Heinz beans still the best?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
Tesco's own baked beans here. This is the sum total of the branded products I buy, all the rest are Tesco or Sainsbury's own:

Heinz sandwich spread
HP sauce
Lea & Perrins Worcester sauce
Yeo Farm yoghurt
Silver Spoon sugar
Campbells condensed mushroom soup

HP sauce is the only one of those that there's a Tesco substitute for, and I went off the taste of it after they changed the recipe.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Is Sandwich Spread still a thing? I thought it fell from favour years ago.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Do the cheaper brands contain more liquid and less beans?
In my experience that was true in the past , now supermarket own brands have the same bean/ sauce content as the leading brands . Taste is OK as well.
I do like Heinz 5 beans , I bought 3 cans in Aldi recently didn’t check the price . £1.79 a can :eek::cry:.

vickster

Legendary Member
I buy own brand beans now. Waitrose the best obvs :whistle:
Heinz ketchup though, not that I eat a lot of it

vickster

Legendary Member

My dad eats loads of it…my mum calls it cat sick on toast :laugh:
Asda, Tesco and Waitrose sell, don't think Sainsbury’s do. It can be hard to find on the shelves, often hidden with the Shiphams pastes!

Fastpedaller

I understand the nutrition 'experts' have been saying for years that cheaper beans are better because they have less salt and sugar.

presta

Guru
I've had people tell me that premium brand products are healthier because they use better quality ingredients that taste better without the need to pimp them up with salt, fat & sugar. I didn't look thoroughly, but on the handful of products I checked the oposite was true: premium brands are less healthy. If you're charging a premium price you need a premium taste to justify it, and if you're marketing a loss leader you don't want to make it taste too good. I've just looked at baked beans, and they pretty much identical on salf, fat, sugar, and also the quantity of beans, but the Heinz has 36% tomato, whereas Tesco has 20% tomato puree instead.

I recall a BBC article about the high levels of sugar in Dolmio sauce prompting sneers, and retorts about not touching the stuff. It wasn't long before people started posting their recipes, at which point I got out the calculator and showed them that their own sauces were higher in sugar than the stuff they're criticising.

It's not one of my favourites, but I struggle to find a variety for sandwich fillings that can be bought in suitable quantities.

they have always made me gag baked beans so I dont eat them
Same here. Horrible things, that tomato sauce stuff they are in is nauseating.
I like beans in general; its the 'baked beans in sweet tomato sauce' that I can't stand. I don't like tomato ketchup either - or bog-standard tinned tomato soup - but I love tomatoes themselves, cooked or raw, tinned or fresh. It's the very-highly-processed tomato 'products' I can't eat.

gbb

Legendary Member
Another vote for Branstons, much prefer them to Heinz.
Heinze used to be the go to brand for us but something changed some years ago and we just stopped enjoying them.
Branston are rich in flavour...last time i got some, Iceland were doing a six pack for £3,70.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yeahbut baked beans are a a British staple, enjoyed by generations of kids and adults. You can just stick a slice of bread in the toaster, heat up a small can of baked beans and have yourself a filling snack in a few minutes.
I remember eating Branston and they were rather good.

Top Bottom