heeeeellllllllppppppppppp!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave5N

Über Member
Shim it with staggered sheets of paper. ie, a strip at the top, then another overlapping but a few mil down, etc.

It will jam the post so it won't slip down, but tricky to get the right height - a zip tie will help.

OP
OP
got-to-get-fit

got-to-get-fit

Well......i have a solution, of sorts.

I have used some electrical tape wrapped round and round the stem until it is too thick to go down the tube. This seems to have stopped the tube dropping. I have also continued the tape down and wound it round the down tube this seems to have limited the amount of play or swivel on the saddle.

Oh well... its not ideal but it will get me home (hopefully) :biggrin:

that will teach me not to be so gorrilla handed in future :biggrin:

got-to-get-fit said:

I once tried to fit a headset at work. I couldn't get the fork crown bearing race on, so I scrounged a bit of stainless tube from the engineers' shop, put it over the steerer tube, put the fork on the ground and hammered the top of the stainless tube in an attempt to force the bearing race on. Predictably enough, when I picked the forks up (with the bearing race still not fitted), I found I'd bent the dropouts until they were completely closed up. One pair of forks in the skip ...:biggrin:
Hope it gets you home.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Rhythm Thief said:
I once tried to ride home on a folder with no saddle which I found in a skip. It was only a mile or so, and I was pretty fit in those days, but four or five hundred yards was enough for me. It's harder than it looks, riding standing up over long distances.

When I lived in Osnabrück there was a bloke who I would see zooming around quite a lot who never, ever sat on his saddle. In fact I used to wonder why he even bothered having one on the bike. I suppose it's like anything else and the relevant muscles get trained up with time.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
got-to-get-fit said:
Well......i have a solution, of sorts.

I have used some electrical tape wrapped round and round the stem until it is too thick to go down the tube. This seems to have stopped the tube dropping. I have also continued the tape down and wound it round the down tube this seems to have limited the amount of play or swivel on the saddle.

Oh well... its not ideal but it will get me home (hopefully) :biggrin:

It's your bike, clearly, but I really wouldn't ride it like that. You're essentially shoving a wedge down the seat tube with your body weight:ohmy:. If that tube splits, your frame is toast:eek:. And you with it, possibly:eek:. For the cost of a taxi ride I really, really wouldn't do it.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Don't ride a poncy carbon bike?:biggrin:

Sorry, I'd be more use but I know bugger all about carbon, and it seems all the useful suggestions have been made already....

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Did you get home ?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Arch said:
Don't ride a poncy carbon bike?;)

Sorry, I'd be more use but I know bugger all about carbon, and it seems all the useful suggestions have been made already....

:ohmy::angry::biggrin::angry::biggrin::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Envy, Arch. Envy.:biggrin:

Anyway, 'get a seat clamp that's not made of cheese' would maybe be more helpful;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
TheDoctor said:
:biggrin::angry::biggrin::angry::smile::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Envy, Arch. Envy.:biggrin:

Anyway, 'get a seat clamp that's not made of cheese' would maybe be more helpful;)

Oh, you know it's only because I know I could make all the weight saving on any bike, if I just ate less!:biggrin:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Arch said:
Oh, you know it's only because I know I could make all the weight saving on any bike, if I just ate less!:biggrin:

I could save more than you. So there.

*can't believe I'm getting into competitive dieting here...:biggrin:*

gavintc

Guru
I hope he was not arrested for putting bicycle tubing where it should not go and will shortly appear on the sex offenders register.

Top Bottom