Hebden Bridge / Marsden / Holmfirth / Emley Moor - Sunday, May 23rd

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sysagent

"The Most Annoying Man In The World."
Flew off the bike on this morning commute on the "Train Tracks Of Death" in Preston dock area this morning, as a consequence I have slashed my right hand grasping at a chevron sign...

I will see how it heals the next couple of days and let you know, as it is I don't think I could do the milage comfortably with it as it is.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sysagent said:
Flew off the bike on this morning commute on the "Train Tracks Of Death" in Preston dock area this morning, as a consequence I have slashed my right hand grasping at a chevron sign...

I will see how it heals the next couple of days and let you know, as it is I don't think I could do the milage comfortably with it as it is.
Nasty! ;)

Somehow, I can't see that healing in a couple of days but if it does - come on down!

If not, there's always the 9th.

I didn't know there were docks in Preston. (Heads off to Google...). Oh, interesting!

Chris James

Über Member
Sorry, it's looking like my parents are coming over from Chester on Sunday so prob can't make it. May be able to hook up next Sunday although that isn't looking good as my wife is scattering her grans ashes (yes, that does sound like very imaginative excuse making!)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Chris James said:
Sorry, it's looking like my parents are coming over from Chester on Sunday so prob can't make it. May be able to hook up next Sunday although that isn't looking good as my wife is scattering her grans ashes (yes, that does sound like very imaginative excuse making!)
Hmm, it does sound like you are accounted for both weekends!

Never mind - join us on another one some time.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
If it's any consolation there's (currently) nothing wrong with me.....

Except for

A bad back
A very dodgy knee
Asthma
Hayfever

Oh... and due to the above, and lack of miles this year I'm a fat bastard too.

See you on Sunday ;)

Where are we meeting? btw

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Kestevan said:
If it's any consolation there's (currently) nothing wrong with me.....

Except for

A bad back
A very dodgy knee
Asthma
Hayfever

Oh... and due to the above, and lack of miles this year I'm a fat bastard too.

See you on Sunday :blush:
Excellent! Well, not that I want you to have all those things wrong but it means my iffy back, bruised knee (I scooted into my desk on my office chair a couple of days ago! :biggrin:), wheezy chest and beer belly won't seem quite so much of a handicap!

We can watch aJ whiz off up the hills and he can freeze at the summits waiting for us! :thumbsup:

aJ - there's going to be a cold northerly wind blowing tomorrow so make sure you are prepared for it this time! (aJ is unfeasibly skinny and gets cold very easily)

Kestevan said:
Where are we meeting? btw
Oh, haven't I done that yet? I always copy-and-paste the car park details from the previous forum ride thread but I must have forgotten to do it this time. Hang on...

ColinJ said:
Meet at Market Place car park at 09:45 with a view to leaving at 10:00. I don't think anybody is coming by train so we can get straight off once everybody has arrived.

If anybody decides to turn up announced (it has happened before) make sure that you get here by 09:45 because we won't hang about just-in-case!

getmapimage.asp

It's a long stay pay-and-display car park and is only about 30p/hour. NB - wardens regularly patrol here and issue £70 fines so make sure you pay enough!

Alternatively, there is a stretch of the A646 between Hebden Bridge and Mytholmroyd here where there aren't any yellow lines so if you can find a spot, you could park there and ride in. That's on the right as you come from Mytholmroyd.

The centre of Hebden Bridge is now pedestrianised and there is a one-way system. To get to the car park turn right up Commercial Street as you come into HB from the Halifax direction, second left after about 100 yards by the White Lion. Follow that road round over the river. The car park is then on your right.

I'll PM you my phone number in case there is a problem.

dan_bo - are you still coming? If so I'd suggest a geared bike if possible because there are a quite a few very tough climbs on this route!

aJ - if I don't hear from you, I'll assume that you are still coming!

Anybody else fancy joining us?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

longers said:
Yes, but I shouldn't. Have fun :biggrin:
Oh, but you could form a skinny climbers club with aJ while The Big Boys fight a rearguard action! :thumbsup:

Garz

Squat Member
aJ - there's going to be a cold northerly wind blowing tomorrow so make sure you are prepared for it this time! (aJ is unfeasibly skinny and gets cold very easily)

:thumbsup: :biggrin: :blush:

It is true though!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Garz said:
:biggrin: :blush: xx(

It is true though!
On our first ride together he was actually going slower downhill than he was uphill! I asked him why and he said that the effort of climbing warmed him up. When plunging down descents, the windchill almost froze him solid. Eventually he got so cold, he had to abandon the ride!

I've got about 35 pounds of surplus fat keeping me warm, but I really felt the cold in the winter last time I was skinny and fit.

When you think about it, you don't see many skinny whales or seals do you? There's a reason for that - the skinny ones are all dead! :thumbsup:

aJohnson

:thumbsup:

I'll be there, I'll try to make sure I don't get cold so will probably be wearing a long sleeve jersey (Thermal underneath) with shorts and legwarmers.

Atleast the predicted wind is lower now than it was a few days ago.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

aJohnson said:
Only teasing you... :thumbsup:

aJohnson said:
I'll be there, I'll try to make sure I don't get cold so will probably be wearing a long sleeve jersey (Thermal underneath) with shorts and legwarmers.
That's the spirit!

I'll wait until the morning to make a final decision about what clothing to wear. It is likely to be one of those in-between kind of days - too mild for full winter kit, but not warm enough for normal spring kit. I reckon it could be the man-in-black look again. (Black shorts, long-sleeved black base layer, black jersey, black leg-warmers, black arm-warmers, black gilet!)
aJohnson said:
At least the predicted wind is lower now than it was a few days ago.
Yep - 13 mph winds instead of 20 mph, but still with gusts up to 30 mph! :blush:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

dan_bo said:
Mucho apologetti spaghetti somethings come up for tomorrow afternoon. I'll be out for a bit in the morning.but then ive gotta dive back early doors. See you out next time.
And then there were 3... :biggrin:

Enjoy your ride and perhaps see you on the rerun next Sunday?

Top Bottom