggressive, aren't you. Wonder if stress in any way contributed to your heart attack. :smile:

OP
OP
Bill Gates

Bill Gates

nigelnorris said:
You're very aggressive, aren't you. Wonder if stress in any way contributed to your heart attack. ;)

I've already said it was.Please read the thread before you post what is forgive me for saying "the bleedin' obvious".

If I say that stress caused my heart attacks, then yes it is safe to assume that stress contributed to my heart attack. You mate are a bloody idiot as well as being bloody rude.

Crankarm

Guru
HeartAttack said:
You could also talk to my grandad, he was 100 last Dec had a quad bypass at 93yo and still smokes 60 a day as he has since he was 14 and you know what he's still here :angry:

Think how many more years he will have lived when he dies had he not smoked.

nigelnorris

Bill Gates said:
I've already said it was.Please read the thread before you post what is forgive me for saying "the bleedin' obvious".

If I say that stress caused my heart attacks, then yes it is safe to assume that stress contributed to my heart attack. You mate are a bloody idiot as well as being bloody rude.
Idiot is quite a strong word coming from someone who gets his medical advice from the internet.

Davidc

Guru
Fab Foodie said:
;)
Bill Gates, I think learning to chill might be a good idea.

+1

Stress can be a significant risk factor for both first heart attacks and repeat attacks. Each heart attack leaves some more heart muscle dead, and it never gets repaired or replaced. Each one is one closer to your last .......

woohoo

Veteran
Just some bits and pieces

"Ask any GP this, if cholesterol is so bad why does your body make it?"

That is just complete bollox

GPs will say that too much cholesterol is bad but not cholesterol generation, per se. The "recommended" range is normally between about 3.5 to 5.2 and a low reading, just as much as a high reading, can be a cause for concern / further investigation..

(The body can also generate excess cancerous white blood cells in the case of lymphatic leukaemia, so because your body makes it should the cancer be seen as a good thing and not be treated?)

Like Fab Foodie, I'm also a "graduate" of the JR Hospital Oxford but I've been processed twice, once for a bypass and 10 years later for a couple of stents. On both occasions, I was encouraged by the consultants to take light exercise during the recovery period (3 to 4 weeks for the bypass and 1 week for the angioplasty) and then to quickly build back up to my previous exercise levels.

Before both the bypass and the angioplasty I had started to get mild angina when giving it some stick (relatively!) in the gym and on my bike but I've never had a heart attack. In both cases, I could avoid the angina by backing off by about 5% and after being referred by my GP, on both occasions, an angiogram showed that the heart was getting a reduced blood supply.

I would now use that 5% "target" (if it were consistent) as a future trigger to ask if another angiogram to check out the arteries is required. I reckon if I were to ignore this then a heart attack would be probable.

As for statins, I've been on Simvastatin (not very effective for me) and then Atorvastatin for 15 years and have noticed no side effects. (The Clopidogrel that they put you on after angioplasty is another matter; I got a bruise if even a fly landed on me).

I do cross check the advice that I get from the medics and I'm happy that for me the upsides of taking statins outweigh the potential downsides (but I get my liver function tested every 6 months to make sure!), As for aspirin, the data that I remember seeing stated that 75mg per day was enough to be effective and that there was no gain to be had from going above that, especially as the risks, more or less increased proportionately with any increase above the 75mg level.

OP
OP
Bill Gates

Bill Gates

nigelnorris said:
Idiot is quite a strong word coming from someone who gets his medical advice from the internet.

When I saw the Operations Manager who runs the GP practice who proscribed the statins to me, she told me that I should have told them that I was having side effects and then they would have stopped the prescription. I pointed out that on the "internet" I saw that the NHS for Canada had published a list of categories for whom statins was not to be proscribed. That list included athletes. She did not know that such a list existed.

http://www.drug-injury.com/druginjurycom/2005/07/health_canada_a.html

In my consultations with my GP I had brought up the subject of training and the taking of medication and was told categorically that there was no problem. On that basis would you still stand by your post?

I would like to take the opportunity of maybe changing the word that you accused me of, namely aggression, and call it exasperation. The "internet" seems to me to be the only place where you can find out anecdotally about real issues and get to the truth about them. If you ignore the "internet" as a source of information then I don't think idiot is too strong a word for you at all. In fact it is the most polite word I can think of.

edited to provide link to said canada health bulletin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom