Hello from Bedfordshire.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tovetune

Regular
Hello everyone, my name is Mick and although I now live in Luton I actually hail from what was a smallish village (in the 50's that is) called Toton near Nottingham, it was whilst living in Toton that I was presented with my first bike in 1959 , somthing I'd never seen before, an Army surplus folding parachute bike!
Over the years until around 1990 bikes remained my 'go to' form of transport, in the early 80's I spent a couple of years working in Liberia, West Africa, unable to drive I soon purchased a Chinese made 'sit up and beg', I soon gained quite a reputation as been the only white man to ever have been seen riding a bike around the community-great fun!

A few years after my return to the UK work commitments meant I had to learn to drive and consequently bikes became a thing of the past, now retired I have the enthusiasm to take up cycling again, away from the main roads Bedfordshire is blessed with green undulating countryside with lots of villages to explore, I'm bewildered by the advances in bikes and equipment over the intervening years - no doubt I'll be posing questions to bring myself up to date, in fact my first one is what is the main difference between Hybrid and Gravel bikes?

Looking forward to joining the cycling community once again.

Regards, Mick.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
:welcome:
I agree Bedfordshire has some great cycling . The Kog’s are originally from the villages of Ickwell and Northill .

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Hi from just down the A505! :hello:

A gravel bike is a road / racing style bike (drop bars) with a bit more off-road ability than a pure road racer, they have bigger frame clearances for thicker knobblier tyres. A hybrid is a bit of a do it all bike / jack of all trades, they're fairly upright in riding style, have flat bars, a wide range of gears similar to an MTB, medium thickness tyres... half decent on road and on light off-road surfaces, but not really excelling at either. Sort of an all rounder.

Welcome!

OP
OP
T

tovetune

Regular
Thank you all for the warm welcome and to Canucks Traveller for the explanation-thats one of my questions
answered.
I've made a start on viewing the Forums, theres so much interesting information it's a bit of a job knowing where to start, logically 'Bikes & Buying Advice-What Bike' will be one of my first Forums to digest.

Regards, Mick.

Top Bottom