Hebden Bridge / Marsden / Holmfirth / Emley Moor - Sunday, May 23rd

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Svendo

Guru
Well I did the Tourmalet and Hautacam in 36x27 at about 5-7 mph for the Tourmalet and 3-5 mph for the Hautacam (with some faster bits to overtake people). Not that I'm showing off or owt... !

Chris James

Über Member
Hi Colin, I'll keep an eye on this and try and join you lot.

Is 2nd May a goer? I live in Emley, depending on exact times (including my youngest dropping off to sleep and the wife agreeing to babysit!) I would try to meet up at some point. Just need to think it thruugh - not much point me trundling 2 miles to the YSP and then having a 45 min cake stop!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Svendo said:
Well I did the Tourmalet and Hautacam in 36x27 at about 5-7 mph for the Tourmalet and 3-5 mph for the Hautacam (with some faster bits to overtake people). Not that I'm showing off or owt... !
That does it - if even you can only manage 3-5 mph on Hautacam then I'm steering well clear of the thing until I can just about keep up with you on one of my forum rides!

Chris James said:

Is 2nd May a goer? I live in Emley, depending on exact times (including my youngest dropping off to sleep and the wife agreeing to babysit!) I would try to meet up at some point. Just need to think it thruugh - not much point me trundling 2 miles to the YSP and then having a 45 min cake stop!
The 2nd is definitely planned but subject to me being physically up to it!

Having paid £25 for the privilege of doing the Brian Robinson Challenge tomorrow I'm damn well going to have a go at it, but I have been feeling a bit rough for days and am worried that I am going to make myself properly ill which would put my participation in the following Sunday's ride in jeopardy.

Put it this way - I should know by early next week whether I feel okay or am at death's door so I'll let you know one way or the other. If you don't hear from me, assume that I didn't survive the ride and check the Huddersfield papers for news about my demise! :laugh:

As a local, can you confirm that sweaty cyclists are welcome at the Sculpture Park restaurant? I'd be pretty miffed if someone tried to turn us away! It hasn't happened to me yet, but there is a first time for everything!

Chrisc

Guru
Chris James said:

Chris
I'm planning to ride down to holmfirth from Shat to make a run of it. If you decide to go and want to meet up beforehand let me know.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Chrisc said:
Hope it goes well tomorrow Colin!
Thanks. The thing that is making me nervous is how hard I find Wessenden Head and Holme Moss even when I'm feeling okay. If my pulse rate goes crazy on them I might have to swallow my pride and walk, something I hardly ever do.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I eventually saw sense and gave up on the BRC. I'm not well and would have suffered like a dog and probably made myself really ill to have even attempted it.

I came to the conclusion that the forum ride next weekend means more to me than forcing myself to grovel round the BRC route today. My BRC entry fee has gone to two good charities so it wasn't wasted.

I'll do my best to be okay for the ride on the 2nd May and will keep you informed.

Chrisc

Guru
Wise decision, it's a lot to ask of an ill bod. Hope you recover soon. Right now we're having a cracking thunderstorm here. Poor buggers out in this weather. Won't be too much fun.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Chrisc said:
Wise decision, it's a lot to ask of an ill bod. Hope you recover soon. Right now we're having a cracking thunderstorm here. Poor buggers out in this weather. Won't be too much fun.
I don't mind pushing myself when I'm feeling okay, but every exertion the past few days has made me feel giddy and jelly-legged so there wasn't much sense in doing the ride.

I was just thinking that about the weather - it's been the same here. I would probably have taken at least another 45 minutes to get back to Huddersfield and then a further 75-90 minutes to get home so I'd have been well and truly soaked. If I'd done the ride, I would have been wearing a lightweight shower-resistant gilet which would have given me very little protection from that rain.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Drove past the BRC start line on my way up to mums early this morning. It had just stopped raining, and the two guys sticking up the direction arrows on the crossroads looked tired, wet, cold and miserable.

Still wished i'd been riding it though.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Sysagent said:
When is this happening now Colin?
The plan is to do the ride on the 2nd and the 9th so there is a choice of dates.

The only thing is - I'm currently off my bike with some mysterious lurgy so I might not be fit to ride on the 2nd. I've sent a PM to Svendo to see if he will volunteer to lead the ride if I'm not up to it. I can send him the details to program into his GPS.

I'll make sure that I keep you all informed. With luck I'll be recovered enough by the weekend.

PS Okay, it turns out that Svendo is working on the 2nd.

Does anybody else who is planning to do the full ride from Hebden Bridge on the 2nd May have a GPS? If not, I suppose that I could knock up an audax-like route sheet.

colly

Re member eR
It will be the 9th for me.

This weekend has ''spoken for'' written all over it :blush: owing to some family members deciding they want to start house hunting up this way.

Damn southerners, why cant they just stay put ? :ohmy:

Top Bottom