hedgebottom special!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobtoo

Über Member
This is mine with the 700C wheels, I think it will be much the same geometry as yours.

8503695712_8781daf4d7_b.jpg ATB not required... by RichardB5, on Flickr

OP
OP
robsa

robsa

Über Member
To be frank, the paint is falling off and its generally quite rusty. Don't know whether to oily rag it and ride it till it breaks or spend on it or go back to my first love
WP_20151009_001.jpg

Last edited:

ChrisEyles

Guru
Do it!! The Dawes is great, but that bike I like even more - what is it?

OP
OP
robsa

robsa

Über Member
That Chris was, at the age of 12 my door to the world. She's an old Sun no idea what model but I love her to bits. Sat forlorn in my mums outhouse. So, do i dick about with that scabby Dawes or shall I resurrect her.

OP
OP
robsa

robsa

Über Member
Trouble with it was it had a ridiculously tight high speed ratio on the rear cluster. Now, in my teens I was stupidly fit and could hack it. But I'm rapidly closing to 50. Do I ride her on that gearing and be found in a crumpled sweaty 9/10ths dead heap,or adopt,adapt and improve????

Hi, that Dawes has come up looking a lot better.
Have you tried that Hamerite rust removing gel? I had some rusty wheels that I was about to bin , brushed some on and left it for days , I eventually washed the dried stuff off and was amazed at how much rust had come off. They are not perfect but are hell of a lot better. If you can obtain some cheap replacement wheels that might be easier and more cost effective, but if you have a lot of rusty chrome parts it might be worth considering.

OP
OP
robsa

robsa

Über Member
Wotcha Geoff, I'm in a quandary! Really fancy doing up the Dawes but been to my mums and had a good look at my old faithful,reliable Sun and I'm torn. Do I faff about with a bike that, to be honest means nothing to me but a project, or refurbish a cycle that has a lot of memories

Top Bottom