Hebden Bridge / Marsden / Holmfirth / Emley Moor - Sunday, May 23rd

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Garz

Squat Member
ColinJ said:
My legs haven't seen the fresh air for about 8 months and look terribly pale. What's worse - I won't be able to wear any form of jacket to disguise my beer belly! I'll have to try and breathe in for the whole ride... :biggrin:

I put on sunblock before yesterdays ride and I still got a mild tan upper body. However my legs I didnt apply and they have a nice tan line just above the knee - HAHA! :smile:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well, that didn't exactly go according to plan! :smile:

Calum and I were riding along fairly happily until we got to Marsden where we stopped to buy some goodies from the local Co-op.

After that, we climbed the hill on the way round to Meltham and I descended the other side ahead of Calum. I waited for him in Meltham centre, and waited and waited... I realised that he must have had a problem and a text message confirmed that he'd got a puncture. I didn't fancy climbing back up the hill so I texted him back to say that I'd wait for him at the bottom of the hill.

There was a long delay before Calum appeared. Turned out that he didn't have a spare tube so he'd patched his original tube instead. Worryingly, he hadn't found the cause of the puncture...

On we went and I was starting to cook in the heat. I'd been wearing a base layer in case it didn't turn out as hot as forecast but that had to come off near Upperthong.

We descended into Holmfirth and then headed for Kirkburton. My right leg was developing some painful twinges and I was beginning to worry about completing the ride, given that we were only halfway round and there were lots more tough hills to come.

Just as we were climbing out of Kirkburton, there was a loud hiss from Calum's rear wheel, the same one that had suffered the original puncture. I had a bad feeling about it...

We checked his tyre and nothing had penetrated it. He hadn't hit any potholes. In my experience, that left two possibilities - a faulty tube splitting (I had a batch of them once), or dodgy rim tape. Guess what? Yes - rim tape, or the lack of it in fact!

Calum has had that bike for years, but whoever originally put the wheel together had been a cheapskate and not used rim tape. Instead, (s)he had done the old black insulating tape trick. I've done it myself as a temporary measure while waiting to get hold of rim tape but have always replaced it when the rim tape was available. This insulating tape had been on Calum's wheel for at least 4 or 5 years and had lost its stickiness and moved around. 3 or 4 spoke holes were revealed and an inspection of the tube revealed that it had been damaged at the location of one of those holes, Several other parts of the tube looked like they would soon have failed too.

I got Calum to straighten out what was left of the insulating tape. It looked like he had covered all the holes and that we'd manage to sort him out for the rest of the ride. I gave him one of my spare tubes. He pumped the tyre up, but a few seconds later - pssssssssssssst - it was flat again - damn!

We spent the next 90 minutes or so patching tubes, trying to cover the spoke holes with spare patches, even improvising temporary rim tape with sweet wrappers. Nothing held. We even managed to blow a hole straight through one of the patches over one of the punctures.

In the end we had to admit defeat. Calum had a very optimistic plan of taking his bike on a bus to Huddersfield to catch the train back to Leeds. Failing that, he'd have to walk the 6 miles with his bike or call a taxi. I didn't like abandoning him there but he said he'd be okay. At least the weather was fabulous and he wasn't shivering at the side of the road in freezing rain!

The delays, pain in my leg, and 90 minutes of standing cooking in the sun had sapped my will to do the original route. I really didn't fancy taking to the hills again, so I did something very unusual for me - took flatter A-roads home.

I cycled into Huddersfield and followed the ring road round to get onto the A629 for Halifax. A long drag took me up to Ainley Top followed by a fun descent of the Elland Bypass. I continued on the dual carriageway towards Halifax and turned off to ride through Copley to Sowerby Bridge. By then I had enough of busy roads and took the Calder Valley Cycleway back to Hebden Bridge.

I'd ended up doing 92 km (57 miles) rather than the intended 120 km (75 miles). It was disappointing the way that things turned out but we'd got 60 km of good riding in before punctures stopped play.

Calum texted me later to say that he'd failed to persuade a bus driver to let him on board with his bike, but he'd remembered riding down past Stocksmoor station and had walked back up there in about 30 minutes and caught a train to Huddersfield, and another back to Leeds.

And the moral of this story is - check your rim tapes folks!

Calum

What a nightmare that was! :smile:

1. 20 minute wait for a bus that they wouldn't let me on anyway.

2. 30 minute boiling hot/uphill walk to the station.

3. 20 minute wait at the station.

4. Planned train from Huddersfield to Leeds was cancelled, so more waiting. Then the train that did arrive was completely packed with hardly any room for people, let alone bikes. - Had to get the next one 15 minutes later.

5. 30 minute walk from Leeds station to home.

6. Lots of Pizza and Beer!

Just ordered new tapes from Wiggle and a few more inner tubes (one of which will be given to Colin next time we meet). Let's hope the next ride goes a tad smoother! :wahhey:

colly

Re member eR
Sorry to hear you had problems.:ohmy:

Looking on the bright side though.

The work I had planned for yesterday didn't materialise so it was in the garden soaking up the rays, drinking cool beer, and messing about generally.

I had a cracking day. :blush::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

zacklaws

Guru
That sounds like a bad day. Wonder if its worth carrying a load of shopping bags on rides, then if you need to catch a bus, strip the bike down, stick it in the bags best you can and tell the driver you've been shopping.

Calum

colly said:
Sorry to hear you had problems.:biggrin:

The work I had planned for yesterday didn't materialise so it was in the garden soaking up the rays, drinking cool beer, and messing about generally.

I had a cracking day. :laugh::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Lucky swine!!!!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
colly said:

I had a cracking day. :smile::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
You should have been standing at the side of the road with us, not lazing about in the garden! :laugh:

zacklaws said:
That sounds like a bad day. Wonder if its worth carrying a load of shopping bags on rides, then if you need to catch a bus, strip the bike down, stick it in the bags best you can and tell the driver you've been shopping.
I did wonder whether Calum could have got away with boarding the bus if he'd taken the wheels off the bike. He could have claimed it was just a collection of bike parts.

I think the pain I experienced in my right leg might have been due to a varicose vein. I've found what feels suspiciously like one in the area that has been hurting and it is very tender to the touch. I'll see if it calms down over the next day or two. I think I'm getting old... :thumbsup:

Chrisc

Guru
Well that's a hell of a way to spend the day! Sorry to hear it. Calum, the walk up Birksgate to Stocksmoor station is a bit steep! My in-laws had the farm in Thunderbridge and I've trailed up and down it fetching cows many times. Gets a bit slippy with the green splat under foot... in wellies.. :laugh:

I made it out early on before taxi duties, got my first ever 50 mile ride under my belt and boy was I a picture when I got back, talk about damp...and the ruddy flies! But feels good to have done the distance. :smile:
I was pretty wiped out today tho at work!

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
colly said:
Sorry to hear you had problems.:thumbsup:

I had a cracking day. :laugh::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

no surprise. colin is a jinx. i bet the number of mechanical free rides can be counted on a 1 fingered lancastrians hand.:smile::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Bayerd

Über Member
How did you go on with the greenflies? I headed out to Holmfirth last Thursday and rode through a fly storm dropping down into Netherthong and every ride for the last few days has seen me covered in them by the time I've got back.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Bayerd said:
How did you go on with the greenflies? I headed out to Holmfirth last Thursday and rode through a fly storm dropping down into Netherthong and every ride for the last few days has seen me covered in them by the time I've got back.

free protein without the weight penalty.:laugh:

Top Bottom