Heart rate training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Over trained always show as a slightly higher than normal for me, first sign of time to knock it back a bit.

This is what I've always thought but I've never really checked for long periods of time just go by how I feel

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I've read about that from when I was into my running, I couldn't remember what it was called though and I never really tried it.

I'll have to have another read up on it.

So at the moment I cycle twice a week my long ride is on the weekend and between an hour and a half 3 hours and then I do 60 minutes on zwift on a Wednesday.

I'm thinking the long ride I'll aim to stay in zone 2 and the midweek shorter ride lll up the intensity zones 3 and 4

You will want to do more than that if you want to improve fitness. If you just want to stabilise fitness then what you are doing will likely plonk you on a fitness plateau sooner or later.

I’m doing high intensity once a week on the turbo. The rest of the week is low intensity longer duration. The idea is to stabilise where my fitness is, till lockdown eases.

Another way to find your low intensity upper limit is to increase effort to the point where you are just about able to hold a conversation. Talk to yourself to find out. Stay at that effort level and see if HR stabilises and you can keep talking. Then during low intensity aim to be around that HR +/- 2 bpm.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
You will want to do more than that if you want to improve fitness. If you just want to stabilise fitness then what you are doing will likely plonk you on a fitness plateau sooner or later.

I’m doing high intensity once a week on the turbo. The rest of the week is low intensity longer duration. The idea is to stabilise where my fitness is, till lockdown eases.

Another way to find your low intensity upper limit is to increase effort to the point where you are just about able to hold a conversation. Talk to yourself to find out. Stay at that effort level and see if HR stabilises and you can keep talking. Then during low intensity aim to be around that HR +/- 2 bpm.
I also do kettlebell workouts, very heavy (for me!) 2 times a week, just dropped from 3.
They are only 15min long of double cleans presses and squats really heavy low reps plenty of rest between sets but gets the heart pumping
I struggle to fit any more in really

CXRAndy

Guru
I also do kettlebell workouts, very heavy (for me!) 2 times a week, just dropped from 3.
They are only 15min long of double cleans presses and squats really heavy low reps plenty of rest between sets but gets the heart pumping
I struggle to fit any more in really

That is the issue, everyday life. There is no point overdoing training if you're time crunched. Just ride as much as you can, varied intensities. When there is more opportunity to ride more often then do so. You can get a good level of fitness with a couple of high intensity workouts and a steady ride to keep endurance per week.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
^I pick and choose the course/route on zwift depending on what I want to add into the ride, basically a workout but not in workout/ERG mode.

Even the flattest profiles have some sort of lump that you can attack and recover on the other side.. 5 Volcano laps gives you quite a lot of work periods in a relatively short time for example.|

The theory is the same outdoors even if it's a short loop repeated, bang in the short intense stuff recover and repeat.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Well my ride today i tried to stay in zone 2 as much as possible, im assuming my max is around 181 untill i test it.
So zone 2 should be around 109 to 127 bpm

Harder than it seems! Any hill it was up to upper 130 to 140s!

I think i managed 50% in zone 2 so about 1hr!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Well my ride today i tried to stay in zone 2 as much as possible, im assuming my max is around 181 untill i test it.
So zone 2 should be around 109 to 127 bpm

Harder than it seems! Any hill it was up to upper 130 to 140s!

I think i managed 50% in zone 2 so about 1hr!

Also try staying in zone 2 downhill. it’ll be faster than you normally go. For uphill you just need to back off. Have HR on display and back off when you see it rising above 123.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Slightly off Topic but is there a way I can connect my heart rate strap to maybe the Garmin Connect app to upload my strength workouts to Strava too?
would be nice to have everything in one place

CXRAndy

Guru
Slightly off Topic but is there a way I can connect my heart rate strap to maybe the Garmin Connect app to upload my strength workouts to Strava too?
would be nice to have everything in one place

You link your Garmin connect account to Strava(see online instructions). Then every time you ride, both platforms have the ride saved.

Strava is the popular platform, because it always works

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Sorry i ment link Garmin connect to my heart rate strap
I ment strength workouts as in lifting weights, with hr strap on
Then when ive done my weights it would upload to strava with sets and reps so i can see what i done last workout
Hope that makes more sence!

vickster

Legendary Member
Then when ive done my weights it would upload to strava with sets and reps so i can see what i done last workout
Strava doesn’t include gym workouts in its sports list because it’s not a sport.
Why not build yourself an Excel to log data (or get something like an Apple Watch)

CXRAndy

Guru

my mate uses Garmin forerunner watch to record his gym HR sessions

Top Bottom