Hedge Trimmer Wooden Handle Repair/Replace

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
was doing some yard work at Mom's house. guess I may have stepped on? the hedge trimmer handle when I stupidly placed it on the ground. my late Dad had it sharpened in 2016 according to the tag, that he never removed. also, the handle in question, had 2 screws inserted (where it broke) so it must have been weak there

now it's up to me to replace the handle. can't find one on-line, that's a direct fit

9 1/2" long
it's oval shaped 1.5" x 1"

should have a solid top so that a rivet or screw can hold it in place
but maybe there is a slot of some kind for the metal tang to be inserted?
should be a hardwood
should have a snug fit

been looking at some generic options on-line. should be able to cut them down to the correct length, then find some way of shaping the top to fit the metal collar

should I removed the good handle just to see how it is attached? hoping not because then I'll have to re-attach it

anyone fix something similar?
hedge trimmer whole.jpg

hedge trimmer crop 1.jpg

I like old records like this
hedge trimmer crop 2.jpg

wish I could go to the hardware with him again. he was always so appreciative when I did things around the house, before he passed away 2 years ago

Badger_Boom

Über Member
If you know anyone who's handy with wood working it ought to be possible to make a new one out of a bit of (probably) oak.

Dadam

I'm more of a bodge it DIY guy than an expert so take this with a pinch of salt but it looks like the handle has a slot that slips over the end of the metal arm and then the collar fits over that to stop the wood splitting and all is riveted in place.
If you drill or tap out the rivet and remove the bits of broken wood it should be obvious how it's fixed.

It should be easy enough to shape down a bit of old table leg or random piece of hardwood. The handle looks a lot like one from from a lump hammer.

yes the handle is the length of a hammer handle. went to 2 hardware stores, including 1 that is a big box home improvement store. neither had hammer handles, which is disappointing because that used to be a common item to buy, because I have replaced a hammer handle before. the big box store still stocks long, wooden, yard tool handles
home depot wood handles to edit.jpg

most were round, some were oval. if I decide to spend this much $$ I'll bring the broken handle in & match it up w/ whatever is closest & use whatever section is appropriate

I thought I saw an extra wood hammer handle somewhere. maybe my basement but maybe my parents' garage. I wonder if Dad bought one but never installed it anywhere. he did things like that. I would love to use what he, himself bought. but I won't be back there for 3 weeks ... hmmm

I do have some 1.5" square stock, pressure treated pine, but it's pretty hard & straight. might work in a pinch, with some carving & sanding

Last edited:
I'm more of a bodge it DIY guy than an expert so take this with a pinch of salt but it looks like the handle has a slot that slips over the end of the metal arm and then the collar fits over that to stop the wood splitting and all is riveted in place.
If you drill or tap out the rivet and remove the bits of broken wood it should be obvious how it's fixed.
thank you, yeah, I think that's a good 1st step

Gwylan

Veteran
was doing some yard work at Mom's house. guess I may have stepped on? the hedge trimmer handle when I stupidly placed it on the ground. my late Dad had it sharpened in 2016 according to the tag, that he never removed. also, the handle in question, had 2 screws inserted (where it broke) so it must have been weak there

now it's up to me to replace the handle. can't find one on-line, that's a direct fit

9 1/2" long
it's oval shaped 1.5" x 1"

should have a solid top so that a rivet or screw can hold it in place
but maybe there is a slot of some kind for the metal tang to be inserted?
should be a hardwood
should have a snug fit

been looking at some generic options on-line. should be able to cut them down to the correct length, then find some way of shaping the top to fit the metal collar

should I removed the good handle just to see how it is attached? hoping not because then I'll have to re-attach it

anyone fix something similar?
View attachment 730850

View attachment 730851

I like old records like this
View attachment 730852

wish I could go to the hardware with him again. he was always so appreciative when I did things around the house, before he passed away 2 years ago

I will write this slowly so that my colonial cousin can understand. If necessary I will speak even slower and louder.

Anyway, those are called shears in English. That's proper English.
You should be able to find replacements for the handles on the ( speaks louder here) internet
Do you have the internet in your country yet?
Shears are treasured momentos of a byegone age. They are treasured and kept in special buildings generally called sheds. A light covering of rust is a symbol of their spiritual value to the holder
They are normally passed from father to son in secret rites known only to the participants.
These sheds are men shrines and require special rites before entering or leaving. Alcohol , usually beer is involved but the rites are very secret.
No man who enters such a shrine may mention what happens there. Lapses are allowed that include references to terms like sharpening, repairing or more broadly fixing.
Sheds often have to contain failed light bulbs, partially consumed pots of paint and most sacred if all paint brushes that are stiffened with the sacred colour of magnolia.
I do hope you find this helpful.

classic33

Leg End Member
Are the ends of the collars, where they overlap the blades and wooden handles, open or closed?
If open can you see anything at the top end(End of the wooden handles for instance.

If you can see any wood, then removing the rivet holding the collar, shears metal handle and wooden handle in place requires removal. A heavy nail cut just that bit too long can be used as a replacement rivet. Should you go down this route, keep the piece(s) from inside the collar to help you make a replacement.

went to 2 more hardware stores looking for handles w/ no luck. figured I'd poke around & see what I could do

the ends of the collars, where they overlap the blades & wooden handles are closed
removed the pin head
removed the broken wood bits
removed the collar
removed the pin
turned the broken handle upside down
drilled out an opening for the metal tang, basically a slot w/ a deeper center hole
found a bolt, nut & washers
drilled out the metal tang hole to match the bolt
lined up everything & drilled a hole thru the wood (not easy to line up w/ the hole in the tang)
side 1.jpg

broken top 3.jpg

the other end w/ my holes. no drill press did it by hand. a wider larger slot at the top w/ a center deeper section for the tip of the tang. it's a bit off center but it wedged in pretty good w/o movement
new top 2.jpg

the pin was quite stubborn. clamped it in a bench vise & twisted the shears (^_^) back & forth & wiggled it out
pin side view.jpg

cleaned the rust w/ a sanding drum
cleaned tang.jpg

the end cap got roughed up so I didn't re-use it. plus if I wanted to reuse it, I'd have to sand down the handle or use another tool so it would be just small enough to fit in. I don't really have that skill. maybe I'll put an unglamorous hose clamp around it
filled void 3.jpg

it was nice & snug, probably could have gone deeper. probably should have
filled the void w/ JB Weld 2 part epoxy, but it was snug especially w/ the bolt in place, just a slight bit of movement, hence the JB Weld as filler
snugged up the bolt & nut
filled void 1.jpg

cut off the broken shreds & noticed the handle is cracked but not the whole way. think I'll fill that w/ wood glue & maybe add a wrap of tape
broken end.jpg

I'll leave it alone for a cpl days & let it dry & cure. cut the bolt, to the nut. add a hose clamp & tape. it's gonna be ugly :-(

remembering now that when I was using it I probably didn't step on it but I may have damaged it trying to cut thru something that was too thick, a small oak. wound up getting a small bow saw that Dad had
& who knows what other damage from misuse was pre-existing
if this is an ultimate fail, I can remove everything & try again
don't expect to need it for much of anything, Mom hired a profession tree trimmer last summer & she has a regular landscaping company come every week or so
so I might never use it again & just put it back in my parents' house

classic33

Leg End Member
That collar, as light as is, is there to help keep the wood in place and prevent it snapping.
You'll be replacing the handle again, soon. Get summat round the end of the handle, on the top side of that rivet.

Top Bottom