Heart rate monitor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Without even looking at your heart rate figures, I can tell you that you need to ride more miles! I have ridden about 4.5 times what you have this year (over very hilly terrain) and I wouldn't say that I am ready for a 'big climb' yet ... :whistle:

As a matter of interest, where is the big climb? If it is in the UK then it can't be that big! The hardest would be something like Great Dun Fell or Bealach na Ba. If it is something like Mount Teide on Tenerife, then yes, that would take a lot of training to prepare for (unless you used very low gears and took all day to climb it).

I agree I need to do more miles. I do ride with quite a bit of intensity over short distances, which is all I generally have time for (between about 15 & 35 miles usually).

S-Express

He did in the first post.

Riding up a big hill is hardly an objective, in the sense that pretty much anyone who can cycle is already capable of riding up a big hill, given the right gearing and enough time. I mean objectives in terms of a target time, or some other kind of performance issue, for which an HRM may be a useful training aid.

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
We're planning a holiday in Provence next year; I put two and two together and decided I'm going to climb Mt Ventoux.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Riding up a big hill is hardly an objective, in the sense that pretty much anyone who can cycle is already capable of riding up a big hill, given the right gearing and enough time. I mean objectives in terms of a target time, or some other kind of performance issue, for which an HRM may be a useful training aid.
We can only go by what he said.
His objective is to do a big climb. It isn't complicated.

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Just to clarify, I have no particular target other than finishing it.

Would be nice to do it in one hit, but I think I would have to be a lot fitter for that! Reading some of the other Ventoux threads it's difficult to train for that kind of hill endurance in this country (especially the bit where I now live).

Just to clarify, I have no particular target other than finishing it.

Would be nice to do it in one hit, but I think I would have to be a lot fitter for that! Reading some of the other Ventoux threads it's difficult to train for that kind of hill endurance in this country (especially the bit where I now live).
You'll be fine just train to ride longer/faster and on the flat and you'll develop the power that lets you ride longer and albeit slower on the climb :okay:

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The biggest climb that I have done is the Tudons from the coast near Benidorm. That is from sea level to an altitude of just over 1,000 metres and is not as steep as the Ventoux. My legs, heart and lungs were fine because I was riding up at a sensible, steady pace. What got me was backache. From about halfway up the climb my back muscles were starting to give me a lot of discomfort The last few kms were really unpleasant. I was surprised by that because I do an awful lot of climbing round here (and much of that is steep), but there is nothing that requires unrelenting effort for such a long time.

I'm not sure if back/core exercises would help with that? I find that my back is always the weakest link. As it is now, I know that I could not cope with something as hard as Ventoux without several stops to stretch my back.

Top Bottom