Heart rate whilst riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'm 65 with resting HR of 48. If I've completely smashed it I'd peak at 160/165 but this is giving it everything up the toughest climbs.

I rode a century with 116 avg HR last week and 16.4 avg mph in to a headwind all day.

A few weeks ago I rode 40 miles, climbed 3000 feet, 15.1mph avg with HR avg of 122. This included a PB by 30 seconds on Birdy Brow a 1.1 mile ascent averaging 9.7%.

Everyone who gets on a bike should be applauded but for me 120 is cruising at speed, easy riding and chatting. I wouldn't consider it in anyway difficult but we are all different.

I've always understood the important figure is how quickly HR drops in a minute. Mine goes down by 20-30 beats depending on how long I've maintained real effort.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

If he’s on an e-bike isn’t the motor doing a large proportion of the work going up hill so he’s hardly maxing out? :scratch:
All depends on which setting, if he has it switched on & where he's riding, I can come back from an ebike ride as knacked as a non ebike, just find I have either gone faster or longer.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
FWIW, knocking on the door of 40 my RHR is about 56bpm, max around 190-195bpm, mean over a purposefully super- slow recovery ride around 100bpm, a relaxed ride around 120-125bpm, an intense ride 150-160bpm with balls-out hill efforts maxing out at 185-195bpm.

As others have said 120bpm is the opposite end of the scale to a full effort and what, barely zone 2 for most people?

Sounds like the man in question doesn't know the meaning of "a big effort" and presumably you've been attacked on FB by his group of sycophants because they'd rather protect his ego from the truth of the matter. Can't stand FB groups personally; seem like a flypaper for idiots and trolls IME. Get him to join a proper cycling forum ;)

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Problem with Bradycardia is that it’s defined by the resting heart rates of sedentary populations. So if you’re not sedentary your resting HR can often be outside the range of what’s considered normal.

Drago

Legendary Member
I've a low HR, particularly for my age, can get as low as 36 when I'm asleep. Even maxing it out I barely crack 150, so anyone who thinks 120 is a high heart rate when under exertion is either Ill informed or in a coma.

Resting is 68 was 95 for a long time my max is now 198 was 214, I’m actively doing rides to keep my HR low whilst increasing distance and avg speed but all the hills around here make that hard to do, my objective now is to do a longish Z1 HR and power ride, currently HR2 power 1

I believe with time and practice you can train your body to achieve that goal

Brads

Resting is 68 was 95 for a long time my max is now 198 was 214, I’m actively doing rides to keep my HR low whilst increasing distance and avg speed but all the hills around here make that hard to do, my objective now is to do a longish Z1 HR and power ride, currently HR2 power 1

I believe with time and practice you can train your body to achieve that goal

How old are you ?

Top Bottom