How to use a D-lock...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
How many times have you seen someone with a D-lock around the top tube & a solid object? Well wandering back from lunch & I spot this
dlock_proper.jpg
a perfect example of how to use a D-lock to secure your bike.

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
Was there an unsecured quick release from wheel and seat though? This can be annoying > like so - not mine thankfully

If you are struggling to afford a suitable lock for your bike, this may help

I see so many bikes locked up by the top tube only, regardless of lock type - lots of people seem to use long (often very flimsy!) cable locks around the top tube and don't bother locking the wheels etc. Aside from risk of people stealing bits, it makes the bikes likely to fall over, particularly in well-used bike racks!

(Have to say, I don't lock mine up as in that picture though - I go for the front triangle + front wheel, as only my front wheel is QR. If I use a second lock, I do the rear.)

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
How many times have you seen someone with a D-lock around the top tube & a solid object? Well wandering back from lunch & I spot this
[attachment=3900:dlock_proper.jpg]
a perfect example of how to use a D-lock to secure your bike.

thats actually how i usually do mine, through the wheel and frame.

I tend to use a Dlock through the seatstays and wheel (like pictured) and a krpto flex cable to secure the front wheel (not quick release) but it sometimes takes longer than the visit to the shop, etc. I'm a bit stupidly paranoid and still go through this procedure but I can understand somebody just locking around the top tube for a quick visit to the shops in a quiet town.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
[smug mod]That is exactly how I lock up my bike .... and I have wheels which need that 5 sided allen key to release.[/smug mode]

Holdsworth

Über Member
I've tried locking my bike up like that but my Evo Mini lock won't reach around the seat tube and the rim, it's just too small. I'll experiment more and see if I can include the rear wheel any other way, not prepared to buy a new, bigger lock though as cash is tight once more. I do lock my front though with my old cable, probably insecure but my work bike sheds don't seem that dodgy and are only a stone's throw from the security both and several CCTV cameras.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I've gone a step further and now use two d-locks, one as above through frame and rear wheel to bike stand and the other round DT, through front wheel and to bike stand. If it's not possible to lock the front to the street furniture as well then I still lock the front wheel to the frame.

Jezston

Über Member
Sheldon style through the back wheel with a mini-u, and cheap but not clipper-friendly cable through the front wheel and frame.

Top Bottom