heeeeellllllllppppppppppp!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

got-to-get-fit

I need some creative solutions quick....

On the way into work tonight the saddle dropped a few inches.
When i got there i checked the seat post clamp and the allen bolt was loose.
No problem i thought, i got the allen keys out and tightened it ..........too much....snap!!!

shoot.....cos the bike is carbon it has a plastic seat post clamp.

So to re-cap im here at work, facing the prospect of a 12 mile ride home at 6 in the morning with my seat all the way down, meaning im gonna have to ride home standing on the pedals all the time.

Unless that is someone can come up with a solution.
Please dont say a jubilee clip as i thought of that about an hour ago and have spent the last 60 mins in a fruitless search for one.

Any other ideas........c'mon dont fail me now cycle chat members.

bonj2

Stick something else of a specific length down the seat tube, such as the end of a broom, so that the seat tube will only be able to go in so far? it might be a bit wobbly, and you'll never get the other thing out, but it will put your saddle at the right height for the ride home.

OP
OP
got-to-get-fit

got-to-get-fit

i work in a petrochemical factory ......lots of engineering stores around but i have looked through them all and cant find anything suitable.

Oh, there are no fitters / electricians etc etc here at the moment either and i work in a office so i have no real engineering skills.

bonj2

Or better still, can you find some chemical that sets and calculate the required volume and pour it down? You might then be able to seal the seatpost in and it won't even be wobbly.

OP
OP
got-to-get-fit

got-to-get-fit

One of the guys in the Labs has just come to the office with a clamp thats used for holding conical flasks with ....it looks ideal cos the hands of the clamp are lined with cork so it wont scratch. However ive tried it and i cant get it tight enough.

Bonj the shoving something down the seat tube thing is not a bad idea but im not sold on the chemical bonding idea.
User76 im not in love with the wedge idea as i might risk a split in the frame. and the wedges would have to be really fine and i also might loose them if the slip down inside the frame and then ive got an even bigger issue.

Keep the ideas coming though......

OP
OP
got-to-get-fit

got-to-get-fit

User76 said:
OR..... you could get loads and loads of zip ties, and spend most of your shift fastening them from the saddle down to the required height, then the seat post will not be able to slip into the tube:biggrin: You will have a bike that looks like one of those native tribes women with copper rings though:sad:

That actually makes a strange kind of sense.......and i know where there are a load of cable ties

OP
OP
got-to-get-fit

got-to-get-fit

Rhythm Thief said:
I'd get a taxi and get the thing fixed properly later. You don't want to bugger up your expensive carbon frame trying to bodge a quick fix.

Taxi would cost about 15 quid, Plus a new clamp .........i think id rather save the money and ride home on the pedals.

Can't you take the clamp off, find a Bunson burner and melt it back together, then lob some tape around it for good measure?

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Can you shim the stem and jam it in place, or would that compromise the frame?

(Good emergency shim materials are those thin metal earth straps that hold the green and yellow wires to under sink plumbing, check your kitchen or toilet ares. In fact, if you were to put one as a collar round your stem you could possibly use an earth strap as a rudimentary jubilee clip?!?)

Or how about a good thick cable tie in place of the bolt, done up monster tight?

My only other and rather daft suggestion would be to feed 5 or 6 C size batteries, or empty film cannisters, down the tube to set the stem at the right height and then gaffer the stem tight to the frame to stop the saddle turning.

mondobongo

Über Member
Carbon frames are not cheap why take the risk with your pride and joy, get a taxi or ride it standing up.

Top Bottom