Heavy Duty Bike Locks... help?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MaryKate+Pashley

Hello All,

On Sunday I become the proud owner of a Pashley Bike.

I have bought the following two locks:

Magnum Plus Shackle Lock for attaching to the frame onto a bike rack.

and

A bright yellow loop lock which goes through my front wheel, looped into the Magnum lock.

I am COMPLETELY paranoid about my bike being stolen (I cycle it from home to my local train station) so it gets locked in a station bike rack with lots of people around and taxi drivers nearby BUT the area I live in isn't as nice as it could be.

My question is are the two products I've got going to prevent my bike from being stolen?

Is there any other product I could get to protect my bike or should I invest in a 3rd lock or am I just being a total Paranoid freak?

I assume the latter is the answer. :smile:

Any help and guidance you could give me for a novice would be great.

TIA

Laura

jim55

Guru
there is NOTHING that will prevent theft 100%!!a good lock just buys you time and puts a thief off (hopefully )
anyway ,original question---that u lock would b ok (as good as most ,its how u use it that matters ),bit dear though
and the cable thingy -is it flexy like wire rope ?
id look at a kyryptonite nyc and a cable from them ,all available on ebay etc and prob about the same price as you wana spend

OP
OP
MaryKate+Pashley

MaryKate+Pashley

Thanks for the reply Jim...I realise nothing would prevent theft 100% perhaps I need to rephrase 'Are these locks decent in your opinion to help to prevent my bike being stolen?':smile:

No the yellow loop lock is a solid hardened steel with a rubberised, hi-visibility yellow coating to protect your bikes paintwork. It reminds me of those terrible steering wheel locks you used to be able to buy. It's quite a heavy bit of kit. If anyone tried to mug me for my bike I could whack them over the head with it...

SO8

Veteran
I've just bought two Pragmasis chains ... an 11mm one and a 13mm one. The 11mm one would be OK to transport in a pannier but the 13mm one is a bit too heavy. They are far better than most on the market and along with Almax are regarded as the best. If you are going to one place only each day you could leave a chain locked up there like the 13mm one which is really solid and well respected / tested ? If you ring the guy at Pragmasis (Steve) they are a small UK company and he is very helpful.

A good combination at a train station is one chain/lock like the 13mm one and a D lock or something to secure the front wheel. I use a lock and chain for the frame / rear wheel onto the bike stand and an Abus Bordo for the front wheel to the frame. If you want to go completely mad you can get 16mm or 19mm link chains ... but they are silly heavy and suited more to motorbike security. FWIW there are lots of chains out there which are useless - search on Youtube for Almax and there are videos of a guy who assists them cropping £120-£150 chains with huge bolt croppers. Almax chains won't be bolt cropped but they are huge. The smaller alternative is Pragmasis who though they do the bigger chains also do the 13mm which is almost as secure but much more manageable. I am really impressed with the chains I have bought from them.

Manonabike

Über Member
Hello All,

On Sunday I become the proud owner of a Pashley Bike.

I have bought the following two locks:

Magnum Plus Shackle Lock for attaching to the frame onto a bike rack.

and

A bright yellow loop lock which goes through my front wheel, looped into the Magnum lock.

I am COMPLETELY paranoid about my bike being stolen (I cycle it from home to my local train station) so it gets locked in a station bike rack with lots of people around and taxi drivers nearby BUT the area I live in isn't as nice as it could be.

My question is are the two products I've got going to prevent my bike from being stolen?

Is there any other product I could get to protect my bike or should I invest in a 3rd lock or am I just being a total Paranoid freak?

I assume the latter is the answer. :smile:

Any help and guidance you could give me for a novice would be great.

TIA

Laura

I suggest you buy the best chain you can afford - look in here for one. Since chains are quite heavy to be carrying around then I suggest you leave it at the station.

I also suggest to look in here for information how to use the locks you already have - This is quite good for your D-lock.

Having said all that, if I had to leave the bike at the train station then I'd use an old and tatty bike ..... Being a new bike it's too much of a temptation for thieves.

Top Bottom