Hello from a large rider in Birmingham

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
A

aBear87

Regular
Just because we dont have the money right now doesn't mean we won't be buying a bike in the future. What I'm saying is save the cash for the rigid fork (unless your existing fork is seriously knckered as is) as it won't make that much difference to your riding. Big blokes like us can make much more difference losing weight than shaving a few hundred grams from our bikes, which you will do while riding anyway. Just enjoy it.

Yeh I get what your saying.

nappadang

Über Member
Hi Andy and welcome.

Get yourself weighed soon, then monitor (not too closely). Once you see the weight dropping off this will be motivation enough to push you on.

Good luck mate, getting a bike was definitely a smart move.

Just because we dont have the money right now doesn't mean we won't be buying a bike in the future. What I'm saying is save the cash for the rigid fork (unless your existing fork is seriously knckered as is) as it won't make that much difference to your riding. Big blokes like us can make much more difference losing weight than shaving a few hundred grams from our bikes, which you will do while riding anyway. Just enjoy it.

I second this, the FS26 I had was dual suspension and the minute I sat on it, the suspension was pushed to it's limit and actually riding it helped me lose weight faster as pedalling would also be soaked into the suspension too.
What I'd say, is stick it out, take Limeburn's advice and save towards the new bike (I did the same), use your money for when you need it or for things you'd like than making major tweaks.
Personally, ride it until it dies of death, then upgrade :biggrin:

My old Merida took me over 150Kg (max weight for the bike) to a happy 143Kg. Now the new Merida is just keeping me going. You can do it dude!

Ern1e

Über Member
I buy matalan/tesco stuff which is cheap and cheerful, if it gets ruined, not a lot of money lost. But, every time you pull your trouser waist together, feel proud of what you've accomplished :biggrin:

I also seem to but an awful lot of gear from both of these and my most fav ! good old army surplus stuff cheap does the job wears well and on the odd occasion trendy lol not that is any concern of mine ! and yes I have on old pair of jeans a 58" waist and an old shirt 5xl (which was very tight) that I take a look at now and again,Bl**dy hell was I a fat slob or what !!!

I buy matalan/tesco stuff which is cheap and cheerful, if it gets ruined, not a lot of money lost. But, every time you pull your trouser waist together, feel proud of what you've accomplished :biggrin:

I also seem to but an awful lot of gear from both of these and my most fav ! good old army surplus stuff cheap does the job wears well and on the odd occasion trendy lol not that is any concern of mine ! and yes I have on old pair of jeans a 58" waist and an old shirt 5xl (which was very tight) that I take a look at now and again,Bl**dy hell was I a fat slob or what !!!

It's all about making progress and moving forward. I love the size I am now, as going into Tesco/Matalan and being able to buy off the shelf is an amazing feeling, leaving the only thing I still have to buy online is shoes (UK13). No longer am I needing Jacamo's ridiculously overpriced clothing :biggrin:

Ern1e

Über Member
It's all about making progress and moving forward. I love the size I am now, as going into Tesco/Matalan and being able to buy off the shelf is an amazing feeling, leaving the only thing I still have to buy online is shoes (UK13). No longer am I needing Jacamo's ridiculously overpriced clothing :biggrin:
Not only overpriced but c**p also ! I bought a pair of chino's they only lasted 6/7 months,once I got down to the size I am now bought a pair in the sale at Mr asda's for mere £6 and well two years later still got some milage left in them so yep you bet being a trim large size is bl**dy fantastic but you know this already lol.

Not only overpriced but c**p also ! I bought a pair of chino's they only lasted 6/7 months,once I got down to the size I am now bought a pair in the sale at Mr asda's for mere £6 and well two years later still got some milage left in them so yep you bet being a trim large size is bl**dy fantastic but you know this already lol.
Haha, I've just posted up what cycling's done for me. It's an amazing feat to lose weight, and such an awesome feeling to pick up those clothes.

Luckily, I've sort of dodged most of Jacamo's clothing, and only have their work and casual shirts. I've had no issues, they fit nicely and are smart looking.
I used to buy from anywhere that was cheap and cheerful, such as The Red House Shop, BigFish and local big men's stores. Now I'm looking forward to losing a bit more, to start buying suits. :biggrin:

Top Bottom