Hearty rate while jogging

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thomk

Guru
Following a conversation at the gym with the manager I tried jogging on the treadmill for the first timer in ages. My heartbeat went up to 160 which seemed very high to me. I was going quite slowly, 5k in 30mins, am in my mid 40s and about 180lbs and 6ft. Is this an indication that I'm not very fit or should I just pay attention to recovery heart rate?
Edit : Hearty rate??

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
How was your heart rate measured?

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Running will elevate your HR much more than cycling as it uses more muscles and you have the effort of carrying your body weight (cycling you are supported on the saddle). when I run HR is typically roughly 160 and I'm 6ft, 175lbs. Can do the 5K in 23mins. So I'd say you're about right where you should be.

400bhp

Guru
Running will elevate your HR much more than cycling as it uses more muscles and you have the effort of carrying your body weight (cycling you are supported on the saddle). when I run HR is typically roughly 160 and I'm 6ft, 175lbs. Can do the 5K in 23mins. So I'd say you're about right where you should be.

+1

OP
OP
Thomk

Thomk

Guru
I'm intrigued - what kind of conversation..?
Oh we were just talking about cycling and she mentioned a mini triathlon and asked me if I was interested. I told her that I couldn't run (or didn't run anyway) or swim so it would be a bit tricky so she suggested having a go at running next time I was in the gym and taking swimming lessons. I was a bit intrigued so thought I'd have a go at running before thinking seriously about the swimming.

OP
OP
Thomk

Thomk

Guru
How was your heart rate measured?
By putting my hands on the shiny handle things on the treadmill at the end of my run.
Did you feel any discomfort or pain?

No just the normal sweaty knackered feeling you get if you are doing something new/hard/um...knackering.

I asked the question because I couldn't quite understand the literature which seems to suggest that one should be exersising at up to 80% of max heart rate and I think my max heart rate is somewhere in the high 170s so 160 seemed very high.

By putting my hands on the shiny handle things on the treadmill at the end of my run.

first things first - if you intend on training via HR, buy a proper HRM - do not rely on what gym machines might tell you.

I asked the question because I couldn't quite understand the literature which seems to suggest that one should be exersising at up to 80% of max heart rate and I think my max heart rate is somewhere in the high 170s so 160 seemed very high.

Read up on HR training - that will dispel some of the myths and give you some more accurate ways of establishing your true MHR.

OP
OP
Thomk

Thomk

Guru
first things first - if you intend on training via HR, buy a proper HRM - do not rely on what gym machines might tell you.

Read up on HR training - that will dispel some of the myths and give you some more accurate ways of establishing your true MHR.

I have one.

Of course as I have already mentioned I am already researching it but the literature is confusing not black and yellow white. This is the site I visited before posting the question.
http://www.brianmac.co.uk/maxhr.htm

I suppose exercising to failure is the best way?

Of course as I have already mentioned I am already researching it but the literature is confusing not black and yellow white. This is the site I visited before posting the question.
http://www.brianmac.co.uk/maxhr.htm

I suppose exercising to failure is the best way?

That link just puts all of the useless theoretical estimates in one place.. ;)

Exercise 'to failure' is not the best way to establish MHR. There's plenty of recent discussion on this forum which will give you all the info you need...

OP
OP
Thomk

Thomk

Guru
Ah thanks for your "almost" useful advise. I see "to failure" was not an acceptable turn of phrase so I'll be more careful next time.

Yes I'll either continue to search for answers or wait for a more pointed response.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
It doesn't seem that bad to me if you arent used to it, i think when running mines like 160-180bpm, if i can find my HRM ill check when i run later :smile:

Top Bottom