Heatwave tyre pressures.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
When I ran them at significantly lower pressures I was getting loads of punctures - upped the pressure and hey-presto! - not one puncture since...

Go and run Tubeless tires then. No punctures low pressure with lots of comfort & speed.

Thanks Cougie.

I blew up two tyres in a race in Germany and the Conti mechanic basically told me it was too much pressure (and a pothole hidden in a puddle). He swapped the Vredesteins at 120psi for Contis at 90 and I've never looked back since. Great tyres.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Wouldn't worry about it. TBH. 40 years biking, never had a tyre pop due to heat.

If you are a SRAM MTB'er, you've got way more worry of your brakes failing due to heat. There is an issue with a number of their hydraulic brakes that jam in heat. The fix is new revised piston's in the lever. Happened to both brakes on my bike in hot weather. Revised piston cured it.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
You must have arms of granite to get to 120psi. I struggle to get beyond 100psi with my pump.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I did once read something by a guy who'd rode an Etape with Greg Lamond for a few miles in heatwave conditions and the American advised him to reduce his tyre pressures by 10psi because the air would expand in the heat.

Sallar55

Veteran
View attachment 656326
My Brommie on a wooden bridge by The Washlands.

I did once read something by a guy who'd rode an Etape with Greg Lamond for a few miles in heatwave conditions and the American advised him to reduce his tyre pressures by 10psi because the air would expand in the heat.
Almost true it was in the pen at the start of an Etape du tour, he told everyone to loose a little pressure from the tyres. It was going to be hot and when you brake hard on Pyrenees descents they can blow. I was in the pen beside him and his son.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I used to inflate 23/25 tyres to 100-110 psi, this is old school thinking now, it doesn’t make you faster.
I run my 28mm at 75/80 psi and my 25mm at 80/85psi. A much more comfortable ride👍
I don’t reduce pressure when it’s hot as I’m way below max tyre psi recommendations.

bladesman73

Über Member
My days 120psi!? Im 94kg and run Pirelli PZero 25mm at 100pis rear and 90psi front. Even considering trying to lower each by 10psi. Suggest you follow suit, it will make a world of difference.

Milzy

Guru
Bladesman is right you know. 100 psi is enough for a 16 stone person. 120 is noob like pressure which will be horrendous on our rough pot holed roads. Complete madness I tell you.

OP
OP
Roadrat77

Roadrat77

Bladesman is right you know. 100 psi is enough for a 16 stone person. 120 is noob like pressure which will be horrendous on our rough pot holed roads. Complete madness I tell you.

Well I'm nowhere near 16st for a kick off and I'm certainly not a "noob" either.

Top Bottom