Heart Rate Monitors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/X-Train_V3_20_Function_Heart_Rate_Monitor/5360024608/

Is the cheapest of the cheap but got good review in C+, user reviews on wiggle arent as good though.

Depends what data you require from it at the end of the day! What is your budget, what data do you need?

I bought a Polar entry level affair (£50-ish, cant remmeber model name, F4 of something?), it was cheap and nasty in construction, even worse wouldnt power on. Had to return it, Polar are highly regarded to my knowledge, but the not powering on aside, the construction was crud. My cycle computer that cost £4 is of higher quality!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
You will struggle to find better than that I linked for around £30. It carries a lot of functionality for its price.

Most important post workout measurements you might consider are, Total Time, Max heart rate and Time in Zone(The most important measurement). Time in zone is important, average can be useless.

It may be worth increasing your budget to make sure you get programmable max and min HR (i.e properly bounded zones rather than determine from age equations), zone alarm (buzzes when you go above or below target zone). Else you might find it close to useless after a short period and then have to spend another 50-60 to replace with one that has more features.

Armegatron

Rob3rt said:
You will struggle to find better than that I linked for around £30. It carries a lot of functionality for its price.

Most important post workout measurements you might consider are, Total Time, Max heart rate and Time in Zone(The most important measurement). Time in zone is important, average can be useless.

It may be worth increasing your budget to make sure you get programmable max and min HR (i.e properly bounded zones rather than determine from age equations), zone alarm (buzzes when you go above or below target zone). Else you might find it close to useless after a short period and then have to spend another 50-60 to replace with one that has more features.
+1
I spent £30 on a Polar from Argos. Does the job but only just. If Id have known the one in Roberts link Id have went with that for definite.

Rob3rt said:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/X-Train_V3_20_Function_Heart_Rate_Monitor/5360024608/

Is the cheapest of the cheap but got good review in C+, user reviews on wiggle arent as good though.

Depends what data you require from it at the end of the day! What is your budget, what data do you need?

I bought a Polar entry level affair (£50-ish, cant remmeber model name, F4 of something?), it was cheap and nasty in construction, even worse wouldnt power on. Had to return it, Polar are highly regarded to my knowledge, but the not powering on aside, the construction was crud. My cycle computer that cost £4 is of higher quality!

I have had Polar HR monitors for the best part of 20years - the first was a cheap entry level model that was soon replaced by a more sophisticated model as I was affluent enough to buy a PC, The more sophisticated model lasted for over 10 years and still works but was replaced by another sophisticated model when I upgraded my computer and never managed to get the serial interface to work properly on the USB equipped computer (money wasted buying serial adaptors and PC cards)

In the interim I purchased a couple of cheap less basic models by less well known manufacteres to use while the good one was in Finland or wherever being serviced - both failed very quickly - one due to inferior waterproofing (no idea why as I wear cheap watches and the rules should be the same) the other one was stupidly susceptible to any outside interference - power lines -gym machines, old ladies walking on the pavement and was not worth the bother

The 20year old entry level polar has lost its strap the bar mounts wore out but it is still working and gets used - a little bit of velcro on the back.

My latest polar incarnation has a fabric "wearlink" chest strap which is by orders of magnitude more comfortable than the plastic chest straps

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
psmiffy said:
I have had Polar HR monitors for the best part of 20years - the first was a cheap entry level model that was soon replaced by a more sophisticated model as I was affluent enough to buy a PC, The more sophisticated model lasted for over 10 years and still works but was replaced by another sophisticated model when I upgraded my computer and never managed to get the serial interface to work properly on the USB equipped computer (money wasted buying serial adaptors and PC cards)

In the interim I purchased a couple of cheap less basic models by less well known manufacteres to use while the good one was in Finland or wherever being serviced - both failed very quickly - one due to inferior waterproofing (no idea why as I wear cheap watches and the rules should be the same) the other one was stupidly susceptible to any outside interference - power lines -gym machines, old ladies walking on the pavement and was not worth the bother

The 20year old entry level polar has lost its strap the bar mounts wore out but it is still working and gets used - a little bit of velcro on the back.

My latest polar incarnation has a fabric "wearlink" chest strap which is by orders of magnitude more comfortable than the plastic chest straps

Im not saying they all suck, but the model I bought was very cheap and nasty, the plastic flimsy clasp was the worst part.

Shady

Sometimes though the old addage of 'Buy cheap, buy twice' comes to mind.

I am a big fan of the Polar FT60 that I bought for about £130 and I know it will last a long time and has been worth the money easily since I bought it in Feb.

The online tracking/upload is great as well !!

Shady

Top Bottom