Hello from a Yorkshire man in Eastside Rutland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bikeyboots

Hello Everyone, I though i would join in with a welcome post to this fine forum I stumbled upon a few weeks back and in which I've been doing a fair it of lurking!

I used to be well into cycling as a teenager, I even worked in a bike shop for my work experience, but then beer found me and here I am a 33 year old who at the beginning of August this year weighed a hefty 22.7 st (317lb) !! :wacko::ohmy:

Having just watched and thoroughly enjoyed this years Tour De France I thought it was about time I got of my lazy arse and get back into cycling, something I had thought about for a good few years but done nothing about!

I set to it, got the exercise bike out of the shed and got selling things on eBay to fund a real bike. Now over a month later I'm down to 20.12 st (ish) (294lb) after watching what I eat thanks to Livestrong.com and bbcgoodfood.com (for low fat food ideas) and a change in my mindset and daily life I'm well on the way in the right direction. I have to also say a big thanks to the 22st Cyclist, The 39st Cyclist and the Massive MTBer for inspiration and giggles.

Last week I had managed to raise £250 for a bike and after visiting the Halfords website I found a Carrara Vengeance Disc brake bike with hydrolic brakes reduced from £500, I couldn't resit.

I know what many of you are going to say.. ugh Halfords.. and yes I admit I did feel dirty afterwards, I didn't get amazing service or a very good customer experience, but I built it myself ;) and as a starter bike it will do me for a year or so :smile:

Also I have to say compared to my bike of the early 1990's this is a world apart, the spec of this bike would have cost £1000 back then if not more.

So just wanted to say hello and I'm hoping that me writing this will make me hang out here a bit more as this seems like a great forum.

From a Yorkshire Man ( Bradford ) now living near Stamford in Lovely Rutland.. eh Up ;)

Bigsharn

Veteran
Welcome to CC, it's good to see someone else with a bit of extra baggage into cycling :smile:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Biggest county to smallest. A bit of a change there!

Lovely part of the world round there. Loads of pubs and churches in Stamford, so take your pick. Or both, of you fancy.

OP
OP
bikeyboots

bikeyboots

Thanks guys :smile: Thoroughly enjoying it, just been out for another 12 miles, but discovered just how rubbish headwinds are!:wacko:

I'm up to 52 miles since thursday when I got my bike back from Halfords, I'm quite proud of my progress so far, not been beaten by a hill yet (surprisingly there are quite a lot round Stamford!), I think all those hours sat on the excersise bike over summer have done the job in getting my fitness up :smile:

I tell you I'm an utter convert now!

When I get down to 16 st ( maybe 17 st LOL ) I'm going to treat myself to a nice new road bike I think ;) even after a few days I think, infact I know I'm a roady.

Welcome mate. Think of headwinds as your friend. They're not when racing obviously, but when trying to get fitter and losing weight............
You've started something now - keep going, the bug will bite. Well done so far.

Bill

Fran143

Über Member
Hi Bikeyboots, :hello:Hello and good on you for getting on your bike and losing weight! :biggrin: See you at one of Yorkshires Sportives next year!:thumbsup:

OP
OP
bikeyboots

bikeyboots

Cheers Peeps :smile:

Still going strong, i'm up to about 260 miles in my first month which im really proud of. Thats mainly on the road, rutland water (around :tongue:) and a bit on the exercise bike.

Also i've been given another bike, its an old Claud Butler ATB/Hybrid Action Sport thing.. so its the start of a project too!

Top Bottom