Hebden Bridge / Marsden / Holmfirth / Emley Moor - Sunday, May 23rd

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Svendo

Guru
I'm a possibility, though I'd probably meet you where you come out of Blue Ball Road next to Baitings Reservoir, or go that way and catch you up where ever. 8am in Hebden is just TOO early to ride out from Rochdale for. Need to check my social calender.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
colly said:
Bung me down as an almost definite for any of the weekends. :smile:
I'd most likely ride out and meet you on route and take it from there. Maybe Holmfirth, will depend on the route and so on.

aJohnson said:
I'll probably be there if I'm free when the ride takes place :biggrin:

Svendo said:
I'm a possibility, though I'd probably meet you where you come out of Blue Ball Road next to Baitings Reservoir, or go that way and catch you up where ever. 8am in Hebden is just TOO early to ride out from Rochdale for. Need to check my social calender.
Noted! (Mentally - I've given up on my short-lived table!)

I agree about the time svendo - it's a bit early for me too, but if I made it later it would end up being too late later on!

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I doubt that SHMBO will be coming.... chances of a baby sitter are pretty slim, and I tthink the proposed route would be a little bit too "lumpy" for her tbh.

I'm tempted to start in Hebden cos I've not ridden much round there, and it would make a change.

If starting there I'd drive over, and dump the car overnight. I work in Elland, so I can always nip on after work and pick it up.

colly

Re member eR
Well it looks like the weekend of the 16th is out, but any of the rest should be ok.

Colin the section from Hebden Br. out to Dendy Dale looks very much like the southern section of the WYCR .

If that is the case I might see if I can't start at Hebden Br. and work my way around and back home from there.

8am start might be tricky tho. I'll see what the train times are like.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'm beginning to think that you guys don't hang on my every post but I admit that I've made this rather confusing... :evil:

aJ - all being well, I'll do the ride on the 2nd and the 9th so you could come along the first time.

colly - the route uses half of the WYCR between HB and the Sculpture park on the way out and the other half on the way back. I've done it that way because some of the hills are nicer to ride that way round. You could always continue along the WYCR to get home from the YSP but you'd miss the section between the YSP and Meltham.

I based the original times on my average speeds on recent forum rides but I reckon I can go faster than those. I was looking at my tracklog from last year's Brian Robinson Challenge and I averaged 17.5 kph on that which was over similar roads.

I agree that 08:00 from Hebden Bridge is a bit early. It isn't possible to get here by train on a Sunday at that time. There is a train from Leeds getting in at 09:30 and one from Rochdale at 09:52. We could make it 10:00 from Hebden Bridge station? I could meet anybody coming in by car at the usual car park at 09:40 and we could ride round to the station to meet anybody coming by train.

With a faster estimated average speed of (say) 16 kph and starting at 10:00 from the station, these would be the estimated times:

Hebden Bridge station 10:00
Marsden 12:25
Holmfirth 13:10
YSP 14:40
(Depart) YSP 15:25
Holmebridge (for Holmfirth) 17:25
Slaithwaite (for Marsden) 18:25
Hebden Bridge 20:00

That would still leave about 45-60 minutes of daylight but I'd carry lights in case of delays.

It's a bit difficult trying to cater for everybody but I think that would allow the maximum number of people to come along.

What do you reckon? (That's aimed at all of you who have shown interest.)

Chrisc

Guru
ColinJ said:
This is the proposed route:
Holmfirth [CC Rendezvous]...

New Mill, Fulstone, Thunder Bridge, Kirkburton, Emley Moor, Emley, A636/7 to West Bretton, Yorkshire Sculpture Park [Visitor Centre restaurant]...

WYCR bridleway through park (unless you'd prefer to go out on roads), High Hoyland, Lower Denby, Upper Denby, High Flatts, Low Common, Victoria

I'll join you for this middle bit if you tell me where to rendezvous in Holmfirth. It'll be good to meet up. I live a few miles from the sculpture park but would nip back down to Holmfirth to make a ride of it. Which way up from Kirkburton are you thinking of?

Did you also say you are doing this on two consecutive weekends?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Chrisc said:
I'll join you for this middle bit if you tell me where to rendezvous in Holmfirth. It'll be good to meet up. I live a few miles from the sculpture park but would nip back down to Holmfirth to make a ride of it. Which way up from Kirkburton are you thinking of?

Did you also say you are doing this on two consecutive weekends?
Hi Chris. You just caught me before I shut the PC down for the night...

Looks like the little map wasn't detailed enough! Er... (consults more detailed map)... hmm, it looks like exactly what I wrote - directly east through Oakroyd over Emley Moor, through Emley village. I've been through Emley before but not Kirkburton. We came back through Flockton and Grange Moor on the Kirklees Sportive and Brian Robinson Challenge.

I basically just drew a straight line on the map and found the nearest quiet-looking roads from Holmfirth that looked fairly interesting! I quite fancy riding close up to the Emley Moor tower to get some interesting photos of it. I took this one from a distance on the BRC last year:

emley_moor_wide.jpg

As for meeting in Holmfirth - we are basically coming down Upperthong Lane and turning left onto the A6024, then shortly after that, right up the A635 towards New Mill. I don't know where the best place to wait would be - the end of Upperthong Lane maybe, just before the junction?

There might be a bit of hanging about to do. I'll be sticking very strictly to my route which will be programmed into my GPS so you could proceed in the opposite direction and meet us somewhere on the way but if you deviated at all from the route then we could miss each other.

Oh, er yes - it looks like it might well be on Sunday 2nd and Sunday 9th because some people can make one date but not the other.

Chrisc

Guru
Hi Colin,
Well you'll certainly get close to the mast that way. Too close to take a picture without a wide lens! I ride up there most days but haven't gone up Jagger lane before as it's the steepest route to the top. Might have to have a go tomorrow.
If you're coming into Holmfirth from Upperthong the best place to wait is across the road from the tourist info office in the car park near the market. I'll be coming into Holmfirth directly down your planned route anyway so if we don't meet in the car park I'm sure I'll spot you coming back up.
Sorry I didn't notice the red line on your map, was looking at the site on my phone. Very small picture!
Here's my dutch bike taken with my back to the mast looking towards Holme Moss.
CrescendoEmley.jpg

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I've got final permission for this (on the 2nd). The missus thinks she might join us for the Holmfirth loop all being well (baby sitters permitting).

10am start is much more civilised ;)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Chrisc said:
Well you'll certainly get close to the mast that way. Too close to take a picture without a wide lens!
All I've got is a very small digital camera. The lack of a wide angle lens shouldn't be a problem because I was thinking more in terms of taking pictures looking upwards since I already have ones taken horizontally!

Chrisc said:
If you're coming into Holmfirth from Upperthong the best place to wait is across the road from the tourist info office in the car park near the market. I'll be coming into Holmfirth directly down your planned route anyway so if we don't meet in the car park I'm sure I'll spot you coming back up.
Might be better at the T.I.C. car park otherwise we will have to cross the road twice and I bet that is busy on Sunday lunchtimes?

Chrisc said:
Sorry I didn't notice the red line on your map, was looking at the site on my phone. Very small picture!
Ah, I was wondering why you hadn't looked at the map!

I'm not a fan of mobile phones - I don't like to be interrupted when enjoying a ride or a walk but I always carry one on forum rides. Despite my dislike of mobiles, I would like a smartphone so I could use the internet when out and about.

Chrisc said:
Here's my dutch bike taken with my back to the mast looking towards Holme Moss.
CrescendoEmley.jpg
Nice picture but I'm glad that the winter is finally over!

How low do the gears go on your bike? I don't worry about taking rides up very steep hills because I have a very low bottom gear - 30/28, or 29".

Chrisc

Guru
ColinJ said:
Might be better at the T.I.C. car park otherwise we will have to cross the road twice and I bet that is busy on Sunday lunchtimes?

What's the TIC car park? Not sure where you mean there.

ColinJ said:
Ah, I was wondering why you hadn't looked at the map!

I'm not a fan of mobile phones - I don't like to be interrupted when enjoying a ride or a walk but I always carry one on forum rides. Despite my dislike of mobiles, I would like a smartphone so I could use the internet when out and about.

It's an iphone and very useful for just that! And with the gps it can point me out on the map if lost.

ColinJ said:
How low do the gears go on your bike? I don't worry about taking rides up very steep hills because I have a very low bottom gear - 30/28, or 29".

My lowest gear is a 34/25 so about 36". Can be a slog sometimes round here.

Top Bottom