Hello and a plea from us horse riders!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HovR

Über Member
There have been a few people who have mentioned whistling, ringing bells and making other unusual noises to alert the horse and rider.

Whilst I'm not a horse rider, I would assume that speaking/singing etc would be better, as this allows the horse to recognize you as a human, not some potentially dangerous funny two wheeled contraption making odd whistling and pinging noises. :smile:

It's as much for the benefit of the horse to know you are there and what you are, as it is the riders.

Someone with more experience can correct me if needed.

Linford

Im sure you can get horsey nappies these days, nearly every silly invention has been done!

I suspect that Cunobelin did a thesis on this before now ;)

OP
OP
E

Eve

Regular
The thing is, I was nervous of the prospect that if the horse lost it and went for me I would have nowhere to go. Is there anything else I could have done here to calm the horse?

Chances are that the horse would have buggered off tbh! They don't 'go' for people, they just want to get away from the scary car, bike, leaf (yes seriously!) etc. There wasn't really anything else you could have done :smile:

OP
OP
E

Eve

Regular
What a ****
I wonder if you could fit a camera mount to a horse's bridle?
No but you can get helmet cameras and I do use one - very useful when having an altercation with a car. Incidentally did you see the article about a driver who was arrested after assaulting a cyclist who was wearing a helmet cam?

OP
OP
E

Eve

Regular
Im sure you can get horsey nappies these days, nearly every silly invention has been done!

!horse.jpg
:biggrin:

OP
OP
E

Eve

Regular
It's even worse when one is riding a bent.... horses are just damned scared of the things. Looks like they don't know what to think or do when they see one of those coming towards them.
Are they the things where you sit down with your legs out in front of you? We passed one today for the first time - pony didn't know what to think!

OP
OP
E

Eve

Regular
And Eve: welcome.

Hi! Can I just say that the fact that your user name is Betty Swallocks and you are a "large member" has totally cracked me up!! :biggrin:

Linford

Chances are that the horse would have buggered off tbh! They don't 'go' for people, they just want to get away from the scary car, bike, leaf (yes seriously!) etc. There wasn't really anything else you could have done :smile:

Not forgetting the most dangerous of all - the carrier bag in the hedge and manhole cover

alans

black belt lounge lizard
I witnessed a horse literally sit on the bonnet of a car behind it.The damage to the car was extensive & included broken suspension components.
The driver had approached to an extremely close distance &.......jumped on his horn FFS.

Having seen the results of equine mass in a percussion application I give horses a very wide berth after slowing down & announcing my approach using comms such as good morning or bike behind.

Linford

I witnessed a horse literally sit on the bonnet of a car behind it.The damage to the car was extensive & included broken suspension components.
The driver had approached to an extremely close distance &.......jumped on his horn FFS.

Having seen the results of equine mass in a percussion application I give horses a very wide berth after slowing down & announcing my approach using comms such as good morning or bike behind.

This sounds like natural selection in action - what a muppet :rolleyes:

OP
OP
E

Eve

Regular
Yes... car drivers seem to forget the damage that a horse can do to their cars. When on the roads I have a hi-viz tabbard with this on:
horse_vs_car.jpg

Funnily enough since wearing it all the drivers I've met have been lovely :rolleyes:

alans

black belt lounge lizard
They don't forget 'cause they are not aware in the first place.They simply do not exercise any cerebreal effort wrt responsible road use.
That pic is horrendous.My immediate thoughts were..
sympathy for the horse
hope the rider was o.k.
the driver must have been shocked to have that sitting on his knee

OP
OP
E

Eve

Regular
They don't forget 'cause they are not aware in the first place.They simply do not exercise any cerebreal effort wrt responsible road use.

Yes, my uncle rides a motorbike and is full of stories about drivers just pulling out in front of them. I also see it al lot near where I work as the area is very popular with the road bikers - total nutters IMO as the hills there are VERY steep!

P.S the driver would most likely be dead :sad:

Top Bottom