Heart rate whilst riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I got into a bit of a "discussion" on another social media to do with cycling.
Member posts his mate has lost no end of weight e biking and was really giving it the beans up a hill maxxing out at 120 bpm , the picture the chap in question doesnt look a day over 40.
Now i applaud his efforts and wish him well but i raise the issue that they seem to think that 120 bpm is really hard training and get shot down for saying this .
Now i am open to discussion and correction , am i wrong ?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Everybody is different, but my average heart beat on a ride is over 150. Maxes out about 180 these days. I only need to swing my leg over the bke and it jumps to 100.

ianbarton

Veteran
I think heart rates depend on all sorts of things. I am 65 and my resting heart rate is about 60bpm. My absolute max rate is around 195 bpm. On hills I can maintain a rate of about 160bpm, but if I go much above this I run out of steam quite rapidly. Your heart rate zones are probably very different than mine. The best way to find out is to do some cycling with an HRM and find your maximum rate and the highest rate you can comfortably maintain for say 30 minutes.

screenman

Legendary Member
Member posts his mate has lost no end of weight e biking and was really giving it the beans up a hill maxxing out at 120 bpm , the picture the chap in question doesnt look a day over 40.
Now i applaud his efforts and wish him well but i raise the issue that they seem to think that 120 bpm is really hard training and get shot down for saying this .

I doubt cycling alone was much to do with his weight loss.

52 y/o here, sustainable tempo HR is 152 and max around 175. Interestingly, I've watched my wife's progress as she's cycled way more during lockdown - she used to think 120-130bpm was 'pushing it' and now can sustain 140-odd - proving the old saying correct. It's not got easier, she just goes faster!

I do wonder how much of the HR limit is mental - worrying about seemingly high HRs and not simply letting the inner chimp loose! Ought to test it sometime, with max efforts with and without a visible HRM. hmmmm

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

52 y/o here, sustainable tempo HR is 152 and max around 175. Interestingly, I've watched my wife's progress as she's cycled way more during lockdown - she used to think 120-130bpm was 'pushing it' and now can sustain 140-odd - proving the old saying correct. It's not got easier, she just goes faster!

I do wonder how much of the HR limit is mental - worrying about seemingly high HRs and not simply letting the inner chimp loose! Ought to test it sometime, with max efforts with and without a visible HRM. hmmmm
I hear you last year i was struggling on hills then i realized i was subconsciusly not pushing it like i used too.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

Unless they have an exceptionally low max HR then 120 bpm is not giving it the beans. 120 bpm is at a conversational effort for most cyclists, and sustainable all day and all night. It’s the average I target for even the longest of my audax rides.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
120 bpm to some people is alot and the ebike has enabled him to get out biking without getting knackered. It's OK for us lot that have been riding bikes since a kid, but bear in mind loads of beginners out there now, way more than there used to be. It's a good thing. I've got 30 year old's at work think I'm a nutter popping out for 16 or 20 miles before work or at lunch.. I'm 50 but I've never got off a bike since I was a kid.

OldShep

Über Member
I’m 68 and have always had a low heart rate. Taking a look at yesterday’s ride I maxed at 109 and an avg of 90 on a 20 ml ride with over 1000 ft of climbing. I can reach 120 on a hell of a steep hill.
on a 14 day LEJOG a couple of years ago my avg hr/ day was between 75 & 84.
my rhr is usually 42-44
A few yrs ago I had to attend hospital for a minor op. 11:30 in the morning after a coffee and a walk to the ward the nurse takes my BP HR was 52. Not believing it she took it again and then asked, ' are you an athlete'? To which I replied No just a cyclist. :laugh:

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

I’m 68 and have always had a low heart rate. Taking a look at yesterday’s ride I maxed at 109 and an avg of 90 on a 20 ml ride with over 1000 ft of climbing. I can reach 120 on a hell of a steep hill.
on a 14 day LEJOG a couple of years ago my avg hr/ day was between 75 & 84.
my rhr is usually 42-44
A few yrs ago I had to attend hospital for a minor op. 11:30 in the morning after a coffee and a walk to the ward the nurse takes my BP HR was 52. Not believing it she took it again and then asked, ' are you an athlete'? To which I replied No just a cyclist. :laugh:
last medical i had they said i was one bpm above a clinically low HR or Bradycardia, i do have an irregular ecg and they ask me if i feel dizzy .

si_c

Guru
For arguments sake I'm 40, my RHR is 44 and my max HR somewhere north of 180, I did a ride today, not even close to max effort really and my max HR was 175 average 156.

Top Bottom