Heinz beans still the best?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sainsbug’s low salt/sugar here. Perfectly acceptable

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Is Sandwich Spread still a thing? I thought it fell from favour years ago.

A few years ago i needed some small glass jars to store small screws and nails in. Empty ones from homeware and craft shops were a bit too big and a tad too expensive, but sandwich spread jars were perfect in both size and price, so i bought 8 thinking I've not had sandwich spread since i was a kid. It was rank no matter the flavour. xx( Most of it went in the bin but the jars remain, keeping my screws and nails nicely organised :okay:

I actually prefer the cheaper baked beans. Doesn't matter which shop brand they all seem the same to me nowadays. The beans are just a little firmer than Heinz which I prefer and the sauce is pretty much the same. Even if I prefered Heinz beans I wouldn't pay their prices though. The Lidl/Tesco/Aldi/Asda/Sainsburys cheap beans are only about 25-29p a tin such a huge price difference to Heinz. The Heinz beans would have to be amazingly nice to justify their price. Saying that I've not had Heinz beans in about 10 years or more I compared them a long time ago.

pawl

Legendary Member
I prefer Branston beans now. Heinz are rubbish.

Branston for me. The sauce in Heinze is tasteless.

gbb

Legendary Member
Just had Branston beans on toast (not curried today)...lovely.
Had to go to Iceland to get some, £4 for 6 cans pack...66p a can. While they've gone up a lot with inflation, 66p just does 2 of us, plus toast. What marvelous value.

And I remember when you could occasionally get a 4 pack for £¹, usually they'd be £1.50. Doubled the upper price since then.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Towergate beans from LIDL are good! If I'm not in then I order ASDA's Just Essentials stuff,

No perceiveable difference, I normally have a dollop of Brown sauce, BBQ sauce or Worcester sauce in them while microwaving anyway, sometimes also cheese 😂

simongt

Guru
With all food, it's much a matter of personal taste and that is a VERY broad canvas. The subtlety of the sensitivity of our respective taste buds and how they've been 'treated' in the past; smoking, drinking, spicy foods etc., affect how tastes are interpreted by our body.
Add to that the very English custom of drowning food in salt, or red / brown sauce before said food has even been tasted says a lot - ! :whistle:
Or maybe it's felt that so many foods now have no discernible taste that such treatment is felt necessary - ! :laugh:

Tenkaykev

Guru
Towergate beans from LIDL are good! If I'm not in then I order ASDA's Just Essentials stuff,

No perceiveable difference, I normally have a dollop of Brown sauce, BBQ sauce or Worcester sauce in them while microwaving anyway, sometimes also cheese 😂

I keep a bottle of Hendersons Relish to hand. A couple of splooshes in the saucepan while heating transforms them.

presta

Guru
I've just got round to reading this month's Which? magazine.

From best to worst:
Asda
Branston
Co-op
M&S
Sainsbury's
Lidl Newgate
Heinz
Morrisons
Tesco
Waitrose Essential
HP

(Aldi scored well, but they changed the recipe after the test was done)

Top Bottom