hello from a newbie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
wee_lass

wee_lass

aye? from where?

Livingstone (Livisson) and Haddington (Hadditen) until I was 11, then we moved away tae Africa then Ingland.

I'm an Allan of Clan Ranald MacDonald but I feel like a sassenach.

OP
OP
wee_lass

wee_lass

omg i wld never loose my lovely accent, i can't stand the sassenach way of speaking.

anyhow u think a 14" - 15" frame wld suit best?

r u meant to b able to have ur feet flat on the ground when sitting on the saddle?

OP
OP
wee_lass

wee_lass

coz i always thought it was meant to b the balls of ur feet

Saddle height (relative to the pedals) is determined by your inside leg measurement. Bottom bracket (where the pedal cranks rotate in the frame) heights vary a bit so the position of the saddle relative to the ground means little. A good benchmark is when you're sitting in the saddle and with your heel on the pedal you should be able to straighten your knee. Then, with the ball of your foot correctly positioned over the centre of the pedal your knee will always be slightly bent. This technique will set your saddle height to within a few mm of ideal for pedalling efficiency but as a beginner you might want to start out with your saddle 20mm or so lower than ideal until you've gained more confidence.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
mickle said:
when you're sitting in the saddle and with your heel on the pedal you should be able to straighten your knee.
I always thought it was a case of, with your heel (in your usual footwear) on the pedal, your knee should be *just* bent. Ie, raise your saddle till your leg is straight, then lower it a cm or so. No?

Top Bottom