heart rate for newbies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
But we old and crusties are all missing the point, it is yet another must have gadget which in all honesty will do absolutely NOTHING for the performance and satisfaction of cycling, apart from of course it will drain some more of the excess cash out of someones pocket who is finding difficulty in spending it all.
Just because it won’t fit on your penny farthing, doesn’t mean others can’t enjoy. :smile:

si_c

Guru
But we old and crusties are all missing the point, it is yet another must have gadget which in all honesty will do absolutely NOTHING for the performance and satisfaction of cycling, apart from of course it will drain some more of the excess cash out of someones pocket who is finding difficulty in spending it all.

I'd disagree to a certain extent, I've found that additional data helps me to pace myself better. I'm quite happy to go out without, but particularly on longer rides, with more hills or inclement weather, I do enjoy the ride more if I can pace myself so I don't explode halfway around.

I'd disagree to a certain extent, I've found that additional data helps me to pace myself better. I'm quite happy to go out without, but particularly on longer rides, with more hills or inclement weather, I do enjoy the ride more if I can pace myself so I don't explode halfway around.
I can understand in this day and age, one is easily convinced by the marketing guys that something is a must have. but as another old crusty, I find them so un necessary, as i tend to only travel at the speed of a striking slug. Unless I have gotten it wrong power pedals use power not give it, they are purly a recording mechanism. but I guess some one more tech savvywith tell me otherwise.

si_c

Guru
I can understand in this day and age, one is easily convinced by the marketing guys that something is a must have. but as another old crusty, I find them so un necessary, as i tend to only travel at the speed of a striking slug. Unless I have gotten it wrong power pedals use power not give it, they are purly a recording mechanism. but I guess some one more tech savvywith tell me otherwise.

You have it right, they provide the amount of power you are currently producing to the bike computer of your choice, they don't help you up the hills!

I'm a statistician, and work with numbers all day, but for some reason I also like to come home and look at numbers!

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
Yes, that is what I gathered from a quick online search. So seeing how much force you use on each stroke makes going up hills easier? That is apparently the reason for the purchase here.

si_c

Guru
Yes, that is what I gathered from a quick online search. So seeing how much force you use on each stroke makes going up hills easier? That is apparently the reason for the purchase here.

It's more about understanding how much effort you can sustain for a given period, and how that will impact you later in the day. If I'm doing a commute, I pay no attention to it, I just hammer along as fast as I can given the conditions. However if I was planning to do a 50/60mile ride I'd have to moderate that intensity otherwise I'd have to sit down after an hour and have a sleep!

Tracking the numbers (in my case I use heart rate) allows me to know whether I should ease off a bit more if going uphill or whether I can put a bit more effort in if I want.

OP
OP
eagles633

eagles633

I fell off the wagon one night. Made a complete fool of myself on here talking jibba jabba. Being a complete fool i got 1 litre vodka drunk before i signed on again. I doubled down making myself look worse. Now iv'e had to have another bottle of vodka to explain my 1st bottle of vodka.

Alan O

Über Member
I fell off the wagon one night. Made a complete fool of myself on here talking jibba jabba. Being a complete fool i got 1 litre vodka drunk before i signed on again. I doubled down making myself look worse. Now iv'e had to have another bottle of vodka to explain my 1st bottle of vodka.
Switch off your computer now, my friend, and come back when you're sober as the nice friendly guy you started out as - that's my suggestion. We all have demons, and I wish you well with yours.

OP
OP
eagles633

eagles633

Switch off your computer now, my friend, and come back when you're sober as the nice friendly guy you started out as - that's my suggestion. We all have demons, and I wish you well with yours.
obviously i am mentally ill. the way i have acted on here has made me admit that to myself.

OP
OP
eagles633

eagles633

i see my response has been stopped. it's awaiting the big brother approval. i'm ashmamed a british website has to refrain . orwell must be spinning

Top Bottom