hello from a newbie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
wee_lass

wee_lass

it does look a nice wee bike tho, isn't 14" rather small tho, i thought a 16 or 17" bike wld maybe suit me, atm i am using my mums 18.5" bike and its just slightly too big as i had to put the seat up a little to accomodate a child seat.

wee_lass said:
i live up in sunny scotland! (can't u tell from my name) he he

Should have known! Sounds much better than 'little girl'! ;)

Hope you find what you're looking for. As swee'pea99 said, getting a good secondhand bike is a good move. Often they're better value for money than a new cheap piece of junk.

wee_lass said:
it does look a nice wee bike tho, isn't 14" rather small tho, i thought a 16 or 17" bike wld maybe suit me, atm i am using my mums 18.5" bike and its just slightly too big as i had to put the seat up a little to accomodate a child seat.

Well I'm a 6'1" gentleman and ride a 19.5" so your 18.5" is waaay oversized, particularly if you are a lady type person.

Without wanting to get too personal, whats your inside leg measurement?

OP
OP
wee_lass

wee_lass

eeerm i dunno wld have to measure! short i'd say

yeh the 18.5 is too big coz i can barely reach the ground when i am sitting on the saddle, i thought 16 wld prob b ok.

OP
OP
wee_lass

wee_lass

i guess i have always been used to bikes being too big, as i have never had one of my own and used other peoples bikes! (cheap skate i know but hey am scottish oor arms are 2 short to reach oor pockets)

The bike i used to ride was bigger than 18.5" and that really was way too big as cld never touch the ground when sitting on it, the 18.5 i can touch the ground with the balls of m feet, but i had to put the seat up slightly for the kiddie seat meaning i can only just reach so that aint v good,
so to me 14" seems tiny! as i was thinking along the lines of 16 or 17 if cld not get 16.

Stan agen a wa', stuff a book between yer legs and hay an assistant mark the position of the book wi a pencil. Measure frey the pencil mark tae the floar, in inchies and then tell ees whit it is an al tell yee whit yer frame size wants tae be.

WheelieG

Hello Wee Lass, I'm in the process of choosing a new bike and am 5' 4" with an inside leg measurement of 31.5". My bike shop thinks I need a 15" to 17" frame. I'm trying a 15" tomorrow and we're going to take it from there.

Other shops have simply tried to sell me whatever size they happened to have in stock but this one actually wants to sell me one that fits and that I'll be happy with. (Marshalls in Hertford).

When my son was very young I used to take him to the park on an old bike which was too big - I ended up falling off with him in his child seat. Fortunately it was on grass and I managed to grab the bike just before it hit the ground. He wasn't hurt but it could have been much worse.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll find the perfect one but I'd personally avoid buying anything unseen and untried.

Top Bottom