Heart rate training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Thanks! I'll use that as a guide for now and I'll do a max test too soon

Let us know when, the sight of somebody throwing up is never nice,I was tested by Peter Read and maxed out at 189 he suggested I was 3 beats higher, I proved him right 3 days later on a hill climb race

Ajax Bay

Guru
From this thread: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/heart.225112/ (30 months ago!)
The HRmax = 220 − age formula it is widely thought to have been devised in 1970 by Dr. William Haskell and Dr. Samuel Fox.[23] It was not developed from original research, but resulted from observation based on data from approximately 11 references consisting of published research or unpublished scientific compilations.[24] [into patients with heart issues]. It gained widespread use through being used by Polar Electro in its heart rate monitors,[23] which Dr. Haskell has "laughed about",[23] as the formula "was never supposed to be an absolute guide to rule people's training."[23] While it is the most common (and easy to remember and calculate), this particular formula is not considered by reputable health and fitness professionals to be a good predictor of HRmax. Despite the widespread publication of this formula, research spanning two decades reveals its large inherent error, Sxy = 7–11 bpm. Consequently, the estimation calculated by HRmax = 220 − age has neither the accuracy nor the scientific merit for use in exercise physiology and related fields.[24]
Best is (probably) Tanaka, Monahan, & Seals (2001): HRmax = 208 − (0.7 × age) [21]

To find one's resting HR, take it in bed on waking, before sitting up or anything, staying relaxed.
As @YukonBoy said an RHR of around 43-46 is not "very low". Indurain was reputed to have an RHR of 28bpm and I know at least one other who's recorded this, using a Polar HRM. But 43 is well below average.
One's HR range/reserve (HRmax - RHR) is useful for coaches who can specify "80%" say, and that means HRrange x 0.8 plus RHR. So say a rider/runner's max is 195 and their RHR is 35 then an interval session - say 8 x 2 minutes at 80% with one minute between, would ask the rider/runner to accelerate till HR hits 163(ish) and hold it there to the two minute point, and then ease off before the next interval starts.
Another runner/rider might have stats of min 50 max 160 so they'd need to target 138 for the same session.

Last edited:
How does the RHR come in to the calculation? Every where i read its a percentage of max?
My RHR is around 43-46 btw, i know very low. Naturally gifted with a healthy heart 😊
The zones are calculated in the amateur milieu as a percentage of max, whilst pros will calculate it as a percentage of HR reserve.

Let us know when, the sight of somebody throwing up is never nice,I was tested by Peter Read and maxed out at 189 he suggested I was 3 beats higher, I proved him right 3 days later on a hill climb race
That sounds like fun.

People just don't realise how awful a HR max test is. It isn't just riding up a hard hill until you THINK you can't do any more.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Best is (probably) Tanaka, Monahan, & Seals (2001): HRmax = 208 − (0.7 × age) [21]
Ive seen this one too but it works out .3 difference between that and 220-age.

I'll just have to find some hills and do a max test.
I think Mostly for now I'll be aiming for zone 2 as i want to get some more miles under my belt, hopefully my avg speed will naturally go up over time anyway

screenman

Legendary Member
Ive seen this one too but it works out .3 difference between that and 220-age.

I'll just have to find some hills and do a max test.
I think Mostly for now I'll be aiming for zone 2 as i want to get some more miles under my belt, hopefully my avg speed will naturally go up over time anyway

Have a read of the Mathetone method it worked well for me after a late off a few years back.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
I've read about that from when I was into my running, I couldn't remember what it was called though and I never really tried it.

I'll have to have another read up on it.

So at the moment I cycle twice a week my long ride is on the weekend and between an hour and a half 3 hours and then I do 60 minutes on zwift on a Wednesday.

I'm thinking the long ride I'll aim to stay in zone 2 and the midweek shorter ride lll up the intensity zones 3 and 4

Ajax Bay

Guru
Don't do a session involving Zone 4/5 on successive days (eg interval, race or hard tempo), for two reasons: the rest is needed to allow for 'training effect', and most people won't be able to do the second (24 hours later) session properly.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
From this thread: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/heart.225112/ (30 months ago!)
The HRmax = 220 − age formula it is widely thought to have been devised in 1970 by Dr. William Haskell and Dr. Samuel Fox.[23] It was not developed from original research, but resulted from observation based on data from approximately 11 references consisting of published research or unpublished scientific compilations.[24] [into patients with heart issues]. It gained widespread use through being used by Polar Electro in its heart rate monitors,[23] which Dr. Haskell has "laughed about",[23] as the formula "was never supposed to be an absolute guide to rule people's training."[23] While it is the most common (and easy to remember and calculate), this particular formula is not considered by reputable health and fitness professionals to be a good predictor of HRmax. Despite the widespread publication of this formula, research spanning two decades reveals its large inherent error, Sxy = 7–11 bpm. Consequently, the estimation calculated by HRmax = 220 − age has neither the accuracy nor the scientific merit for use in exercise physiology and related fields.[24]

To find one's resting HR, take it in bed on waking, before sitting up or anything, staying relaxed.
As @YukonBoy said an RHR of around 43-46 is not "very low". Indurain was reputed to have an RHR of 28bpm and I know at least one other who's recorded this, using a Polar HRM. But 43 is well below average.
One's HR range/reserve (HRmax - RHR) is useful for coaches who can specify "80%" say, and that means HRrange x 0.8 plus RHR. So say a rider/runner's max is 195 and their RHR is 35 then an interval session - say 8 x 2 minutes at 80% with one minute between, would ask the rider/runner to accelerate till HR hits 163(ish) and hold it there to the two minute point, and then ease off before the next interval starts.
Another runner/rider might have stats of min 50 max 160 so they'd need to target 138 for the same session.
I once visited my doc as I was feeling a bit under the weather. Thoughts were thyroid issues but got chucked into the nurse for an ECG.

5mins later the Dr was back looking worried that the ECG was broken, my HR having walked through the surgery into the treatment room - was 28

screenman

Legendary Member
I once visited my doc as I was feeling a bit under the weather. Thoughts were thyroid issues but got chucked into the nurse for an ECG.

5mins later the Dr was back looking worried that the ECG was broken, my HR having walked through the surgery into the treatment room - was 28

That is on par with Induran. Something wrong or super fit I guess.

Top Bottom