Hello again 32" waist!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian A

Über Member
Go you. May I ask what is your height and weight.

I am 5ft 7 and weight about 11st 10lb. I currently wear 34 jeans but would love to get down to 32.

My new commute is 6 miles each way too so wondering if you altered your diet too? If I do the same, I may also drop the jean size.

A lot of it depends on build. I'm the same height and could/did wear a 32inch waist trouser at 12 stone. I'm not a slim build. At just over 70kg summer race weight (just over 11 st?) I still can't comfortablly wear a 30" trouser and wear a 32 with a belt with extra holes to make it smaller. Everyone is different shape I guess.

That does sound a little blasé doesn’t it. It certainly wasn't easy and required a lot of reading. The "how to lose weight" question is the question which launches a thousand arguments. I know what works for me and it's nothing controversial but I tend to keep away from the subject on forums etc.

:laugh::laugh:
I was having a laugh there,not a dig.
I really meant it.
I reckon I do on average 70 miles a week on trails,twice a week.
Not a huge amount over the whole week on average though,but it's pretty tough going in the mud sometimes.
I just can't seem to get down to that magic number for love nor money.
A look at my diet again could solve it.
1 sweet a day,but I thought that was less than normal

Ian A

Über Member
:laugh::laugh:
I was having a laugh there,not a dig.
I really meant it.
I reckon I do on average 70 miles a week on trails,twice a week.
Not a huge amount over the whole week on average though,but it's pretty tough going in the mud sometimes.
I just can't seem to get down to that magic number for love nor money.
A look at my diet again could solve it.
1 sweet a day,but I thought that was less than normal

^_^^_^^_^^_^^_^^_^^_^

I didn't read it as having a dig. I'm a big fan of the idea that weight is lost in the kitchen. I think the subject causes so many arguments because there are so many right answers, so many examples of people having long term success by using different methods. I read up on sports nutrition originally and then looked at what causes hunger/appetite etc, reading from different sources with different ideas. Never change your whole philosophy on one book/information source and read opposing views. I'm a boring person because I find all this stuff interesting :laugh:.

Last edited:
^^ that's the only bit I've changed. 80 miles a week is enough for me to lose weight quickly but only as long as I'm sensible with my diet.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've been 32" all my life and never needed a bigger size although in recent years I have noticed that thanks to vanity sizing, supposedly 32" trousers are now more like 34" and are cut straight, without any "waist". Worse still, some M&S cords have ELASTIC in the waist! *shudders*

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've been 32" all my life and never needed a bigger size although in recent years I have noticed that thanks to vanity sizing, supposedly 32" trousers are now more like 34" and are cut straight, without any "waist". Worse still, some M&S cords have ELASTIC in the waist! *shudders*
Good grief - your poor mother ... :eek: I suppose that would be all of your adult life! :okay:

My adult waist size has varied up and down between 31 inches and about 50 inches (:blush:). I am currently hovering in the mid-30s waiting to get stuck into my cycling again. I would like to get another 4 or 5 inches off to regain my ideal 32 inch size. The trouble is, the skin on my face will then look 2 sizes big so I may just settle for a normal-ish face and a slightly flabby waist ... :whistle:

Stephenite

Membå
I have massive respect for those that lose weight, esp. from around the middle. I give it a half-hearted attempt every now and then, without result, to lose the pot belly. I put cycling shorts on yesterday for the first time this Winter. It looks like i'm six months gone. I find it hard to get into a routine, though, with two small children. But, i could reduce the wine consumption at the weekend. Just a bit of rambling here now.

Ian A

Über Member
Funnily enough when I weighed less in my early adult life I used to wear a medium or large in supermarket t-shirts (cheap for scruffy work days). I now wear a sized small supermarket t-shirt despite being bigger/weighing more. The sizes definitely change with what is perceived as average. Same for shirts. I now buy slim fit instead of tailored for the same neck size but I am bigger.

Last edited:
Funnily enough when I weighed less in my early adult life I used to wear a medium or large in supermarket t-shirts (cheap for scruffy work days). I now wear a sized small supermarket t-shirt despite being bigger/weighing more. The sizes definitely change with what is perceived as average. Same for shirts. I now buy slim fit instead of tailored for the same neck size but I am bigger.
Yes. For women I think i read a while ago that the average brit woman is now size 16 (allowing a lot who should definitely cut out the pies being able to claim that they are of "average" build) but the thing is, that's a NEW 16, not the old 16. So a not so sweet 16.
For folks of whatever sex trying to lose some weight round the middle i can recommend the my free fitness pal app - it makes the dreaded prospect of calorie counting pretty straightforward and easy.

OP
OP
roger06

roger06

Well dropping to 32" waist trousers was one thing. Now I have to use a belt as they are now starting to fall down!

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Quality read well done all !

At my biggest was in 42" waist @ 24stone plus , then got my life back in order & now in an easy 34" did try a 32" the other day but it wasn't having any of it now 15st 6lb

Top Bottom