Heavy bike versus light bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
My best bike is a Scott Speedster 2009 weighing about 20 lbs .It has 105 groupset and triple chainrings. Not light by modern standards but much lighter than my 29 lb Jamis tourer which I use as a winter trainer /tourer/whatever bike.

Things I love about the Jamis:- Comfortable steel frame,load carrying capability, handles rougfh road surfaces with ease ,mudguards keep drivetrain and me clean ,It just feels nice to ride .

Downside. Hard work on hills.

Things I love about Scott:- Floats uphill,Handles like a thoroughbred,slick gear changes.

Downside High maintenance keeping gears adjujsted ,drivetrain cleaned etc .No luggage capability.
Stiff frame beats you up on rough roads/long distance.

This is a completely pointless post , just me trying to (publicly) sort my head out.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Lighter every time for me. I need all the help I can get. I'm sure wheels (and tyres) make the most difference, lighter and stiffer the better, even at a modest price level. You can still fit mudguards to a light bike. As for 'high maintenance' of gears - one bike has Veloce, one Tiagra, and at most I only have to tweak the cable tension once or twice a year, if that, covering 2 - 3000 miles on each.

sidevalve

Über Member
The advantages of a steel frame. IMHO only by spending a LOT of cash can you improve on a good steel frame. My Dawes, by no means a top of the line model and a good few years old still only weighs in at a smidge over 24lbs rides sweetly over the rough bits and hasn't really needed any fiddling with since I sorted it when I bought it a year or so ago. With better top quality tubing [853 perhaps] a lighter saddle [I LIKE the Brooks] and good components a steel bike is still very hard to beat.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I have a 33lb tourer, a Vivente World Randonneur, which for the past 4 years I've ridden everywhere. It was not just my commuter bike, but recreational bike, too, and I've done a great deal of mountain climbing on it. I have to admit the new road bike I bought 4 months ago, a Specialized Roubaix Expert SL4 handles the climbs better, as it only weighs 17.5lb, but the tourer still has a better gear range, and is definitely more comfortable on longer rides. They each have their good points :smile:.

BSRU

A Human Being
Have you considered a CX bike?
I am thinking about buying a CAADX, as light as my road bike but takes a rack and big mudguards/tyres.
It is sort of in between my tourer(main commuter bike) and my road bike(sunny day bike).

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I don't understand why you have to keep adjusting the gears... the only time my gears need attention is when i change cable.
He runs Shimano ^_^

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
My best bike is a Scott Speedster 2009 weighing about 20 lbs .It has 105 groupset and triple chainrings. Not light by modern standards but much lighter than my 29 lb Jamis tourer which I use as a winter trainer /tourer/whatever bike.

Things I love about the Jamis:- Comfortable steel frame,load carrying capability, handles rougfh road surfaces with ease ,mudguards keep drivetrain and me clean ,It just feels nice to ride .

Downside. Hard work on hills.

Things I love about Scott:- Floats uphill,Handles like a thoroughbred,slick gear changes.

Downside High maintenance keeping gears adjujsted ,drivetrain cleaned etc .No luggage capability.
Stiff frame beats you up on rough roads/long distance.

This is a completely pointless post , just me trying to (publicly) sort my head out.

Similar feelings about my Coppi roadie and Cannondale Ute bike. I always use the Cannondale if I'm feeling a bit meh, it is way heavier and the alfine 8 doesn't have the fine differentials of the derailleur but its almost as comfy as my 3 piece suite and sometimes all I want is a serene if slow ride with a papmered a**e, safe in the knowledge my neck and back will be just as happy at the end as they were at the start.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I used to ride one of these which weighed in at approx 187lbs (85kgs) unladen:
HPIM0543a.jpg

After that, any bike seems light.:laugh:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Bunged my allrounder on the scales and it weighs in at 37lbs or 17kg, that's kitted out with full guards, rear rack, front and rear dynamo lighting and a rackpack with tools and spares. That doesn't feel especially heavy to me and I can't imagine getting all the kit I want on a utility bike at a much lighter weight. But then my lightest weight bike is about 27lbs in stripped down mode. I can't deny they lack acceleration and zippiness but they are also more comfortable over poor surfaces and longer distances.

I have a personal promise that I will treat myself to something really lightweight when I have the body mass and fitness levels to do it justice. I don't think my bank balance is living in too much fear of this one.

Top Bottom