hedgebottom special!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi Rob, I suppose it's like an old friend ,you stick with them. It doesn't look like it needs much doing on it. As for thinking you won't be able to cope with the hills at your age, at my age if it is too steep I get off and walk, failing that I'll stop and wait for the bus.

[QUOrobsa, post: 3946147, member: 40180"]That old bird was how u learnt the foot on pedal scoot..... Scoot leap method of getting on a bike. So, the yellow peril still fits[/QUOTE]
You don't see people scooting these days do you. We used to do it on pavements ready to jump off if a Copper caught us.
I was just thinking that method of jumping aboard was like how they started the TT races (Hailwood and Ago) era.

Wotcha Geoff, I'm in a quandary! Really fancy doing up the Dawes but been to my mums and had a good look at my old faithful,reliable Sun and I'm torn. Do I faff about with a bike that, to be honest means nothing to me but a project, or refurbish a cycle that has a lot of memories
Hi Rob , just had a thought , how many teeth does the clanger on the Dawes have as opposed to the Sun. I thought if it was less you could swap them over for the time being.
Geoff.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
[QUOrobsa, post: 3946147, member: 40180"]That old bird was how u learnt the foot on pedal scoot..... Scoot leap method of getting on a bike. So, the yellow peril still fits
You don't see people scooting these days do you. We used to do it on pavements ready to jump off if a Copper caught us.
I was just thinking that method of jumping aboard was like how they started the TT races (Hailwood and Ago) era.[/QUOTE]

Pre 1987 all motorbike grand prix races were 'push starts'. The rules were changed on safety grounds to stop riders whose bikes hadn't started yet being mown down by a fast starting back marker who could be going at a fair lick by the time they came to where the poor guy was still pushing.
The TT races have always been a time trial format with riders starting at 10 second intervals although they have started in pairs.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Well, if the bike fits, what are you waiting for? ;)

I'd be very tempted to swap out the old freewheel for a 14-28 five speed cluster if it's currently tightly spaced (just check the capacity of the derailleur first to see it can handle the biggest sprocket). Unfortunately the new ones don't seem as nice quality as the golden oldies, but on the other hand it doesn't do anything for your enjoyment of the bike to be busting a gut and your kneecaps while the top of the hill somehow recedes ever further away from you!

I have a serious weakness for yellow racers - my first road bike was also called the "yellow peril", an 80s Puch Alpine that I loved to bits, and that Sun looks even nicer. I've recently acquired my second yellow bike, this one a 97 Marin off-roader... since it will be used for bombing down treacherous rocky trails, it's entirely fitting that its now been dubber "Peril the second".

Top Bottom