Hell of the North Cotswolds - 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Nice clips, that first climb is always a right b'stad isn't it. ;)

Mind you, going round the edge of that crop field after the walk up that short sharp, unrideable section was nothing short of bloody evil. :sad:

bonk man

AlanW said:
Nice clips, that first climb is always a right b'stad isn't it. :wacko:

Mind you, going round the edge of that crop field after the walk up that short sharp, unrideable section was nothing short of bloody evil. :biggrin:

Did anyone manage to ride that steep climb? I was having a go but the knees were not having it, too far into the ride.......on our local hills or in a race I might have got up it, but that field was amusing :wacko:

The first climb is ok, just long and slow, it is ok as a gentle warm up, later on it might be a blow a gasket climb, the longest of the day so better go up it gently.

There were a few people on the last bit across the common who were in a state and walking.
It caught a few out just before the wet track down to the road, bottles everywhere and a bloke sitting by his bike having recently taken a trip over the bars:sad: he said he hadn't broken anything so I left him to get himself together. I fell off there in a previous event that came down that track, just when you think it is all over and your arms are feeling nearly as tired as your legs there is a cratered trap waiting to grab your wheel and chuck you on the deck:laugh: excellent .............

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
bonk man said:
Did anyone manage to ride that steep climb? I was having a go but the knees were not having it, too far into the ride.......on our local hills or in a race I might have got up it, but that field was amusing :smile:

The first climb is ok, just long and slow, it is ok as a gentle warm up, later on it might be a blow a gasket climb, the longest of the day so better go up it gently.

There were a few people on the last bit across the common who were in a state and walking.
It caught a few out just before the wet track down to the road, bottles everywhere and a bloke sitting by his bike having recently taken a trip over the bars:sad: he said he hadn't broken anything so I left him to get himself together. I fell off there in a previous event that came down that track, just when you think it is all over and your arms are feeling nearly as tired as your legs there is a cratered trap waiting to grab your wheel and chuck you on the deck:laugh: excellent .............

I would not have expected anyone to have ridden all the way up that climb to be honest, no matter how low a gearing set up you had, that last little bit was far to steep.

And as always the drag across the Cleeve common was taking its usual toll, even more so into that cruel headwind. Unlike last year when I admit to having to walk it, this year I rode it, ok very slowly, but I still rode it. :tongue:

maurice

That corner on the field was awful! I'm glad it wasn't just me that had a problem as I felt a right plum not being able to get round a fairly shallow looking bend.

Had a crack at that short steep climb too. Got most of the way up but that last stoney bit defeated me, just ran out of leg-power at the crucial moment, it's definitely possible. (I had an 11-34 cassette on)

bonk man

I think we all need to meet up at the hill in question one day this summer and have a crack at climbing it, the quickest wins some knee balm :smile:

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
bonk man said:
I think we all need to meet up at the hill in question one day this summer and have a crack at climbing it, the quickest wins some knee balm :biggrin:

What a great idea, if only I knew where it was...............

bonk man

I am sure we could work it out.... start at the finish and ride back round.

Wouldn't it be great if they put it in near the start of the event, perhaps in a downward direction:evil:

I think it was near the 70km mark on the map, looks like the right contours and switch back in the track.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
bonk man said:
I am sure we could work it out.... start at the finish and ride back round.

Wouldn't it be great if they put it in near the start of the event, perhaps in a downward direction:evil:

I think it was near the 70km mark on the map, looks like the right contours and switch back in the track.

I wish that we could, but isn't some of the route on private land?

In fact, I must look in more detail on my GPS log, I'm sure that I could find it?

bonk man

Most of the route was on public roads or permissible routes, bridleways etc by the look of it. Could make a weekly ride out of it, just imagine how fit you would be :smile:

Top Bottom