Hedge Trimmer Wooden Handle Repair/Replace

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Would pick-axe or sledgehammer handles work? You'll likely need to shave down the end to fit, but seem more or less the right profile. Maybe you could get a pair out of one pick handle

found some nice black Mishimoto high-torque hose clamps & did a little more work on it
whole shears.jpg

doesn't look to bad ...
left handle.jpg

inserted thin watery glue & clamped the cut end for a minute, then switched the clamp for 2 wraps of duct tape
cut end.jpg

the seams seem to be sealed
glued seem.jpg

thin glue.jpg

the back side where I cut the bolt w/ a hacksaw. the clamp got snipped w/ snips, then curled the cut end under so it wouldn't catch on anything & applied a small length of duct tape to seal that edge in. & yeah I see the hole I drilled is not perpendicular to the handle. I rushed & hand held the drilling the slot & the side hole. I often rush & make sloppy mistakes like this. maybe they add character? excuses ...

but I would like a drill press
clamp backside.jpg

there just wasn't enough meat above the bolt, at the end of the handle, especially w/ the worm gear placement on the flatter side of the handle. there is no movement. the bolt is snugged up & the JB Weld filler has cured solid
backside.jpg

worked well on some weeds
shears on wall.jpg

I guess I should have noticed the notch in one blade & used it as a guide for how thick a twig I could cut. whacking at little oak trees, with all my might, using the end of the long original handles as leverage, surely helped damage the handle. we have garden loppers for that. we should not abuse our tools
notch.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-16 at 7.16.47 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-16 at 7.16.47 PM.png
    133.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
found some nice black Mishimoto high-torque hose clamps & did a little more work on it
View attachment 731130
doesn't look to bad ...
View attachment 731131
inserted thin watery glue & clamped the cut end for a minute, then switched the clamp for 2 wraps of duct tape
View attachment 731132
the seams seem to be sealed
View attachment 731133

View attachment 731134
the back side where I cut the bolt w/ a hacksaw. the clamp got snipped w/ snips, then curled the cut end under so it wouldn't catch on anything & applied a small length of duct tape to seal that edge in. & yeah I see the hole I drilled is not perpendicular to the handle. I rushed & hand held the drilling the slot & the side hole. I often rush & make sloppy mistakes like this. maybe they add character? excuses ...

but I would like a drill press
View attachment 731135
there just wasn't enough meat above the bolt, at the end of the handle, especially w/ the worm gear placement on the flatter side of the handle. there is no movement. the bolt is snugged up & the JB Weld filler has cured solid
View attachment 731136
worked well on some weeds
View attachment 731137
I guess I should have noticed the notch in one blade & used it as a guide for how thick a twig I could cut. whacking at little oak trees, with all my might, using the end of the long original handles as leverage, surely helped damage the handle. we have garden loppers for that. we should not abuse our tools
View attachment 731138

Even in photographs, that is immensely satisfying

Top Bottom