Hearty rate while jogging

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ah thanks for your "almost" useful advise. I see "to failure" was not an acceptable turn of phrase so I'll be more careful next time.

'exercising to failure' is not how to establish your MHR - not sure why a sarcastic reply was called for.

Yes I'll either continue to search for answers or wait for a more pointed response.

You obviously want someone to search for you, so here you go.... http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/heart-rate-high.111962/

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
That's fine then, thanks for all of the replies, I'm not dying then :thumbsup:
Just ran a 6k with mine, its just a crappy watch and chest strap, so no graphs or decent stats, but I looked at it quite a lot...

It crept upto about 155 by 1km, upto 170 by 2km and then sat level 167-173 until about 4km when it kept beeping at me that it was going over 180 as I tried to push to the end, spiked 193 at the end as I tried to sprint the last 50metres. No idea how accurate it is, but i feel rather light headed now. :smile:

OP
OP
Thomk

Thomk

Guru
'exercising to failure' is not how to establish your MHR - not sure why a sarcastic reply was called for.

You obviously want someone to search for you, so here you go.... http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/heart-rate-high.111962/

Sigh. When one starts a thread asking a question no one is forced to read it and certainly no one is forced to respond to it. Some people have nothing to say and therefore don't respond and some have useful information to give but can't be bothered to respond. All good so far. Ocasionally though one gets a response from someone who seemingly has useful information but they refrain from giving any specifics, apparantly playing the teacher to the OP's schoolchild.

I had already read the thread you supplied above. The stress test you mention in it is very similar to the one in the website I posted above which you rubished (the link is on line 2 of the first paragraph).

You obviously want someone to search for you, so here you go....

Well sort of but not quite. I'm very happy to be pointed in the direction of accurate data if someone is aware of it, I don't expect anyone to search around though in the dark on my behalf. That is one of the benefits of posting questions on a forum. You might get a response from someone who can seperate the wheat from the chaff AND IS PREPARED TO SHARE THAT INFORMATION. I'm not asking anything of you though so if you can't be bothered that's fine with me.

Not sure what your problem is. Like I said - 'exercising to failure' is not the way to establish your MHR. Not sure why you have such a problem with that. You also have some good pointers as to how you can establish a reasonably accurate MHR - not sure why that is such a problem for you either.

Doseone

Guru
Back in a past life I used to train with a heart rate monitor a lot - and on the odd occasions that I went to the gym and used the treadmill to measure my heart rate it was way out, so I'm not sure that the shiny pads that you grab to measure your HR are very accurate.

Crimmey

Im not too sure how serious you are taking or want to take your training but when I used to run,even quite easy (even when fit) my HR was always in the 160's and to get it down I would be virtually walking.I also had periods when cycling, my HR doing the same. Recently I've had a 'Eureka' moment regarding 'base training' I always thought long slow miles were a waste of time and what help could it possibly do? So my rides were as hard as possible, when possible. Although fast I felt I wasn't improving much and needed to take extended rest periods. I carried this mentality for 3years. Now, however, after an unstructured period of base training usually reserved for winter, my cycling and running have seen big improvements at the lower end of the HR scale and I don't do much running. I feel I can take it easy yet still be going relatively fast compared to previous years. I can now run with a HR av 140-150 ( max 188) but be going at a brisk pace. For long cycle rides (60+ miles) I don't need to eat before or during and not drink anywhere near as much anymore I can also get out of the saddle for extended periods without getting breathless. I can also train for longer wtihout crippling fatigue that can take months to get over.I just haven't worked out when to fit interval training in yet without ruining this 'feel' I have at the moment.

Top Bottom