Heart rate range

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Everyone is different. Mine is generally around 50 asleep, but will top 185 if pushing it.

185 when sleeping must be a nightmare

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
My daytime (awake) resting HR is in the 40s. Being outside what’s considered population norm is nothing to worry about unless there’s a sudden change and / or you have some other condition related to it.

Last edited:

presta

Guru
I could easily ping my heart rate up towards theoretical max (I never wanted to find out the true max!) And at my peak fitness, it would drop just as quickly.
If it's not still dropping quickly it's worth mentioning to your doctor, it can be indicative of problems.
Heart rate - Wikipedia
I caused a panic in the hospital while having a camera up my bum, it dropped to the low 30's.
The hospital set the alarm on the bedside monitors to 45, which was about my RHR. It's a PITA, every time my HR goes from 45 to 44 the alarm goes off, so you cancel it, then a few seconds later it goes from 44 - 45 - 44, and off goes the alarm again, and again, and again....
Elite athletes will often have a rate in the 40s.
So do those who overtrain. My fitness didn't even compete with most on here, let alone elite athletes, but my RHR was 42 - 45 from chronic overtraining. Even after 10 years of de-training it's still about 50-55, and immediately drops back down again at even the slightest sniff of exercise.

Sharky

Guru
I caused a panic in the hospital while having a camera up my bum, it dropped to the low 30's.
I experienced similar. Sitting in an ambulance, following a spill on a cold Feb Sunday, the medics were a bit alarmed with my heart rate at 38 bpm. Until I told them my resting rate was mid 40's.

byegad

Legendary Member
Back when I was 15 and time was measured by sand dropping from one half of an egg timer to the other, I could sit down and in 10 minutes my rate was sub 40. Now I'm 70 I still have a resting rate much less than 50, despite being far too heavy and chronically unfit.

OP
OP
Y

yello

Hmmm, where are all these 'normal' people then? The ones that have a resting BPM of 80 something?

figbat

Slippery scientist
Intrigued by this I have just consulted my Apple Watch. I have always been of the opinion that 60-something was a decent result. Apparently today my RHR has been 49 - that's sat at a desk in an office, doing various calls and operating a PC. I have to say that is a bit of a surprise to me. I am as fit now as I think I have ever been, but still consider myself to be moderately fit - I'm no athlete, the only exercise I do is cycling and that is not training, just going out and putting some miles in, 2-3 times a week, 1.5-2 hours a time. Apparently whilst sleeping last night my HR went down to 37 and maxed at 50 :ohmy:.

My blood pressure has always been historically high too - high enough to raise eyebrows at medical examinations (last one was 154/85) but not high enough to warrant medical intervention. However now it is more acceptable (last time out was 130/73 using my home monitor, that was bought as a consequence of the mild concern about my HR). High blood pressure runs through both sides of my family though and it has been like that for me for as long as I can remember, going back to late childhood. The same with cholesterol - I run rich and always have; diet makes little impact on it. There are inherited and environmental reasons which combine to make you you.

OP
OP
Y

yello

My blood pressure has always been historically high too - high enough to raise eyebrows at medical examinations (last one was 154/85) but not high enough to warrant medical intervention.

Now that is interesting to me, and could well explain something.

When I arrived in France, my first docs appt had me being prescribed BP meds (with a similar number to your own) but it was never mentioned to me in the UK as a problem, not once. Tell a lie; a gym trying to sell memberships at my workplace, they said it was high... so I put that comment firmly in context, given my GP had not said anything, to my recollection anyway, certainly not to the point of getting the prescription pad out.

Maybe we have, on top of 'athlete' and 'non athlete' norms, national recommendations as to what is/isn't 'normal'?

Can someone just tell me please whether I'm ill or not! :laugh:

OP
OP
Y

yello

The same with cholesterol - I run rich and always have; diet makes little impact on it. There are inherited and environmental reasons which combine to make you you.
That's something I hear/read a lot too. And I'd say it's also my experience. I've chopped and changed (and sauted and steamed) my diet countless times over the years (now, largely being plant based... outside of my wife's enjoyment for baking that is!) but my cholesterol has maintained the same borderline fluctuations for donkey's ages.

Top Bottom