heart rate for newbies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What cobblers. Although I use Strava and have a garmin, the only thing you actually need for cycling is a bike and the ability to turn the pedals in some way ;) try riding without and see if you enjoy the actual bike riding more :smile:

I totally agree, what is it with people these days?

Life would actually continue if all the techi numpties were to ditch all of their electronic gadgets!

Believe it or not, there is no need to have a mobile phone plugged into your ear at all times and likewise when going out on your bike, yes have some gadget that measures the distance, but I have a watch to tell me the time.

si_c

Guru
Presumably she takes it with a pinch of salt as device tracking of calories is a guesstimate as best :smile: use two devices and see the discrepancies, garmin calculations are clearly utter nonsense
She does indeed take it with a pinch of salt, it's useful as a guide, but you have to use some common sense. But she's found strava to be reasonably similar in numbers to her fitbit, so she's quite happy for the most part.

OP
OP
eagles633

eagles633

Not sure if it was the cold yesterday. My Garmin froze and I lost a days data. So I've had to spend another£150 on a polar device. Now have 2 running I doubt I'll ever lose my ride again:smile:
IMG_20180321_101328704.jpg

OP
OP
eagles633

eagles633

Once you get some timber off treats are permissable mate. I had a massive kebab last week, a couple of hours on the turbo & all is forgiven...
Ha ha after watching the Cal's all week I went to Aldi and chucked something in the basket I hadn't seen in years. Ate 2 and they were tremendous
IMG_20180321_103443227.jpg

OP
OP
eagles633

eagles633

What cobblers. Although I use Strava and have a garmin, the only thing you actually need for cycling is a bike and the ability to turn the pedals in some way ;) try riding without and see if you enjoy the actual bike riding more :smile:

How's the weight loss going?

Pro cycling is not the same thing as recreational, leisure or utility cycling which I would expect accounts for 90% or more of people who ride a bike. Are you an aspiring pro cyclist?
The weight loss is going fine vickster. Pretty much what people are saying on the thread. I can be 5 pound either way during a single day. I'd say iv'e lost 3 to 5 pounds since i started though. My swollen pot belly was solid to begin with. I can actually grab the jelly now ^_^

bpsmith

Veteran
I totally agree, what is it with people these days?

Life would actually continue if all the techi numpties were to ditch all of their electronic gadgets!

Believe it or not, there is no need to have a mobile phone plugged into your ear at all times and likewise when going out on your bike, yes have some gadget that measures the distance, but I have a watch to tell me the time.
Proper ironic, posting that on an online cycling forum. PMSL.

#AntiTechNumpty

I have to smile about all this techo, I am lucky that I am of an age were when taking up cycling, one bought a cycle, got on it and rode when one got knckered you stopped at a cafe or pub and bought loads of stoggy food and a couple of pints of fine ale or tea, when rested enough we wended our merry way. around the rest of our route. somehow we stayed slim and fit, no tech then a mile meter was a little gadget which clipped to the front stay where a pin on the spoke flicked a cog on the mile meter. recording the route was mainly committed to memory or a few scribbled marks on a paper map. Of course we had a good start wieght wise, as we still had food rationing, and because of the physical training that was done in schools and the fact that we had the freedom as kids and teens that is not prevailent these days we were fairly fit youths. Unless you are a pro rider, I say just get on your cycle and ride, cycling is about enjoying your cycling, looking at the countryside and the history surrounding. you..

OP
OP
eagles633

eagles633

I'm finding the hills too hard so I've bought some power pedals to help me. The extra power will help me over the hard bits. Got a good discount also.
Screenshot_20180322-115923.png

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
I'm finding the hills too hard so I've bought some power pedals to help me. The extra power will help me over the hard bits. Got a good discount also. View attachment 401069
Could've saved you a bundle friend: hills get easier as you get stronger/more practiced. I have never heard of power pedals, why don't you just stand up? This is akin to saying 'I am finding going up stairs harder than regular walking' and buying something for that.

Last edited:
Could've saved you a bundle friend: hills get easier as you get stronger/more practiced. I have never heard of power pedals, why don't you just stand up? This is akin to saying 'I am finding going up stairs harder than regular walking' and buying something for that.

But we old and crusties are all missing the point, it is yet another must have gadget which in all honesty will do absolutely NOTHING for the performance and satisfaction of cycling, apart from of course it will drain some more of the excess cash out of someones pocket who is finding difficulty in spending it all.

Top Bottom